EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have a five month old English Bulldog. Over the past 2 months she developed this chin rash. She is also scratching her belly/torso frequently, sometimes it results in scratches. We are currently feeding her Lamb and Lentil Fromm but we were mixing it with purina pro plan. We are going to solely feed her Fromm from now on but we are not sure if this is a food allergy vs something else? The vet 2 months ago said to put hydrogen peroxide on it, which made it worse. We put coconut oil and it sometimes helps but does not provide permanent relief. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• WilmaRash1.jpg
    WilmaRash1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 631
  • Wilmarash2.jpg
    Wilmarash2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,222

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have a five month old English Bulldog. Over the past 2 months she developed this chin rash. She is also scratching her belly/torso frequently, sometimes it results in scratches. We are currently feeding her Lamb and Lentil Fromm but we were mixing it with purina pro plan. We are going to solely feed her Fromm from now on but we are not sure if this is a food allergy vs something else? The vet 2 months ago said to put hydrogen peroxide on it, which made it worse. We put coconut oil and it sometimes helps but does not provide permanent relief. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to EBN to, you and Wilma. Her rash definitely looks like either an allergy rash or an irritation from something. Allergies can be caused by outside environmental reasons, like grasses, trees, pollens, bee or wasp stings, ant bites, or they can be caused by internal reasons, new soaps, powders, shampoos, laundry products, or air fresheners. Allergies can also be caused from foods, or treats. I'm glad you are transitioning her to Fromms from Purina. Purina is definitely not great food, and Fromms is a 6 star food, so is an excellent choice. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken, and lamb can also cause reactions. You can try any of the Fromms flavours without having to do,a slow transition, since they are all interchangeable without causing tummy troubles. Is there a reason why you are not feeding her a puppy formula? Fromms does have a Puppy kibble as well. Her chin rash could also be caused by her bowls. What kind of bowls do you use? Stainless Steel or Plastic? It is best to use stainless steel, because plastic bowls tend to get scratches or gouges in them and these can hold bacteria which can cause chin rashes and irritations. Stainless steel bowls are best, and should be cleaned everyday. I put our bowls In the dishwasher every evening and wash them overnight. You can also try to,use filtered water instead of tap water, as this can also cause chin rashes. Do you clean Wilmas face and nose ropes everyday with an unscented baby wipe or warm wash cloth? The nose ropes, and chin can hold moisture and bacteria in the folds and also cause irritations. Keeping her face clean and dry, will help. You can try using witch hazel to clean her folds as well. I hope it clears up soon. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello everyone,

Hi and Welcome to EBN to you and Wilma. Her rash definitely looks like it's allergy related or an irritation of some kind. Allergies can be caused from food, and many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken. Fromms is an excellent choice and many members feed this kibble to their babies. I'm glad you are switching her from Purina, as this is not a great food. Lamb can also be an allergy trigger, but you can try different proteins and flavours of Fromms, as they are all interchangeable without having to do a slow transition, and can be done without worrying about tummy problems from switching. Rashes can also be caused from outside environmental reasons like grasses, trees, pollens, bug bites, or from internal things such as new household products like laundry soaps, shampoos, carpet cleaners, household cleaners, or air fresheners. Rashes can also be caused by tap water, some people have had good results using filtered water, or they can be caused by bowls. What type of bowl do you use? Stainless steel or plastic? It is best to use stainless steel as plastic can harbour bacteria in the scratches or cuts in the bowls. It is best to wash the bowls at least once a day as well. I place my bowls in the dish washer every evening after their dinner and wash them overnight. It also helps to keep their faces, wrinkles and nose ropes clean and dry as well. Do you wash Wilmas face everyday with an unscented baby wipe or a warm washcloth? It's best to wash her face at least once a day, and dry it well. The nose ropes and wrinkles can trap moisture and bacteria can then grow in these folds and cause rashes or yeast problems. Keep them clean and dry. You can use witch hazel on a Q-tip or cotton ball to clean these areas as well. I hope her chin clears up soon and she feels better soon. Please keep us updated.

English Bulldog News Forums - The Proper Way to Clean Ears, Nose Ropes, Folds, Paws, Tail Pockets and Vulva

OP
E

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Thank you for your thorough response! We are using a stainless steel bowl, and we hand wash it with soap daily. We bought the the four star line Fromm due to it being grain free. We were initially not aware of Fromm, and followed the vets recommendation of purchasing Purina. We spoke to sales representatives that also indicated that the Fromm four star line is for all life stages. Given what looks like some allergic reaction we wanted to limit unnecessary ingredients. I am going to focus on washing her face with a baby wipe more to see if this helps. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your input!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh, sweet Wilma!!

Not sure the cause of the redness, but in the meantime, if you aren't there to wipe her chin each time she has water, it will stay irritated…(I found this out the hard way). I leave water out 24/7 for Bass and if I'm not around to wipe his chin every time he drinks, he will start to get red. His skin is super sensitive at times (especially toward peroxide) so my technique is creating a barrier so the moisture can not stay on his skin. Coconut oil is great, keep that up and you can also put a layer of vaseline on her chin. I also think one of the things that has helped a lot w/continual break-outs has been ACV. Have you tried adding that to her food or water? Maybe give her some yogurt too during and after the food switch transition…this could be her body
detoxing the crap food out of her system? No way to really know for sure. If the blisters get really sore you can put Neosporin on them (you may want to double check that w/your vet though)….and Desitin has been a big help here for moisture barriers and healing raw skin…Good luck, hope the food switch goes well for you!!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for your thorough response! We are using a stainless steel bowl, and we hand wash it with soap daily. We bought the the four star line Fromm due to it being grain free. We were initially not aware of Fromm, and followed the vets recommendation of purchasing Purina. We spoke to sales representatives that also indicated that the Fromm four star line is for all life stages. Given what looks like some allergic reaction we wanted to limit unnecessary ingredients. I am going to focus on washing her face with a baby wipe more to see if this helps. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your input!

:welcome3: to EBN

Monica and Laurie gave you great info.... so hope it clears up soon. Being she is 5 mths.... and this is only on her chin, I am wondering if they are pimples - acne? You can use Clearasil wipes -- also, do you wipe her chin after she eats/drinks, sometimes if it stays too wet this will form.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Everyone has you well covered. Welcome to EBN! My vet told me that sometimes chewing on some plastic or rubber toys can cause a break out on the chin also.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try her on a different flavor of Fromms I haven't read anywhere on here or anywhere where bully's are doing well on the Lamb & lentil. Id also try a teaspoon of yogurt every morning.

OP
E

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Thank you all for the great advice. I am going to be focusing on wiping her face more after eating and drinking. Will switch to Beef Frittata and also add more yogurt to her diet.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That is a normal rash pups get, and some adults do also. To prevent it, feed out of stainless steel or ceramic bowls, and wipe under their chin every time they eat or drink, and it should clear up in a week or so.

OP
E

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
The rash had been continuing so we went to the vet. The vet thinks its staphylococcus and prescribed mupirocin. Rapid improvement so far!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy it is clearing up

Rubble

Dec 16, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rubble
First time using a forum... Just wondering how the rash is doing.. i got my pup two weeks ago (he is 9 weeks) and just noticed a lil rash under his chin .. i have a plastic bowl... (which imma be switching for stainless steel tomorrow) wanted to see if u had any advice on how to treat it or prevent it from getting worse...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
First time using a forum... Just wondering how the rash is doing.. i got my pup two weeks ago (he is 9 weeks) and just noticed a lil rash under his chin .. i have a plastic bowl... (which imma be switching for stainless steel tomorrow) wanted to see if u had any advice on how to treat it or prevent it from getting worse...

wipe the chin with a paper towel or towel after eating and/or drinking

OP
E

EnglishLove

Nov 15, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Mupirocin really cleared it up a lot fast, it mildly improved to the chin whiping and diet changes. Here are updated pictures!Wilma1chin.jpgWilmachin2.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online