Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have seen this on FB, and it's a great reminder to always read the ingredient labels for hidden ingredients that we may unknowingly be feeding ourselves or our dogs. Peanut Butter is a great treat for dogs, and is safe to give as an occasional treat, to put in Kongs or other treat holders, or to disguise medication and pills, and we could unknowingly give them this new peanut butter, not knowing it had xylitol in it, and be giving our dogs something that could make them sick. It's also another example that low fat versions of food are not healthier, since when they remove fat to make it lower fat, they have to add more sugar and other ingredients, which are usually artificial or chemical to make them taste better. You are better off eating the full fat food and eating it in moderation. Examples of this is butter VS margarine, newer studies have found that our bodies don't recognize the ingredients in margarine, and so we don't digest them, and they have found the same ingredients that are used to make plastic in margarine, also low fat milk has more sugar in it, so more calories, and it's the same for all low fat versions of salad dressings, sauces, etc. The same goes for all treats that you buy for your dog, stay away from the ones from China, as they contain Glycerin and have been linked to many dog illnesses and deaths. It causes kidney problems and excessive drooling. Many store bought dog treats contain preservatives, chemicals and ingredients that aren't good for them. Stick to the natural treats and ones with the least ingredients. Good examples of Natural store bought treats are Fruitables, Wellness treats, Zukes's Minis, and Benny Bullies. Fruits and Vegetables also make good treats, like strawberries, bananas, blueberries, watermelon, green beans, and baby carrots.
I always say if you can't read or understand the ingredient list on a product, don't buy it, and stick to more natural ingredients for better health.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 180

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for posting this.

The problem with xylitol is it's not required to be listed as an ingredient and can be found in many products, like antacids, not only peanut butter. It's used because it's a sugar alcohol and found naturally in many fruits and veggies. For humans, it's a much better alternative to fake sweeteners and it is considered "natural".

I no longer give my dogs anything other than fresh fruit, veggies and foods made specifically for them. You just never know.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
if you have a food processor you can easily make your own nut butters. I wish I had started doing it sooner. It's nice knowing exactly what's going into my peanut/almond butter.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
if you have a food processor you can easily make your own nut butters. I wish I had started doing it sooner. It's nice knowing exactly what's going into my peanut/almond butter.

Thats such a great idea, then you know exactly what is in the ingredients. I have a Vitamix, and I use it all the time for Smoothies, but I should use it more and expand what I make in it, since it does so much more.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.