Help Needed! Need Adivce!

AbbyElizabeth

Nov 12, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cypha
Hey guys i'm new to EBN and i'm hoping i can get some advice - my 2 year old French Bulldog is going in for surgery next week for his soft palate, nostrils the works and it's the first time he will be going under anesthesia. I understand there are a few different options for the anesthestic used and I don't mind paying extra but just wanted to hear from anyone who knows which anesthetic is best for bulldogs and what to expect after the surgery? Any advice would be super appreciated :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Frenchie had this all done at age 2 and the recovery was quick, but one thing to keep in mind.... try to not let her bark after the procedure, stop if you can as it can casue scar tissue to form and another surgery would be needed.

I tagged Lisa and Ellie for the anesthetic info as I always get them confused

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hey guys i'm new to EBN and i'm hoping i can get some advice - my 2 year old French Bulldog is going in for surgery next week for his soft palate, nostrils the works and it's the first time he will be going under anesthesia. I understand there are a few different options for the anesthestic used and I don't mind paying extra but just wanted to hear from anyone who knows which anesthetic is best for bulldogs and what to expect after the surgery? Any advice would be super appreciated :yes:

Generally, it's Isoflurane or Sevoflurane.
Prior to anesthesia, your vet may decide to give a sedative like ACE (Acepromazine). Most here are against giving ACE as they believe it contributes to deaths caused by anesthesia.
If it is used, the dosage should be half of what is used for non-bracycephalic breeds according to a study done by Tufts University.

The most important thing here is whomever is performing the anesthesia (anesthesiologist, vet) be very familiar with brachy breeds and their breathing issues. The more experienced, the better the outcome.

OP
A

AbbyElizabeth

Nov 12, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cypha
Thank you both so much for your advice it's much appreciated - What anesthetic would you say is the best to ask for, for his operation? he's going in for surgery this week i'm getting a little nervous :fie:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you both so much for your advice it's much appreciated - What anesthetic would you say is the best to ask for, for his operation? he's going in for surgery this week i'm getting a little nervous :fie:

Hoping all goes well for your little guy!
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] --- which is the preferred?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

My vet always use Isofluorane. But, like NYCbullymama mentioned, inquire if they use ACE prior to administering the anaesthesia.

OP
A

AbbyElizabeth

Nov 12, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cypha
Thank you for all your help! ill be sure to ask all the necessary questions and will make sure he's in the best care :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes isoflouraine, sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online