Dental Cleaning Advice

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hi guys! Been awhile since I've posted but I need some input. Bo's annual dental cleaning is coming up and Brad (husband) is hesitant. He doesn't like Bo to be put under and feels like every time we do it, we are playing with fire. We trust our vet 100%, but just ultimately worried about our boy. Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I took Christine's advice and started buying raw marrow bones for my dogs… they didn't need a cleaning after I started getting the bones on a consistent basis. Just an idea… [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Annual? Does Bo have to do this every year? Yes, I would try the marrow and home brushing (unless there is a huge dental issue?).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks never needed a cleaning and she lived to 9... Marrow bones and antlers

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I agree frank has been a pretty aggressive chewer his entire life. I also followed advice from here and give him a marrow bone 1x a week, and when he doesn't have that, I hide his antler and bring it out every few days so he gets excited and chews on that. His teeth look great, they are whiter than mine and no bad dog breath to speak of.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, I don't think I would take the risk for a cleaning. Antlers are great, Tyson has never had a cleaning - he's 9 and his teeth look great. I also do brush them every couple of days.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Liz, I don't put my guys under for teeth cleaning either. We use Marrow bones, and I take them to a Groomer that does scaling of teeth. She took a course on teeth scaling for dogs, she scales and brushes their teeth, and does a really good job. My guys are good with letting her do it, so it's not a problem, but I can see that some dogs may not let you do it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I wouldn't put a dog down for dental cleaning either. Regular maintenance is usually enough to keep their teeth pearly white and their gums healthy. Of course, if he has a dental problem, then that's a different matter.

I feed my dogs raw. Their teeth are super clean and their gums healthy even without any brushing on my part at all.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Update--- we skipped the cleaning. He got a great bill of health and weighed in at 52 lbs. Where do you guys get the narrow bones from?

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
that is one of the reasons our vet suggested having our rocky fixed at the same time he was under doing his tail pocket surgery.. he said wasn't good to keep putting them under... I agree with everyone else.. last vet visit for my gucci the vet thought she was only 6 months old instead of 3 years because her teeth looked so well.. i would stick with the marrow bones..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update--- we skipped the cleaning. He got a great bill of health and weighed in at 52 lbs. Where do you guys get the narrow bones from?

I buy them at the local grocery store....meat department or in frozen section --- they may have them labeled 'soup bones'

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I buy them at the local grocery store....meat department or in frozen section --- they may have them labeled 'soup bones'

Oh ok, duh. And I wanted to ask about the antlers, too. I saw a horrific X-ray of a dog once, where the antler went through his upper palate. Do you guys cut the pointy parts off? That might be a really dumb question- sorry in advance.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
There's always a risk when giving a bullie something to gnaw at…splinters, bleeding gums, choking hazard ect… I don't think it's necessary to cut the pointy parts off, but if that makes you feel more comfortable then try it.
You can do a trial and error w/different kinds and see which kind works best for Bo. I think there is even a link on here to purchase them from a bulldog rescue - where all proceeds go to them.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh ok, duh. And I wanted to ask about the antlers, too. I saw a horrific X-ray of a dog once, where the antler went through his upper palate. Do you guys cut the pointy parts off? That might be a really dumb question- sorry in advance.

If I have an antlers with a point, I will only allow them to have it when I can watch them.... however, I did trash one once because it was too. I guess pointy, for lack of better word for my comfort. I do not buy the splint antlers as they do not last long and can break -- I only get the whole cut... and right now the moose paddle is the favorite

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Thank you for all the info! You guys are the best.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.