Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Hello all,
I brought a 9 week old puppy home last week (Friday). His stools seemed a little loose. I was told to use pumpkin to help ease his stomach. His stools have since changed to almost complete diarrhea. He still has an appetite, drinks, and is playing so I believe all is well. I talked to the breeder and he said my puppy was dewormed for the 3rd time the day I picked him up and that may loosen him up for about a week (until this Friday).

Should a breeder sell a puppy that has soft stools knowing they just dewormed them? My dog is such a beautiful pup. I would have put down a deposit or even my whole payment and just waited if he wasn't what I consider healthy. I tried to ask all the questions I could think of, but never imagined someone would sell and let a puppy go home that they pretty much expected to have issues for a week without telling that person.

Now I'm thinking 10 - 12 weeks is an ideal time to take a new puppy home. What are your thoughts? Any ideas of how I can help my puppy (Bruce) get over this diarrhea? By the way, Bruce is eating Taste of the Wild.

20151107_163941.jpg

Thanks,
Bruce

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I took home Lockjaw at 7 weeks. They are still transitioning from their mothers antibodies/immunity to their own. Plus the added stress of being away from their litter mates and into a new home can sometimes be very stressful for them- did you change the kibble he's on? If so, that could play a part too.

Have you taken him for his initial vet check yet?

The same thing happened to us with Lockjaw. When I took him to the vet for his check up - he had a little bacteria in his stool. Vet gave him another de wormer (just in case) and also a probiotic powder to put in his food. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It was made by Purina though. It did get better. You can also try just giving him plain hamburger/rice as well until it starts to harden. Give him a little while to adjust - and never forgot lots of love never hurts!

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Corine,
Thanks for your response. How long did it take to harden? With his diarrhea, he is going in his crate and I worry about the long term effects.

Jim

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi , congratulations on your new Baby, Bruce is absolutely Adorable. Many things can cause diarrhea in a new puppy, just being taken away from his mom and litter mates and going to a new home and environment can be stressful, or any new food changes. Things will settle down as he gets used to his new home. Other things that can cause diarrhea are worms or parasites, viruses or infections. Have you had Bruce to the vet for a checkup and a stool sample since you brought him home? My breeder gave me a contract when I brought my guys home, and it said in the contract that I had 4 days from day of purchase for the guarantee to be valid, to take my pups to my vet and have them checked out for any health issues or genetic defects. My vet did a health check, she checked their ears, eyes, teeth, gums, she felt and listened to their tummies, she checked their legs, she listened to their hearts, looking for murmurs, or other heart defects, and she did a stool sample to check for any parasites or viruses. Is Taste of the Wild Kibble a chicken based food? Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken. I hope the diarrhea clears up soon and Bruce feels better.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Ummm- I want to say prob a good 2 weeks to completely harden. And believe me I understand your concern with pooping in the crate . We went and got his sister at 13 weeks- Penny. The breeder kept them in a raised kennel- so she was used to pooping in her crate. That was a nightmare in itself! She was pooping 3-4 days a week in there. Now with consistency- she's doing it about once a week or week and a half (they just turned 6 months on Sunday). Consistency, routine and schedules are so important right now. With Lockjaw I noticed we would want to go out every 20/ 30 mins. So we just started taking him outside ALL OF THE TIME - and say potty or poopy or whatever your "word" is. If u catch him going in the house- pick him up and say "outside". Or keep his crate closed until you get it hardened (you can always crate train later). Penny never had a problem and still doesn't with accidents in the house- just pooping in the crate (which we've come leaps and bounds with) and Lockjaw never pooped in the house, but still has days where he will pee right Infront of me (which in my opinion is a display of dominance- show I just have to show him "I'm in charge Mr!). LOL - they are all different, but just try to stay consistent. I would though still have a still sample done by your vet though.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! You need to take your baby to the vet, diarrhea in pup's that young could mean many different things. I would bring a stool sample (if possible) so they can determine what is going on… it could be worms, giardia, or another viral infection. The problem w/pups that young is they can become dehydrated so quickly, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

I agree that your breeder should have NEVER released a pup that was having diarrhea, that would have been a red flag IMO. Please keep us posted on your baby!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN Did you change the food when you brought him home and how much are you feeding ?

OP
Vabulldog

Vabulldog

Nov 11, 2015
Richmond, Va.
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I'm feeding him a little over a cup a day. I've been transitioning his food gradually. I took Bruce to the Vet. He didn't seem to concerned. Thanks for all your input!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome4: [MENTION=15054]brucebruce[/MENTION] The first thing you should do is take your pup to your vet for a complete exam,and as mentioned bring a stool sample with you. I feel the breeder was not very responsible sending the pup out while still having loose stools. Not knowing the conditions the pup was raised in, there could be many causes. Also,as mentioned, pup can get dehydrated if having diarrhea.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.