Cutting a puppy's nails, ear cleaning, wrinkles, etc

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
My 6 mo old Molly (who I just got last week) is quite the ball of energy. I am just getting her to calm down enough to let me wipe her eye wrinkles out, and getting closer to her letting me clean her ears. She completely freaks out and runs when I try to do anything- the hubby isn't helpful about holding her. He's just not used to ever doing things like ear cleaning, nails etc.

Any tips on how I can get her to calm down and let me do these things? I need to get them done, but I don't want to traumatize her either.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
No tips, Vegas is 20 months and 61 lbs. of pure muscle and runs like a scared rabbit even though face washing has been a daily event forever! I usually have to sit on him like a horse and wash and dry his wrinkles. As far as nails, I take him and get them done, his are all black and it scares me to cut to short, and he is AWFUL, Petsmart charges me $11.00 to cut and dremmel them so they are rounded edges. Ears...I have a special ear wash that I got from our Vet, once a week I take him outside squirt it down his ears, massage it very good by rubbing alot under his ears, I try to rub at least 4-5 min. Then run for you life...he will shake his head and the solution goes flying everywhere, that is why I do it outside! I wait about an hour then I take a baby wipe and just wipe the insides of his ears out, the solution loosens up all the wax. I have no tips on how to calm her down, this is a routine we do all the time and Vegas still runs. I don't think you will tramatize her, just keep in mind it is WHAT IS BEST FOR HER.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
only thing i can say is keep working w her use treats. we have had lex since he was 6 weeks old the first 3 months when we did his nails we trimmed them w clippers, 4 months he didnt like the clippers at all. so we started going to petsmart and getting them done there, well we had a incident there and so we stopped going, so we decided to try grinding his nails at the house. the last 2 months he has been awesome for me, he doesnt like it but tolerates it, i try to catch him as hes "chillin" on the floor. i lay down in front of him put a treat in front of him and while hes eatin his treat i grab one of his paws and start grinding, when i switch feet i put out a treat again and do this with all 4 feet. as for the ears i use a wet wipe and i use my finger, i start rubbing the inside of his ear "like massaging the inside" and just keep getting deeper and he loves it, hell turn his head and just lay his head in my hand!!!!
now when its time to put desatin in his wrinkles once a week he doesnt like it and will run. usually i have to sneak up behind him straddle him and kind squeeze right behind his rib cage to hold him still and i have to be quick not wanting to pull at his back legs when hes moving around. when i use just a wet wipe i have to be fast or catch him while hes sleepin or watchin tv lol

have you tried wiping her wrinkles while shes sleeping? and mainly its just something you'll have to figure out what works for you and her...

Last edited:
OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Yeah, this morning I got her wrinkles while she was still sleepy and still inside her crate. I haven't attempted nails yet, but I need to soon.

My last bullie General was so easy. He'd run away when I got out the cleaning stuff or clippers, but he'd let me do it because he knew he'd get a treat once we were done. One time he ran away and hid just his head under a blanket that was draped over the arm of a chair, and his whole body was in plain view! I guess he thought if he couldn't see me, I couldn't see him! LOL

Thanks for the tips, I will just have to see what works. Wish me luck on the nails tonight!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Offer extra yummy treats and always approach from behind so you have control. Practice submission for toenail trims, you will be thankful you did!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I could offer Vegas a side of beef for a treat and I STILL would have to chase him and pin him down!!

L

Lucy-licious

The second Lucys toilet bag comes out she runs from me :/
But the daddy's girl will quite happily sit there good as gold n let him wipe her wrinkles
Cream her face, wipe her but n clean her ears and between her toes no problem.

I honestly believe she just likes to make mummy run :lol:

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Eeek, I am afraid to cut Molly's nails at this point, I'd hate to cut the quick and traumatize her. I think I will take her in somewhere until she calms down a little!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We use bribery with treats ... but Maggie still likes to run away when she sees the wipes etc coming out of the cupboard!! Although when she runs her head is up high, her tongue is hanging out and she kinda wiggles her butt as she runs so it is obviously just a game!! :luv:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We do Stig's wrinkle cleaning mostly at night, when he doesn't have the energy to run around anymore. He used to run away from the ear cleaning, but he doesn't mind it now at all. I think he actually enjoys it. We use a q-tip to reach the insides or just a damp tower for the outside. Sorry, we're still struggling with the nail cutting. He barks at the nail grinder so that's out of the question. We try to cut his nails when he's half asleep too, but he tends to just get up and walk away.

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - Stig always runs away with his butt wiggling and chin up when we take out the baby wipes for his butt after he does the number 2. But then eventually will stop and sit down (thankfully only on the floor!) It never occurred to me that he thinks it's a game. lol.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] It is DEFINITELY a game with Maggie .... thank goodness nobody videos us because I'm usually shouting .."I'm gonna get ya .... I'm gonna get ya .... I'm gonna get ya ...." as I fake-chase her!! :eek:

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Well got the ears cleaned yesterday. Squirted some solution in one ear, rubbed until she ran away. Repeat. Then she hid in her crate so I went in and wiped out the excess with cotton balls.

Today I got the nails done! I held her in my lap, even when she squirmed and tried to get away. I was able to get the front two paws myself, had to get the hubby's help to hold he still for the back two.

I might try and take her in somewhere to get her nails done, but at least now I know I can do it. :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Good for you! Congrats on the nails! I won't try nails, I'll pay to have them done first. I had quite a time with Ida and face washing. But I think routine is the key. She fights less and less every night. I think she actually likes to get her ears cleaned. I use a baby wipe and I start with those. Then I do her face. She still isn't thrilled, but does let me do it. Gertie isn't thrilled either, but is more willing than Ida is.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.