Allergies need advice!

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
I had Will tested for allergies. He seemed to be very itchy all the time. Although he only has had one really bad rash after a camping trip that we treated successfully with antibiotics. We tried antihistamine and prednisone? The antihistamines didn't really help the prednisone gave him severe diarrhea. So I tested test results revealed allergies to all kinds of weeds trees dust mites and mold. Vet suggested allergy shots and cyclosporine. Anyone have any experience with this. I just want him comfortable! Apoquel is not an option right now as I guess my vet has met his quota for the dogs he alreAdy treats.. Will is on a wait list for this drug.
Thanks in advance for helping. Lynn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ugh! Wipe after being outside with cool wash cloth... Fave, paws and belly. Also, if allergic to dust mites that includes storage mites so kibble in general will be an issue unless you store in zip lock bags on freezer until used as meal

OP
lynngosox

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Even if in air tight container [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Even if in air tight container [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Yes... Airtight is not enough to ward off those darn mites--- freezer

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
ugh.... i no to well about allergies.. we fought this for a couple years.. testing, shots, baths... one word that helped me the best.. apoquel .. if your vet has it.. get it.. works great..

OP
lynngosox

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] I wish Will could get apoquel but I guess they can only get a certain amount from drug company and they have met their quota. Will is on a wait list for this med. Vet said it would really help Will so I. Frustrated that he can't get it yet. Has anyone heard of this quota with this drug?

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
my vet did tell me that when it first came out that she got it to try and it worked really well, since she did jump on it and get it that she gets orders of it first before others and it is such a big hit that it is hard for others to get if they didn't get in on it from the beginning.. she told me that people are wanting to switch vets and come to her just to get it.. I would think as good as it is that it should be plentiful by now.. I am glad my vet put my abbey on it.. i do know what it is like to watch them suffer with the allergies.. breaks your heart when you can't help them.. one thing that helped my abbey was the malaseb shampoo. that helped with the scratching and reddness but unfortunately it only lasted about 3 days but at least she got some relief.. good luck i hope you both get relief soon..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@punky I wish Will could get apoquel but I guess they can only get a certain amount from drug company and they have met their quota. Will is on a wait list for this med. Vet said it would really help Will so I. Frustrated that he can't get it yet. Has anyone heard of this quota with this drug?

[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] has posted about it before

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yeah, last I heard they weren't giving any extra to vets. Zoetis was only providing enough for existing patients, no new ones.
This was a while ago though. Thought by now that would have changed, guess not?

But, some vets (mostly dermatologist ) will have some extra since many of their patients only have seasonal allergies and now that it's cooling down, many are no longer on it.
Best thing you can do is call every vet in your area and see if they have any.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online