What "extras" do you give your bullie for thier health?

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I would like to know what everyone gives thier bullies, such as supplements for joints, etc. Extras you put in thier food (like yogurt), things like fish oil for shiny coats. Basically anything that helps them. I have heard lots of different things and would like to see what is most commonly given.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
My girls get lots of "stuff". I give them NuVet Plus Vitamins, Wild Salmon Oil, yogurt, cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, shredded carrots, fresh and frozen green beans, apple, bananas, unsweetened apple sauce, I make "Vegas Stew", cubed fresh butternut squash, and an occasional scrambled egg. I think that's everything I've tried so far. I just switch these things up, to add variety to their meals. My daughter says her Bully loves fresh raw snap peas, so I may try those next. I haven't found anything they don't like or won't eat. So I'll probably try lots of other things as more fresh produce comes into season. I've also been making them homemade treats, which they love.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Only thing I have given Jozi besides good
dog food, Taste of the Wild, is pumpkin. That
was just to help her belly when switching her
food.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Belly gets Fromm puppy food with frozen blueberries,pumpkin,sliced bananas,wild salmon oil and I break apart NuVet Plus tablets when she comes in from going potty. She thinks they are treats. My bully eats better than me...

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
What about Glucosamine/Chronditin supplements? I was thinking about putting Molly on Cosequin, but I wasn't sure if I should start now at 6 months, or wait until she grows up more. Or are those ingredients in the NuVet Pet Plus Vitamins?

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
I have also been meaning to ask this same question. I already see some great ideas and look forward to hearing more. One thing I have started to feed my Bella is Extra Virgin Organic Cold Pressed Raw Coconut Oil. About a tablespoon or so. Here is an explanation I found online for all it's good qualities. It's good for humans too.

Do you know about Coconut Oil?
Added to the diet coconut oil can help slim overweight dogs, condition dry shabby-looking coats, offers some relief to painful arthritis or ligament problems, can help balance the thyroid, gives dogs a natural source of energy and helps keep dogs smelling better. My favorite use of coconut oil - improves digestion and nutrient absorption. I replace all oils in the doggy treats I bake with Coconut Oil.
People have found with topical use their dogs ear infections improve, as do flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and other skin irritations. It's also been shown to help get rid of moles, heal sores and condition the dog's dry cracked feet pads.
The oil can be applied to sores. It is slow absorbing so try to keep the dog occupied for several minutes after applying it. Try it on hot spots, sore foot pads, minor bites or even to clean ears.
Coconut oil will deodorize anything it touches and will make your dog smell better when it's fed to him.
Dogs love the taste of coconut and many will lick it off a spoon. It can be feed alone or mixed in dog food. Start very slow. Work up to a teaspoon a day for each 20 pounds of body weight. If you notice greasy stools cut back the oil for a few days. The oil will help detox the system so it's important to go slow and over several weeks work up to the full doseage.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION] NuVet also has a NuJoint Plus with gulcosamine and chrondroitin . I haven't used it, just the NuVet Plus that the breeder said to give her. Products They have an ingredient list you can look at online.

L

Lucy-licious

I give Lucy salmon oil and yoghurt, treat wise she gets boiled chicken pieces mostly...i tried veggies but she wont eat them at all.
Her new food that were gonna switch too contains salmon oil so i'll have to cut that back slowly, think i might look into the coconut oil though instead :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I know that [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] loves using the coconut oil. I am tempted to try it too ... what brand do you use and where do you get it from?? I've just run out of salmon oil.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I give Butler a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil every night. Since doing so i have noticed great results! i buy mine at sprouts farmer's market, but you can buy it online for around 10 dollars a tub. it looks like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I especially like it because i can do so much with it. you can cook with it at low temperatures (stir fry for humans) i like to rub it on my skin, i put it on butler's ears when he scratches them and it works better than cortisone or hot spot medicine or even neosporin.

i used to feed my old eb's nuvet labs multivitamin, but i don't anymore. i think he gets enough vitamins and minerals from his food (fromm pork and applesauce) but i did like nuvet.

i will share any fruits or veggies i am eating with him (if he will eat them and if they are safe for him to eat). He really likes apples, oranges, and kale.

plain yogurt, cheese, and pumpkin puree.
:up:

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
I think I will try coconut oil too. Not sure if I need to add salmon oil if she is already going to get those from the Fromm food I ordered.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva eats Fromm food the grain free ones. She gets frozen pumpkin and yogurt everyday. She doesnt really like veggies but I try. She loves fruit so I give her whatever we are eating apples, bananas, oranges everything but grapes and raisins. Also I just started giving her 1/2 tums in the am and pm for her tear stains. I also tried Vegas' stew and she loved it! I think that is it. I am going to order some of the Fromm treats and also try the cheese treats. Hope that helps!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
This is what I plan on getting this next time around...
Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 15-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 2) for $11.51. I don't think it would be within rule regulations to post where I get it from but feel free to pm me if you would like to know (I hope that is ok to say?) It seems to be the cheapest I can find this stuff. BTW, this stuff is great to use in replacement of butter, oil, shortning, lotion, lip gloss, cuts and burns, itchy skin, hot oil hair treatments, hair frizz eliminator,etc. We use it for everything!!! :p

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.