raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Another trick to boost immune system without always resorting to medication.
Turmeric powder
Edible turmeric powder is made from turmeric root. This root has many a good use.
Anti-bacterial (directly boosts the immune system)
Anti-inflammatory
Anti-oxidant
Supposedly good for the heart
Supposedly good in preventing cancer
Supposedly good for chronic conditions like arthritis and depression

Except for depression, our EBs qualify for all of the above.
Try a little pinch of turmeric power to start with every meal.
My dogs eat raw, so I add a pinch to their meal to kill off bad bacteria in the gut.

On a side note:
When I was young and got a cold or sore throat, I was always made to drink hot milk with turmeric and crushed peppercorns.
I would always make a fuss, as it was not the most pleasant remedy. But it wold work. After becoming literate and reading up on turmeric here is what I found.
Common cold is due to a viral infection. The danger is that the viral infection can compromise the immune system and secondary bacterial infection can kick in.
This is more dangerous than the viral infection itself. So turmeric helps in fighting off bad bacteria.
Milk and pepper are used to enhance absorption of curcumin, the magic compound in turmeric. Apparently it is fat soluble and piperine in pepper helps in absorption.
So grandma's remedies have something to them after all.

Cheers,
Raghu

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I swear! every month it's something new. Frank has had kennel cough/colds about 7 times in his short 1.5 year old life. He had it in the beginning of october. and last night he snotted all over my shirt and I just got a call from my boyfriend saying he was coughing up mucus. off to the vet we go.

My question, why is he always sick? He's had ear infections, stomach issues... he does attend a doggie playgroup 2x a week, and I do expect him to catch an occasional sickness from there. but not all the time like this.

Could his immune system be weakened somehow? Is there anything I can do to help that? Or is it time to hang up the boots on doggie playgroup... I'm so hesitant to do that because he loves it, and I love the socialization and how much it wears him out.

Currently I feed fromm surf and turf. no supplements at this time, but would be open to something new.

View attachment 92898

pic attached for cuteness

I'm no expert AND have never used the product before but...I have been researching the health benefits of raw goat milk for dogs. Great probiotic, more tolerable and easier on the stomach for dogs, quickly absorbed, and its a great super food. This website is from the company that produces raw milk for sale BUT the information is the same as other search engines. I might be buying it for goob and use it as his probiotic instead of plain greek yogurt. Maybe other people have better info on the subject...just thought you might want to look into it.:yes:

Answers Raw Pet Food Company: ADDITIONAL - Raw Goat's Milk

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm no expert AND have never used the product before but...I have been researching the health benefits of raw goat milk for dogs. Great probiotic, more tolerable and easier on the stomach for dogs, quickly absorbed, and its a great super food. This website is from the company that produces raw milk for sale BUT the information is the same as other search engines. I might be buying it for goob and use it as his probiotic instead of plain greek yogurt. Maybe other people have better info on the subject...just thought you might want to look into it.:yes:

Answers Raw Pet Food Company: ADDITIONAL - Raw Goat's Milk

Agreed. Some dogs don't react well to traditional dairy.
As they say, cow's milk is for cow babies. May just be too much to handle for doggie gut or many human guts too.
Luckily for me, both my dogs have a very high tolerance for dairy products.
They can consume milk, milk fat, yogurt, curd, cheese (regular and cottage) without any major tummy upsets.
My EB will eat anything I put in her bowl or hold in my hand. Once she even snatched a green chilli pepper and chomped on it.
The thing that gets her gut all messed up is an all beef meal raw without bone or raw beef kidney/liver.
So it is boiled beef for her or a wee bit of raw beef with chicken meat and bone.
Once in 2/3 months I give it raw intentionally to flush the system coupled with lots of other hydration.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.