madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I swear! every month it's something new. Frank has had kennel cough/colds about 7 times in his short 1.5 year old life. He had it in the beginning of october. and last night he snotted all over my shirt and I just got a call from my boyfriend saying he was coughing up mucus. off to the vet we go.

My question, why is he always sick? He's had ear infections, stomach issues... he does attend a doggie playgroup 2x a week, and I do expect him to catch an occasional sickness from there. but not all the time like this.

Could his immune system be weakened somehow? Is there anything I can do to help that? Or is it time to hang up the boots on doggie playgroup... I'm so hesitant to do that because he loves it, and I love the socialization and how much it wears him out.

Currently I feed fromm surf and turf. no supplements at this time, but would be open to something new.

IMG_4479.JPG

pic attached for cuteness

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does your daycare require kennel cough vaccines? Not a guarantee, but helps lessen the chances of getting it.

Does Frank have any allergies or on any allergy meds?

NuVet plus might be a good option to start giving him to help the immune system

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
His daycare does require up to date vet records and kennel cough vaccine.

I've pinpointed a food allergy to chicken. But still trying to figure out if he has other food allergies, or seasonal. He is not currently on any meds but gets Benedryl occasionally when I catch him chewing on his paws. I do wipe him down when he comes in from outside...

at first I had hope his runny nose was just allergies due to all the leaves falling. He has clear discharge coming from his nose. But the coughing up mucous gives me more cause for concern. We have an appointment at 3:30 today!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like his immune system is compromised. If you're going to the vets take a stool sample and ask them to check it for yeast. Sounds like he's been on so many antibiotic regimens that his good bacteria in his intestines have died also. So massive amounts of probiotics could help.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
that was extremely helpful [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

after a quick google search on yeast in stool, I found this article on systemic yeast infection in dogs. This is frank 100%... wow. I do have probiotics for frank, but my boyfriend is usually home at frank's feeding time, and is not good about remembering to give it to him.

https://www.vetinfo.com/systemic-yeast-infection-in-dogs.html

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
I felt the same way when i got buddha. He was at the vets office every week,our vet stopped charging us for the visit and would only charge for the medication! lol buddha has really bad allergies which caused him two eye surgeries we finally switched him to FROMM thanks to this forum and (knock on wood) its been about two years and no major problem !!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
His daycare does require up to date vet records and kennel cough vaccine.

I've pinpointed a food allergy to chicken. But still trying to figure out if he has other food allergies, or seasonal. He is not currently on any meds but gets Benedryl occasionally when I catch him chewing on his paws. I do wipe him down when he comes in from outside...

at first I had hope his runny nose was just allergies due to all the leaves falling. He has clear discharge coming from his nose. But the coughing up mucous gives me more cause for concern. We have an appointment at 3:30 today!

Any update about Frank, Madie? What did the vet say at his appointment? Hope he's doing better!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He's doing great, thank you for asking. I took a stool sample in, and she said that came back normal. So no signs of bacterial overgrowth. I questioned the yeast and she said that she thought that was very unlikely. She did however give him a probiotic with Kaopectate to take for 2 days, and I have starting him on fortiflora daily per her suggestion, along with fish oil.

She also suggested that frank take a few months off of doggie daycare and see how he does. It's made for a very energetic, stir-crazy frank. but I am willing to try it to see if it makes a difference!

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Just wanted to update everyone and say that frank has not gotten sick since I started him on the probiotic. We took about a month off of daycare, but have continued going 1x a week. Not sure if he's just getting older and not as susceptible to illness, or if the probiotic really did the trick. regardless, I will take it!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Just wanted to update everyone and say that frank has not gotten sick since I started him on the probiotic. We took about a month off of daycare, but have continued going 1x a week. Not sure if he's just getting older and not as susceptible to illness, or if the probiotic really did the trick. regardless, I will take it!

Excellent news so glad to hear

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

GREAT news!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That's great news. I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. It's probably a combination of both the probiotics and less exposure to,the doggie germs at play group.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
WONDERFUL NEWS, THIS MAKES ME HAPPY ABOUT FRANK. GIVE FRANK A BIG KISS FROM ME AND ELMO

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Easiest (probably cheapest too) source of probiotics is Greek yogurt. In India we just call it curd, and it is a part of our daily human diet.
It has active culture bacteria, the good kind.
If your dog can take it as is, a dollop with every meal is recommended. If not water it down and let him drink it.
Cheers,
Raghu

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Easiest (probably cheapest too) source of probiotics is Greek yogurt. In India we just call it curd, and it is a part of our daily human diet.
It has active culture bacteria, the good kind.
If your dog can take it as is, a dollop with every meal is recommended. If not water it down and let him drink it.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for the idea of dissolving it in water, never thought of that:blush2: Two of my dogs won't eat it while the others love it. I've given it to them by squirting it in their mouths with a syringe, and I can tell you I'm NOT popular afterwards:tongue: Greek Yogurt and Coconut oil has helped our dogs with various problems, I'm a big fan:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.