Urethral Prolapse treatments - surgical advice

sparty

Nov 3, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonardo
This is the third time our English Bulldog has bled around the urethra.. This third time there has been the most significant bleeding yet. Small puddles vs drops. Took him to the vet and they too are confirming uretheral prolapse. To me it seems obvious after seeing the pictures here and other places. There is a small donut on the end that is bleeding. The prolapse/donut should not be there.

Any experiences that can be shared? I'm thinking surgery to remove the prolapse and neuter to mitigate risk of reoccurrence.. Any bulldog vets experienced with this in the Pacific Northwest? We're in Portland OR

Thanks,

Sparty

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
here are some vets in Oregon that are member recommended:

~OREGON~

Roxy Ann Veterinary Hospital
Central Point, OR
541-664-1521

McKenzie Animal Hospital
Dr. Matthew Fricke
Springfield, OR
541-747-3859

Central Oregon Animal Hospital
Dr. Taylor Douglas
541-382-7067

SunRiver Veterinary Clinic
541-593-8128

LaPine Animal Hospital
Dr. Gordon Pickering
541-536-2001

Sorrento Animal Hospital
12730 SW North Dakota
Tigard, OR 97223
503-524-5029

OP
S

sparty

Nov 3, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonardo
Thought it may be useful to document and share my experience..

1. I have a male purebred - 3.5 years old - AKC registered - Grandma champion and in Bulldog hall of fame, mother champion, grandpa is champion. Our dog was bred aggressively for show, but we got him as a family pet. Thought AKC known breeder would be better way to go to insure healthy dog. Found breeder via AKC.

2. Unusual bleeding - happened around 1 year - just some drops, around 2 years same thing some drops - vet has no clue (Banfield), then about 1 week ago moderate to heavy bleeding from pee area but not in urine.

3. Banfield still no clue - so I do some research (engineer, not vet) and say wow this looks exactly like prolapsed urethra - vets confirm - multiple vets

4. Surgery planned to treat urethra. My youngest daughter is honors college freshmen in pre-vet - so I am familiar with vet schools in US - found a great hospital. Happy how this is going. Discuss with surgeon concern with recovery from anesthesia. Surgeon is very experienced - tells me shouldn't be a problem, I give her background information that breeder mentioned to me he had lost other family bulldog members from anesthesia. Again surgeon is very good and I appreciate she is listening to my concerns seriously. Surgeon asks about soft palate and saccules. We're not aware of any severe breathing issues so advise to monitor but not do anything for breathing now.

5. Surgery starts - surgeon can see while bully is under the saccules and soft palate. Reports major blockages advises to operate on to help. I go with surgeons recommendation. Concern is if we didn't there was a significant probability for trach tube relatively soon in life.. Also - this is procedure is outlined well here in forum for treating brachy syndrome..

6. Surgery goes well - no surprises here.. Pull the air tube and he doesn't recover, re-insert the tube right away. Ok very consistent with breeder reporting losing family members and there's swelling because of all the work in his air pipe. Decision - try recovery again or put in a trach tube? Went for the trach tube based on history and swelling - we thought this was more a temp trach tube than a permanent one.

7. Give about 2 days with trach tube in - he's in ICU whole time at hospital - couple times it clogs- ER vet there with another tube to immediately replace and re-insert. He gets excited naturally when he can't breathe - I see him pant a lot but it's not effective with trach tube - but rather minor hyperthermia.

8. After two days pull the trach tube and he breaths through nose/mouth ok.

9. Still recovering but doing pretty well as of today :)

Summary:
1) Don't let vets play down bully anesthesia concerns!- make sure they have a trach tube there and are ok inserting it if bully doesn't recover. This is more an insurance policy. Obviously concern is not while under - it's when they pull the air tube out and the immediate recovery period where bully is switching to normal breathing.

2) Temp trach tubes work - doesn't necessarily have to be permanent (but can be) - just allows swelling to go down after BAS surgery..

3) Do BAS surgery when bully is young as possible - better chances for avoiding a perm trach tube and having a better/higher quality of life - will have to see how this works out for us.

4) If Bully gets a temp trach tube then don't bring home!! Leave bully in ICU so if (when!?) tube clogs ER Vet there to IMMEDIAELY replace - don't bring bully home till he's breathing normally

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thought it may be useful to document and share my experience..

1. I have a male purebred - 3.5 years old - AKC registered - Grandma champion and in Bulldog hall of fame, mother champion, grandpa is champion. Our dog was bred aggressively for show, but we got him as a family pet. Thought AKC known breeder would be better way to go to insure healthy dog. Found breeder via AKC.

2. Unusual bleeding - happened around 1 year - just some drops, around 2 years same thing some drops - vet has no clue (Banfield), then about 1 week ago moderate to heavy bleeding from pee area but not in urine.

3. Banfield still no clue - so I do some research (engineer, not vet) and say wow this looks exactly like prolapsed urethra - vets confirm - multiple vets

4. Surgery planned to treat urethra. My youngest daughter is honors college freshmen in pre-vet - so I am familiar with vet schools in US - found a great hospital. Happy how this is going. Discuss with surgeon concern with recovery from anesthesia. Surgeon is very experienced - tells me shouldn't be a problem, I give her background information that breeder mentioned to me he had lost other family bulldog members from anesthesia. Again surgeon is very good and I appreciate she is listening to my concerns seriously. Surgeon asks about soft palate and saccules. We're not aware of any severe breathing issues so advise to monitor but not do anything for breathing now.

5. Surgery starts - surgeon can see while bully is under the saccules and soft palate. Reports major blockages advises to operate on to help. I go with surgeons recommendation. Concern is if we didn't there was a significant probability for trach tube relatively soon in life.. Also - this is procedure is outlined well here in forum for treating brachy syndrome..

6. Surgery goes well - no surprises here.. Pull the air tube and he doesn't recover, re-insert the tube right away. Ok very consistent with breeder reporting losing family members and there's swelling because of all the work in his air pipe. Decision - try recovery again or put in a trach tube? Went for the trach tube based on history and swelling - we thought this was more a temp trach tube than a permanent one.

7. Give about 2 days with trach tube in - he's in ICU whole time at hospital - couple times it clogs- ER vet there with another tube to immediately replace and re-insert. He gets excited naturally when he can't breathe - I see him pant a lot but it's not effective with trach tube - but rather minor hyperthermia.

8. After two days pull the trach tube and he breaths through nose/mouth ok.

9. Still recovering but doing pretty well as of today :)

Summary:
1) Don't let vets play down bully anesthesia concerns!- make sure they have a trach tube there and are ok inserting it if bully doesn't recover. This is more an insurance policy. Obviously concern is not while under - it's when they pull the air tube out and the immediate recovery period where bully is switching to normal breathing.

2) Temp trach tubes work - doesn't necessarily have to be permanent (but can be) - just allows swelling to go down after BAS surgery..

3) Do BAS surgery when bully is young as possible - better chances for avoiding a perm trach tube and having a better/higher quality of life - will have to see how this works out for us.

4) If Bully gets a temp trach tube then don't bring home!! Leave bully in ICU so if (when!?) tube clogs ER Vet there to IMMEDIAELY replace - don't bring bully home till he's breathing normally

Wow .... so happy your boy is OK and back home. this is great information, thank you for sharing.

Sending prayers for continued recovery.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am glad that Leonardo is doing well and hope that he continues to recover completely.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you very much for sharing this important information.

Congratulations on successful surgery on Leonardo and prayers
for speedy recovery!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online