Eating things not supposed to

Jmlevin

Sep 2, 2015
NYC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey everyone yesterday Boris when I was out chewed a piece of furniture and ripped the wood with the small nails that hold the material together out and I could tell he wasn't feeling well and brought him to the vet they did X-rays and there were 2 tiny nails in his stomach. They wound up having him throw it up and thank god he's ok. Today while I was taking a shower he chewed another piece of furniture which he's never chewed before and I saw him trying to rip pieces of wood and stuff out of the furniture. I really don't feel comfortable leaving him alone anymore. He's 10 months now and I want to get him a crate which was unsuccessful when he was a puppy he would poop and pee in the crate and roll on it and bark. What is a good size crate to get him at this age and how can I get him to make the crate a comfortable place for him which he enjoys to be in. Thanks in advance Justin

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey everyone yesterday Boris when I was out chewed a piece of furniture and ripped the wood with the small nails that hold the material together out and I could tell he wasn't feeling well and brought him to the vet they did X-rays and there were 2 tiny nails in his stomach. They wound up having him throw it up and thank god he's ok. Today while I was taking a shower he chewed another piece of furniture which he's never chewed before and I saw him trying to rip pieces of wood and stuff out of the furniture. I really don't feel comfortable leaving him alone anymore. He's 10 months now and I want to get him a crate which was unsuccessful when he was a puppy he would poop and pee in the crate and roll on it and bark. What is a good size crate to get him at this age and how can I get him to make the crate a comfortable place for him which he enjoys to be in. Thanks in advance Justin

What about instead of a crate, you block him off in an area with a baby gate or play gate type of thing. Like in the kitchen or laundry or an area that doesn't have anything he can chew.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have the 36 inch crate... think it is a Midwest life cycle. To start off, do 5-10 mins in the crate while you are n another room, give him a favorite toy or bone and DO NOT let him out unless he sits and is not barking. do this a few times a day to get him use to it.... no bedding or pads till you know e will not pee/poo. Then praise and treat him when he comes out so he knows he was a good boy.

Then start leaving him in for a 1 - 2 hour trip to a store.... stretch it to what you need over a week.

Keep in mind, he is still a puppy and will need to have his potty schedule kept

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I have a 36 inch crate and it's more than enough room. Just remember he is older now and can actually hold the pee and poo better. Make it a fun place with toys and a treat and follow the advice given by 2BullyMama above and you should be good to go. Mine are 15 months and 4 years old and have no issues being in the crate. If you have a mischevious pup it will save you a lot in stress, vet bills and most likely your pups life. Make sure to keep things to keep him busy because boredom is bad when they are pups. I have tons of deer antlers and nylabones around.

Good Luck!

Alice

Nov 4, 2015
Regensdorf
Country
Switzerland
Bulldog(s) Names
Alice
Hi. I also agree with blocking him off.
If you have to leave him for a bit maybe a stuffed Kong might help to keep his chewy habits to a limit. I put sone kibble and other nice treat bits inside the Kong and seal it off with peanut butter and freeze overnight. I have two kongs and Alice just love licking and bouncing it to get to the good stuff. It keeps her busy and out of trouble.

Our little girl is 1 now. From a pup she has been a real charm. No chewing furniture only used her toys and her mommies for chew toys.
We got a soft toy with plastic eyes as a gift, she has two pillows with plastic eyes since she's been a pup and she never bothered with them. However 5min with this toy and she ripped the eyes out, yes she ate them. She did vomit it out thou, her body is very good at getting rid of things unwanted.

Long story short now she can't leave any plastic eyes alone so mommy had to remove all plastic eyes and stitch up the holes.

So make sure if in doubt remove anything your pup might swallow. Play pin is a great way to keep puppy safe and mommy sane.

Good luck

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Blocking him off may work,but he is not a young pup, and if he is chewing furniture and wood-he may chew the walls,or woodwork,or whatever is in the blocked off area.
Blocking off little pups,before they get bad habits,seems to work better. For his safety,and the house,I agree a crate would be the way to go. A few large,durabones,or very tough similar things in his crate to chew. A couple of treats,when he goes in.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online