punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
ok, im puzzled at this one.. have a friend that has dog with a red eye that looks very much like a cherry eye but what has me puzzled is the dog is eating and going potty fine but then sleeps. has no energy.. i asked her to maybe take her temperture but shes not got back with me yet on that.. my question is does cherry eye make them have no energy.. i know my odie had it and i know it bothered him but never noticed him not having any energy.. she says her dog is not her self at all and its eye does look bad.. maybe scratched or something.. im not around the dog just pictures but i still dont understand why its just laying around sleeping.. she says its breathing sounds normal and eating is good.. shes taking it in morning but wonder if anyone else has any ideas about her..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wonder if the eye is infected and the pup is sluggish form infection ..... cherry eye i do not believe would cause the lack of energy

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Christine, Cherry Eye would not cause the dog to be Lethargic or Sleepy. Cherry Eye can cause eye dryness or irritation, but not usually infection. If the dog has an infection, fever, or virus, then it could possibly cause these symptoms. Since she is going to the vet tomorrow, he will check her over and maybe can do a blood test to rule out any infection, or a stool sample. I hope it's nothing serious and her dog is okay. What breed is the dog? Are there any other symptoms, like eye discharge, pain or fever? Is it an EB?

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
she is what some call a miniature bulldog, anyhow,, she looks like a bulldog and no other systems just some greenish eye gunk when it first started then cherry looking eye.. i will post picture she sent me.. but other then that just wants to sleep.. it started friday evening.. kinda hard to see its a close up picture..

IMG_6720.jpeg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
she is what some call a miniature bulldog, anyhow,, she looks like a bulldog and no other systems just some greenish eye gunk when it first started then cherry looking eye.. i will post picture she sent me.. but other then that just wants to sleep.. it started friday evening.. kinda hard to see its a close up picture..

View attachment 92817

Hi, the picture isn't 100% clear, so I can't tell for sure if it's Cherry Eye or not, but I don't think so. Cherry eye usually is in one corner of the eye, and looks like a ball or mass in the corner of the eye duct on one side of the eye. Your picture looks like the whole eye is red and irritated. You also mentioned that she has some greenish eye gunk in the eye. Cherry eye is not an infection so there isn't any eye discharge with it, and more often than not the Cherry eye will cause eye dryness that sometimes requires moisturizing eye drops. The eye in the picture looks more like it has an infection, maybe like Pink Eye? Or some other bacterial infection. I would take a visit to the vet and have the eye checked for any infections, so the proper eye drops or medication can be prescribed, and the eye can clear up. Also the vet can check to see if there is any scratches, or injuries to the eye itself, or check for Entroprian, which is caused by an eyelash or eyelashes growing inward to the eye, and this causes eye irritation and sometimes scratches, and has to be treated by a vet, and sometimes requires surgery.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
i agree with you about the cherry eye.. i was thinking of pink eye also but wasn't sure that dogs got that...lol.. i do think there is some sort of infection and could be reason for no energy and sleeping alot... thanks, i wanted another opinion on it but i think she better get her in to vet.. if it were mine i would have already had her there but thats me.. i am a worry wart.. if its broken toe nail they go.. my husband thinks i panic to much.. lol..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 92817

That baby needs to be at a vet ---- that looks like infection

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
well, she took her to vet and she told me vet said what she had was like a cold, gave antibiotics, eye cream and antiflamatory medicine.. which is what i orginally told her i thought upper respiratory infection because of the green gunk that she had but then next day it turned red like that i wasnt sure because i haven't seen it do that before.. and it was only in one eye.. well, anyhow.. im glad she got her to vet and she has a quick recovery... even the dogs that aren't mine worry me.. hate to see any dog suffer

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm glad she got it checked and it's being treated. I hope she feels better soon. Thanks for the update.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
well, she took her to vet and she told me vet said what she had was like a cold, gave antibiotics, eye cream and antiflamatory medicine.. which is what i orginally told her i thought upper respiratory infection because of the green gunk that she had but then next day it turned red like that i wasnt sure because i haven't seen it do that before.. and it was only in one eye.. well, anyhow.. im glad she got her to vet and she has a quick recovery... even the dogs that aren't mine worry me.. hate to see any dog suffer

right there with you.... dogs are such sweet souls and just want to be loved

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.