Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Good news! I took him to the vet, and it looks like it is just some sort of stomach bug. I did ask hi to do an X-ray, and there was nothing that appeared to be an obstruction. The vet said that his stomach lining looked thick, which would indicate a bug. Tucker got some sort of shot that is swollen up on his neck. The vet also sent him home with meds SMZ-TMP (?) and sucralfate, to take twice daily starting tomorrow. He also said not to feed Tucker tonight, but tomorrow give him a can of Hills Rx Diet Digestive Care i/d for both meals.

What are your thoughts on the food? Any better suggestion to restart his meals?

hi, sorry I'm late reading your update, I'm so glad Tucker didn't have an obstruction and that it's a stomach bug. I hope the medications clear him up and he gets better soon. I would give him the Prescription Diet since you already have it, even though Hills isn't the best dogfood, it is a specialty Digestive Diet for care of stomach issues, and since it's only going to be used temporarily for 2 meals, it won't hurt him to use it for the short term. Then you can feed him the bland diet of
ground sirloin and rice if he still needs it. When Dozer got sick from eating the sock, the vet also gave him a Prescription food with extra fibre to help him move his bowels, (I think it was also a Hills brand food). We fed him the canned food for two meals and he was able to pass the sock later on in the evening.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION] how's he doing this morning?

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
So far, Tucker has held down his breakfast. I chose not to give him the Hill's food, as my reasoning was that I have seen his vomit after eating rice and pumpkin, and I could tolerate cleaning that, but I was not sure about what the canned food would bring. :bad:

He is still looking pretty pitiful. I am including some pics I have taken of him just laying around. He has spurts of energy, but otherwise likes to lounge around. I'm just so blessed I can bring him to work with me so that I can keep an eye on him. And of course, Sophie too! Thankfully she hasn't gotten sick.

This was yesterday at work. He and Sophie were napping. He had his big head rested on her tummy for comfort. sleeping.JPG
This was last night, Tucker just sitting and looking into the crate.Tucker cage.JPG
[MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION], I would have gotten a kick out of a really loud fart, myself! lol Interesting that you mention acorns. That might be his issue. He and Sophie attempt to eat acorns daily at work. We have two oak trees out front, and each time I take them to potty, they like to pick them up. I try to discourage them eating the acorns, but now I will become more diligent!

I appreciate all of you and your words of encouragement. It is great to have a group of people who understand how I feel when my babies are having problems.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy he was able to keep it down, that first pic is ADORABULL he looks so comfy! You are so lucky to get to take them to work lucky lucky lucky.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
So far, Tucker has held down his breakfast. I chose not to give him the Hill's food, as my reasoning was that I have seen his vomit after eating rice and pumpkin, and I could tolerate cleaning that, but I was not sure about what the canned food would bring. :bad:

He is still looking pretty pitiful. I am including some pics I have taken of him just laying around. He has spurts of energy, but otherwise likes to lounge around. I'm just so blessed I can bring him to work with me so that I can keep an eye on him. And of course, Sophie too! Thankfully she hasn't gotten sick.

This was yesterday at work. He and Sophie were napping. He had his big head rested on her tummy for comfort.View attachment 92713
This was last night, Tucker just sitting and looking into the crate.View attachment 92714
@rjisaterp, I would have gotten a kick out of a really loud fart, myself! lol Interesting that you mention acorns. That might be his issue. He and Sophie attempt to eat acorns daily at work. We have two oak trees out front, and each time I take them to potty, they like to pick them up. I try to discourage them eating the acorns, but now I will become more diligent!

I appreciate all of you and your words of encouragement. It is great to have a group of people who understand how I feel when my babies are having problems.

Last year, Bentley picked up a couple of acorns and I think that is what caused the boisterous bellowing of anal air including his diarrhea. My gosh...my little guy sounded like a Water Buffalo with intestinal distress. "Yo! Air Bentley, what's up?" Bentley is not very big but he can fart like a BIG DOG. At any rate, we were on poop watch until the acorns passed. This year, both Bentley and Jewel have been real good about staying away from acorns thank goodness.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Thank God it is not an obstruction, stomach bugs will pass and this Precious Tucker will be as good as new.

Most Reactions