Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Worried Mom of Tucker, Please advise

I would just do bland diet if you did not but the Hills.... Happy it is not an obstruction
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

2. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom of Tucker View Post
    @rjisaterp, I saw the same thread on steak bones, but fortunately I have not given any to Tucker, and nothing new either. I've noticed he can suck up small items quicker than I can even see. Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.

How old is Jewel? I have heard that coconut oil can possibly cause pancreatitis. Have you ever fed her that? Poor girl isn't going to be able to enjoy the good things in life! I'm sure you will find something suitable to spoil her with, though!
    Jewel is now 2 1/2 years old. Yes I did give Jewel coconut oil as well as a small piece of cheese and little lunch meat because she supervises me making my lunch. She was on Fromm's food which contains 18% fat and we did the coconut oil...also got a little steak on steak night. And every now and then she got some fried egg on Sunday mornings. It all added up and took a toll on our girl. So now, all of that is cut out. As far as treats...Fromm makes treats that contains 5% fat (Liver and Cranberry) and our vet is good with that. Her food is Royal Canin Gastrointestinal which I add poached chicken breast to cut out the mundane. I also give her Nu-Vet vitamin supplement every couple of days because it has liver in it...I do not know how much fat there. We are ever so careful now because I almost killed her. I did a thread last year in November under Health topic.

I notice what you and @Vikinggirl discussed. Our fur kids are little vacuum cleaners. Last year, our Bentley got an acorn and he came down with the worst case of gastritis. The poor guy could not hold it and he had projectile water hose poop. I ended up taking the day off from work to stay home with the kids (Jewel and Bentley) and monitor Bentley. When I took him out in the morning (it was still dark) he tried to go and it was all air...that fart was so loud I swear he woke up some neighbors as their lights came on...maybe coincidence. That toot made the bean and fart scene in Blazing Saddles look like Bambi and Godzilla when comparing the scene to Bentley's thunderous evacuation of air. Gosh I felt so sorry for my little guy but I kind of had to laugh because the loudness of his passing gas was not expected. LOL. Needless-to-say, we try to watch Jewel and Bentley like hawks when they are outside and they are never outside unattended just for that reason.

I am glad to hear that it is not an obstruction and is only a stomach bug?

How is Tucker doing this morning?

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Great news, no obstruction!! I wuld also give bland diet for 1 week then slowly resume normal food. I boil sirlion and mix it with white rice. Just remember to feed 3 times a day with the bland diet because there aren't any fillers to fill their little tummies and they get hungry. I give 3/4 cup 3x a day.
    My smooshy face boy!

5. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Good news! I took him to the vet, and it looks like it is just some sort of stomach bug. I did ask hi to do an X-ray, and there was nothing that appeared to be an obstruction. The vet said that his stomach lining looked thick, which would indicate a bug. Tucker got some sort of shot that is swollen up on his neck. The vet also sent him home with meds SMZ-TMP (?) and sucralfate, to take twice daily starting tomorrow. He also said not to feed Tucker tonight, but tomorrow give him a can of Hills Rx Diet Digestive Care i/d for both meals.

What are your thoughts on the food? Any better suggestion to restart his meals?
    hi, sorry I'm late reading your update, I'm so glad Tucker didn't have an obstruction and that it's a stomach bug. I hope the medications clear him up and he gets better soon. I would give him the Prescription Diet since you already have it, even though Hills isn't the best dogfood, it is a specialty Digestive Diet for care of stomach issues, and since it's only going to be used temporarily for 2 meals, it won't hurt him to use it for the short term. Then you can feed him the bland diet of
    ground sirloin and rice if he still needs it. When Dozer got sick from eating the sock, the vet also gave him a Prescription food with extra fibre to help him move his bowels, (I think it was also a Hills brand food). We fed him the canned food for two meals and he was able to pass the sock later on in the evening.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

7. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Mom of Tucker how's he doing this morning?

Real Name
    Ginger
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker & Sophie
    Likes (Received)

So far, Tucker has held down his breakfast. I chose not to give him the Hill's food, as my reasoning was that I have seen his vomit after eating rice and pumpkin, and I could tolerate cleaning that, but I was not sure about what the canned food would bring.

He is still looking pretty pitiful. I am including some pics I have taken of him just laying around. He has spurts of energy, but otherwise likes to lounge around. I'm just so blessed I can bring him to work with me so that I can keep an eye on him. And of course, Sophie too! Thankfully she hasn't gotten sick.

This was yesterday at work. He and Sophie were napping. He had his big head rested on her tummy for comfort.-sleeping-jpg
    This was last night, Tucker just sitting and looking into the crate.-tucker-cage-jpg
    @rjisaterp, I would have gotten a kick out of a really loud fart, myself! lol Interesting that you mention acorns. That might be his issue. He and Sophie attempt to eat acorns daily at work. We have two oak trees out front, and each time I take them to potty, they like to pick them up. I try to discourage them eating the acorns, but now I will become more diligent!

I appreciate all of you and your words of encouragement. It is great to have a group of people who understand how I feel when my babies are having problems.

Mom of Tucker AND Sophie

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Happy he was able to keep it down, that first pic is ADORABULL he looks so comfy! You are so lucky to get to take them to work lucky lucky lucky.

12. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So far, Tucker has held down his breakfast. I chose not to give him the Hill's food, as my reasoning was that I have seen his vomit after eating rice and pumpkin, and I could tolerate cleaning that, but I was not sure about what the canned food would bring.

He is still looking pretty pitiful. I am including some pics I have taken of him just laying around. He has spurts of energy, but otherwise likes to lounge around. I'm just so blessed I can bring him to work with me so that I can keep an eye on him. And of course, Sophie too! Thankfully she hasn't gotten sick.

This was yesterday at work. He and Sophie were napping. He had his big head rested on her tummy for comfort.-sleeping-jpg
    This was last night, Tucker just sitting and looking into the crate.-tucker-cage-jpg
    @rjisaterp, I would have gotten a kick out of a really loud fart, myself! lol Interesting that you mention acorns. That might be his issue. He and Sophie attempt to eat acorns daily at work. We have two oak trees out front, and each time I take them to potty, they like to pick them up. I try to discourage them eating the acorns, but now I will become more diligent!

I appreciate all of you and your words of encouragement. It is great to have a group of people who understand how I feel when my babies are having problems.
    Last year, Bentley picked up a couple of acorns and I think that is what caused the boisterous bellowing of anal air including his diarrhea. My gosh...my little guy sounded like a Water Buffalo with intestinal distress. "Yo! Air Bentley, what's up?" Bentley is not very big but he can fart like a BIG DOG. At any rate, we were on poop watch until the acorns passed. This year, both Bentley and Jewel have been real good about staying away from acorns thank goodness.

14. Likes Mom of Tucker liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Thank God it is not an obstruction, stomach bugs will pass and this Precious Tucker will be as good as new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads