Gomer9855

Sep 28, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I tried to do a search but nothing came up. One of the bulldogs I'm looking after has a tongue that sticks out almost all the time. She has a huge underbite which is likely the problem. The tip of her tongue can get quite dry and is a bit darker red than the rest of her tongue. Looks like chapped lips. Is there anything I can do to soothe it? It doesn't seem to bother her but I feel it must be painful. Oil in her water maybe? I put coconut oil on her nose, should I feed her some too so it gets on her tongue?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have the same problem with Dozer, he has a genetic defect in his jaw, his jaw is much longer than it should be, and he has a severe underbite as well. His top and bottom jaws don't meet together, so his mouth doesn't close, and his tongue is always sticking out, or hanging out, which causes him to mouth breath and drool and his tongue gets very dry.
i don't think that coconut oil would help with the dryness, since it's in the mouth, and she would just eat it or swallow it, and it wouldn't stick to the tongue. I just make sure that there's fresh water available and he can drink when he wants too. You could try putting a product from the drugstore that people would use for dry mouth, something with Glycerin in it, but make sure that it's safe to use on dogs first, by asking either the Pharmacist or the vet. Most over the counter products that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs. Maybe there is some other product that the vet can recommend for dry mouth?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Joey's tongue is always out too, in the mornings it sometimes look a bit dry but it's not cracked or anything and she seems perfectly fine so I haven't really thought of doing anything with it:unsure:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are glycerin swabs that you can get at the drug store. They use them is hosp. for people whose mouths are very dry. Safe to use.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.