Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No yogurt, but she usually gets ACV poured over her kibble. Though, I haven't given her ACV in about a month, since I'm trying to clear her system from the Lamb and Lentil debacle.

The ACV is a natural anti bacterial and a natural anti fungal, as well as a natural anti inflammatory, so it is very beneficial for allergies. It also balances the Ph level of the blood, and kills the bad bacteria in the body so it will boost her immune system and help with her allergy symptoms.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The ACV is a natural anti bacterial and a natural anti fungal, as well as a natural anti inflammatory, so it is very beneficial for allergies. It also balances the Ph level of the blood, and kills the bad bacteria in the body so it will boost her immune system and help with her allergy symptoms.

OK, I'll start adding it again. I'll also do the salt soak. Thank you!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK, I'll start adding it again. I'll also do the salt soak. Thank you!!

We went through the exact same thing with lamb & lentil and switched over to salmon tunalini too and everything calmed down. It took about a month and half for it to totally kick in. The yogurt is the single most important thing to give Buster, his face tells the whole story. Whenever I would stop giving it to him it would cause probs. Good luck with the tunalini thing I hope it kicks in real soon. :yes:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I use Benadryl cream when Tyson has the itchies, it helps him from itching and making it worse.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
We went through the exact same thing with lamb & lentil and switched over to salmon tunalini too and everything calmed down. It took about a month and half for it to totally kick in. The yogurt is the single most important thing to give Buster, his face tells the whole story. Whenever I would stop giving it to him it would cause probs. Good luck with the tunalini thing I hope it kicks in real soon. :yes:

Oh wow, thank you for sharing this! I'm starting to pull out my hair. If it's not remnants of L&L, I don't know what else it could be.

She must seriously hate me now. I am forced to leave the cone of shame on her. I ordered her doggie boots that look sturdy enough to hold up to her chewing. They'll be here tonight. I'm really hoping they help her. I just can't let her keep scratching. I will soak her feet and then put on the boots.

Pray for us! :D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow, thank you for sharing this! I'm starting to pull out my hair. If it's not remnants of L&L, I don't know what else it could be.

She must seriously hate me now. I am forced to leave the cone of shame on her. I ordered her doggie boots that look sturdy enough to hold up to her chewing. They'll be here tonight. I'm really hoping they help her. I just can't let her keep scratching. I will soak her feet and then put on the boots.

Pray for us! :D

:pray::pray::pray: It will work out, the boots will definitely help out. You have to take a video of her with the boots, it's one of the best things to me whenever dogs wear boots for the first time. :)

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I will post pictures and/or a video. LOL!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Goodness, that didn't go well.

Firstly, I was able to soak her feet for about 7 minutes, which is great. But, later, I put the boots on her, and she pretty much lost it. She was biting at the shoes and Velcro. At first, with enough determination, she was able to kick off the boots and rip open the Velcro. I kept putting them back on, but she pretty much wouldn't even walk in them. I guess she wore herself out eventually and fell asleep (with boots sorta on) in the crate.

This morning, we cuddled on the couch (she kissed me - I guess she does still love me), and she laid there on the couch with the boots on. I carried her to the kitchen for breakfast and she ate with the boots on. The boots might just be an occasional thing. LOL! I can't go through that every day.

I wasn't able to record anything, though. :p After she crashed in the crate, I crashed on the couch.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh wow, it wiped you out too! hopefully she will start to get used to them and it won't be such a pain tonight.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yeah, it was just too much after a long day at work...I just couldn't fight for long. Thank God she went to sleep. LOL

I'll probably keep them on when we snuggle and when she eats. Hopefully, they wouldn't be needed after a week anyway.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, update...

I'd been using polysporin and Vetericyn on the skin outside of her ear, and my poor girl has been living in the cone of shame. The sweet girl even seemed to get used to the cone. (I, of course, felt like crap.) I've also been pumping her full of Benadryl for two weeks.

My plan was to wait until the skin was completely white and no longer red and then I'd leave the cone off permanently.

This morning, her skin around the ear and in the ear looked normal. I took off the cone. She did good for a few minutes, and then she went at it...scratched like crazy drawing more blood in the ear and outside the ear.

I decided it was vet time. I took her in and they were super busy. Actually, they tried to blow me off by saying, "Just give her Benadryl." :pissed::pissed:

I told them she's been on the stuff for almost two weeks!

Anyway, they looked at her (I left her there), and when I returned, the doc left a note that said this...

"I'm so glad you dropped Bella off with us today. It would have gotten much worse over the weekend if you waited. There is not a deep ear infection, but her outer ear (the "pinna") is VERY inflamed and just inside the ear. Not sure what started this. The redness around the ear is either from scratching or from an allergic reaction or both. The feet are red but not infected."

Then she prescribed Temaril-P tablets and Tresaderm Solution.

So, yeah...I've pretty much been torturing her for two weeks! How do you guys think this ear infection happened? I've been regularly cleaning her ears with witch hazel.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, update...

I'd been using polysporin and Vetericyn on the skin outside of her ear, and my poor girl has been living in the cone of shame. The sweet girl even seemed to get used to the cone. (I, of course, felt like crap.) I've also been pumping her full of Benadryl for two weeks.

My plan was to wait until the skin was completely white and no longer red and then I'd leave the cone off permanently.

This morning, her skin around the ear and in the ear looked normal. I took off the cone. She did good for a few minutes, and then she went at it...scratched like crazy drawing more blood in the ear and outside the ear.

I decided it was vet time. I took her in and they were super busy. Actually, they tried to blow me off by saying, "Just give her Benadryl." :pissed::pissed:

I told them she's been on the stuff for almost two weeks!

Anyway, they looked at her (I left her there), and when I returned, the doc left a note that said this...

"I'm so glad you dropped Bella off with us today. It would have gotten much worse over the weekend if you waited. There is not a deep ear infection, but her outer ear (the "pinna") is VERY inflamed and just inside the ear. Not sure what started this. The redness around the ear is either from scratching or from an allergic reaction or both. The feet are red but not infected."

Then she prescribed Temaril-P tablets and Tresaderm Solution.

So, yeah...I've pretty much been torturing her for two weeks! How do you guys think this ear infection happened? I've been regularly cleaning her ears with witch hazel.

DAMN!!! Deep ear infection is usually water, I think --- bath or shower or rain the week before it started?

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
DAMN!!! Deep ear infection is usually water, I think --- bath or shower or rain the week before it started?

I gave her a bath last weekend, but she'd been scratching the week before that. I wonder if I let the witch hazel get too far into the ear canal...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I gave her a bath last weekend, but she'd been scratching the week before that. I wonder if I let the witch hazel get too far into the ear canal...

:hmm: i would not think so as it is a natural drying agent --

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe those meds will be the answer to all of this. Im happy you took her in. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.