Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella has been scratching around her ear recently. I thought she needed a bath, so I gave her one. Then I noticed there was a red blotchy spot near her ear--right outside the ear. I started spraying Vetericyn on the spot. She still scratched.

Now, the red blotch turned into a sore, and I see blood IN her ear. What's going on?? I thought it was wax, but I think it's blood. I just wiped with a Mal wipe.

FYI - I clean her ears daily with witch hazel.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thinking... I suppose it's possible she scratched the skin blotch and cut the inside and outside of her ear.

Her other ear is fine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was going to say nail scratch.... Lambeau had one last week , think her want to get to is butt

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Whew! A scratch makes me less panicky. Any thoughts on what I should put on the sores for healing. She absolutely will not stop scratching, so she's wearing the cone of shame. :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Cali, the sores are caused by Bella scratching her ears, I'm going through this with Dozer right now because of his allergies and yeasty ears. I've been cleaning the outer parts of his ears everyday with a unscented sensitive baby wipe, and once a week with a ear cleaner. Itchy ears can be caused by allergic reactions, yeast infections, or ear mites. I would clean his ears, and put some polysporin ointment on his sores, and keep an eye on them. If they don't clear up in a week or two, then I would take her to the vet to have him check her ears and make sure she doesn't have a bacterial ear infection, in which case she would need prescription antibiotic ears drops. I hope her ears clear up soon and she feels better soon.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

Thank you! I wish there was something I could put on her paws so she can't hurt herself.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
you could try little baby socks, we've done that with Buster before. I was going to say that the vetrycin should heal it up, might take a little time though.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
you could try little baby socks, we've done that with Buster before. I was going to say that the vetrycin should heal it up, might take a little time though.

Yeah, but the problem is she would chew on the socks when I'm not around. She'd probably swallow them, creating a bigger problem.

Would neosporin be the same as polysporin?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Have you tried soaking her paws in Epsom Salts and warm water or Apple Cider Vinegar and warm water? Stand her in the tub, and take a container or a small basin and put equal amounts of Epsom salts or vinegar and water and have her stand in it for around 10 mins or as long as she will.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Have you tried soaking her paws in Epsom Salts and warm water or Apple Cider Vinegar and warm water? Stand her in the tub, and take a container or a small basin and put equal amounts of Epsom salts or vinegar and water and have her stand in it for around 10 mins or as long as she will.

I have not, but I will do that. I have the Epsom salt and the basin. So, you think that'll stop her from scratching and licking her paws (which she does a lot, too).

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The thing is, I'm wondering if the paw licking and ear scratching are remants of her lamb allergy. (I just switched from Lamb and Lentil to Salmon Tunalini.)

I'm trying to give it a little time to see if it resolves. She's never had a grass (environmental) allergy that I know of.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It will help the paws heal, and help with the itching. Itchy paws and licking are both signs of allergies. Does Bella get any Probiotics like yogurt in her food? I give my guys yogurt in their morning kibble every morning, and I give them Apple Cider Vinegar in their evening kibble or in their drinking water everyday. Both are good for boosting the immune system, which helps with allergies.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It will help the paws heal, and help with the itching. Itchy paws and licking are both signs of allergies. Does Bella get any Probiotics like yogurt in her food? I give my guys yogurt in their morning kibble every morning, and I give them Apple Cider Vinegar in their evening kibble or in their drinking water everyday. Both are good for boosting the immune system, which helps with allergies.

No yogurt, but she usually gets ACV poured over her kibble. Though, I haven't given her ACV in about a month, since I'm trying to clear her system from the Lamb and Lentil debacle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.