Kind of graphic pics. Weird paw pad disorder.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I think you are on the right track- this does not look like hyperkeritosis to me.

I think so as well. I appreciate the agreement. I talked to a vet that had a problem with her dog that was similar: dog cut it's paw pad, turned infected, then turned into a cancerous tumor which had to be removed.

Could be Taco stepped on a rock, got this, and it might have turned into something bigger. Or maybe just encouraged whatever was in his body already?

This means after a consulatation, they will probably want to get a sample for the dermatologist, and then talk about removal. I have also talked to people who have spent thousands of dollars on just testing their dogs, and the conditions still appear, even after being removed. I think the policy across the board is going to be CYA and nobody will guarantee it won't come back.

Most insurance will not cover pre-exisiting conditions and with most, if you do not get the insurance as a puppy,like the day you bring them home, it may not be worth it.

We had talked about it the day we adopted him, as he was 35lbs (a year in December with us.) He's 72lbs now, and aside from his bum paw, healthy as a horse:

1f0832135075316c434da958d0ad2099.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think so as well. I appreciate the agreement. I talked to a vet that had a problem with her dog that was similar: dog cut it's paw pad, turned infected, then turned into a cancerous tumor which had to be removed.

Could be Taco stepped on a rock, got this, and it might have turned into something bigger. Or maybe just encouraged whatever was in his body already?

This means after a consulatation, they will probably want to get a sample for the dermatologist, and then talk about removal. I have also talked to people who have spent thousands of dollars on just testing their dogs, and the conditions still appear, even after being removed. I think the policy across the board is going to be CYA and nobody will guarantee it won't come back.

We had talked about it the day we adopted him, as he was 35lbs (a year in December with us.) He's 72lbs now, and aside from his bum paw, healthy as a horse:

1f0832135075316c434da958d0ad2099.jpg

He looks great! Keep us posted after the consult.... and I agree, you will most likely get a lot of CYA comments and no guarantee of it not returning (sad, but true)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Praying for Taco that his paw can be operated on and will clear up completely.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel has similar pads, but not that severe. The vet trimmed them and told me I can do it myself. I really don't like doing it--so afraid I'll hurt her. I actually thought she had a deep cut on her pad. I hope you can get to the root of it and give him some relief.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Praying for Taco that his paw can be operated on and will clear up completely.

Mabel has similar pads, but not that severe. The vet trimmed them and told me I can do it myself. I really don't like doing it--so afraid I'll hurt her. I actually thought she had a deep cut on her pad. I hope you can get to the root of it and give him some relief.

Thanks to you both. I trimmed it down with a pair of super sharp scissors. Didn't seem to hurt him, but I was scared to go to far. It fell apart in my fingers, like if you chewed up a bunch of sunflower seeds and spit them into a cup, and let them dry, just like that. He limps only when we walk on gravel, otherwise, you wouldn't notice.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Whatever it is, it has started rapidly growing. Taco is limping, and putting little to no weight on that paw any more. It has started pressing into the paw pad, and seems to have a "quick" similar to a nail, like there are blood vessels in there.

All of the vets I talked to quoted quite a bit of money to operate. My vet has been scheduled to do it this Monday (the 1st of December.) Taco can't eat for 12 hours, and I will drop him off in the morning. I have asked that they remove the growth, and look for a foriegn object underneath. I'm betting they will find something. They are going to X-ray it also to make sure they get everything out. My vet kept calling it a "horned paw," which doesn't seem very scientific to me, but he was willing to remove it.

The healing process is going to be the biggest burden. Being it's on his paw pad, the vet said any amount of weight or pressure will cause it to split the sutures open, so he'll have to be in a sock and a cone for TWO MONTHS. This is going to be a tremendous toll, but I'm hoping that it will all be done with and Taco can be back to his usual romping self.

That being said, I'm hoping to find a sock that can go all the way up his leg, so I don't have to worry about him licking it or getting it off.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
3//03/15

2258cf173027702b20ff0a80ba5ad3f2.jpg

6/11/15

4b338fab9d0ea678819e8303cddc7443.jpg

past month:

998600894a095f29f665349784c5fa90.jpg

Past week:

133a31f4327abaffaf208455c5fabae4.jpg

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
OUCH.... is it getting better?

No, it's getting worse. I'm anxious about his surgery a week today, as he will be getting put under. I've been scouring Amazon for long socks that I can put on to help him heal afterwards. I let him lick to his hearts content, because I'm sure it's soothing, but it will be two months of a cover and having to clean and lotion, from what my vet says.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No, it's getting worse. I'm anxious about his surgery a week today, as he will be getting put under. I've been scouring Amazon for long socks that I can put on to help him heal afterwards. I let him lick to his hearts content, because I'm sure it's soothing, but it will be two months of a cover and having to clean and lotion, from what my vet says.

What type of sock? can you use a toddler crew sock

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
What type of sock? can you use a toddler crew sock

I was hoping to find something that covers but breaths, that goes far enough up his leg he can't pull it off. He will essentially have to keep pressure off that paw for the duration of the healing process, which you know, sounds impossible.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Wow I am simply amazed by these pictures (I'm a scientist). There must be a root for the quick and nail bud in the paw pad that I'm sure the vet will go deep enough to remove. The healing process will be long, but he's already gotten used to not using that paw. There are even winter booties that can be used with velcro straps (muttluks are what we use). Just use 1, because they release heat through their paw pads too. Lola is a stinker and licks her paws when we're not around, so I sense the cone will also be needed. Sigh. I hope he gets the roots (i.e. stem cells that give rise to that entire nail structure) out. Otherwise it will grow back, but you now know what it looks like early, and you can surely get it then if not now. Good luck with the surgery!!

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Your picture progression is so interesting! Can't wait to hear what they find. Anyhow, what about baby tights and then cut leg off to create the cover? Just need some Velcro strips to hold it up where he can't reach... Just a thought.

Good luck in surgery!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I was thinking a toddler sock and the self sticking bandage tape. It will stick to itself but not to fur. I hope it all comes out with this surgery any it doesn't return. I am very interested in hearing what they find. I am amazed at the progressive pictures too. I'm wondering if the vet is going to try to put it in some sort of a sling to keep weight off of it. I will be thinking of you and watching for updates.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.