URGENT!!! Please I need help here!! I don't know where to turn to anymore!

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Hello,
I just don't know what to do anymore or where to turn.
I am at a complete loss here.
Lily will be 4 in a a few months and she weighs 39lbs.
I have never had an issue with food allergies since I started home cooking for her about 3 years now.
That is until 3 months ago.
Out of nowhere Lily's paws got red.
She licks and bites them all the time.
I have taken her to the vet 3 times now. I have tried countless options and meds.
I have switched her protein from beef to turkey/lamb.
She seems to be fine with everything else except her paws.
Here is a list of all the things that I've tried and the meds the vet gave us.

Apoquel 16mg 7 days,
Oclacitinib 12mg 5 days
Chlorhexidine Shampoo
Malaseb Shampoo
Hexachlor-K Shampoo
Dermabenss Shampoo
Witch Hazel
Cefpodoxime 100mg 10 days
Bendarly 2x a day

I have no idea what could be causing her paw issues. Nothing seems to help.
Can anyone please give me advice on what to do next.
Do I take her back to the vet yet again? Nothing they gave us seemed to help.
Why can't I figure out what the problem is??
It's so frustrating and I feel so bad for Lily.
I just want her paws to go back to normal like before.

Please any help and I would be so grateful!!

IMG_1800.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since it is just her paws.... it could be environmental (grass, weeds, pollen or something in the rugs) does he face get red too?

Have you tired to wipe her paws after each outing with a cool wash cloth?

Banks was allergic to everything green and wiping her paws and belly after being out did help, along with Benedryl

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Since it is just her paws.... it could be environmental (grass, weeds, pollen or something in the rugs) does he face get red too?

Have you tired to wipe her paws after each outing with a cool wash cloth?

Banks was allergic to everything green and wiping her paws and belly after being out did help, along with Benedryl

Yes I wipe her paws down everytime she comes back in from outside.
No her face is never red. It's so strange its only her paws. And nothings changed in the house like carpet cleaners ect..
Should I maybe clean the carpet and chair with something different??

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Lisa, I'm sorry you're having problems :( Can it be anything else than food that has change? New detergent, cleaning products, new bed, toys, treats, carpets, new plants in garden, anything? Sometimes they can be very sensitive and it doesn't have to be the food. Are all the paws red?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes I wipe her paws down everytime she comes back in from outside.
No her face is never red. It's so strange its only her paws. And nothings changed in the house like carpet cleaners ect..

I've been having this issue on and off with Lambeau for the past two months too.... he has ulcers on the webbing of the pads. Our vet gave us Neo-Predef powder and that seems to be doing the trick, but it does not help with identify the cause, which I still have not figured out.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Since its only his paws and no where else, my guess is contact in some form. Environmental in the grass, anything new used at home. Detergents, cleaners, etc. A warm epsom salt soak works well to soothe the irritation.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Since its only his paws and no where else, my guess is contact in some form. Environmental in the grass, anything new used at home. Detergents, cleaners, etc. A warm epsom salt soak works well to soothe the irritation.

Ok I will try the epsom salt. I'll try it in the bath tub...... So how much? For how long? And how often?

If it is our Detergents would that only effect her paws? She lays on everything that is washed in our detergent. All the pillows and bedding.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Has the vet taken any tests, skin samples or anything? Have you given her probiotics? It could be yeast too and then antibiotics will only make it worse.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus will show a food allergy in the form of cysts between his toes, ear infections, or worst case, vomiting. I would recommend using a food that has a novel protien. We are currently using duck with great results.
81C1L5mzDjL._SL1500_.jpg
well certainly I copied the wrong food as you do not have a cat! lol, anyway just look into the same thing for dogs!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Brutus will show a food allergy in the form of cysts between his toes, ear infections, or worst case, vomiting. I would recommend using a food that has a novel protien. We are currently using duck with great results.
81C1L5mzDjL._SL1500_.jpg
well certainly I copied the wrong food as you do not have a cat! lol, anyway just look into the same thing for dogs!

I am glad you caught yourself [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

The issue does seem to be some sort of a contact dermatitis. I am no vet by any means. Was the yard sprayed with any chemicals recently? I remember I had put down some organic fertilizer on our yard and Jewel came down with this issue.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I am glad you caught yourself @brutus77

The issue does seem to be some sort of a contact dermatitis. I am no vet by any means. Was the yard sprayed with any chemicals recently? I remember I had put down some organic fertilizer on our yard and Jewel came down with this issue.

What should I do?? What did you do?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm late to this, but I was going to suggest the fertilizers or anything that you spray outside...

What about house cleaners… floors, carpets, do you use Febreeze?!! My Bella had a horrible reaction to Febreeze onetime. We have a LOT of allergies in my home, and I wash EVERYTHING w/All free & clear (it was recommended by my daughter's dermatologist).

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Well we have been dealing with the same thing for months!!! Vet did a skin scrape on her front paws and turns out it's demodex mange!!! It's only on her paws...been on ivermectin now for 3 weeks and what a difference. Have your vet check for that#

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.