My Bully's Mental Health: Does He have Psychological issues ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I've been watching my Bully a lot lately, and have noticed some rather odd behavior that I have become concerned with. For one, he has stopped playing with his toys. He sleeps a lot, more then I really think is
healthy even for a Bulldog. And when he is awake, he sits close to a corner of the room and stare's at the wall, or just stare's into space for long periods of time. This I have found rather alarming. He is only 5-Years old, soon to be 6. I'm just wondering if Maximus has unknown Psychological issues going on causing this
bizarre behavior.

I don't know what I should be doing for Maximus at this point. If anyone can offer their insight or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
From watching Lilly she pretty much blanks out every day
I think with his age its pretty normal for him to slow down a little and nap more often sometimes they do it out of boredom too
If you worried book him in for a full check up just to be on a safe side x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like he might be bored.... Lambeau does this when Cheli does not want to play, he just sits and stares at all the toys on the floor so I will take him outside and let them walk around the yard. Does Max have bones .... antlers or marrow bones to chew on?

Sleep .... it is not abnormal for them to sleep about 18 hours a day. Small windows of activity then long periods of sleep

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] I agree with Pati. If you are worried, I would take him for a check up. Bring a stool sample, and a urine sample. Have the vet listen to his heart, and just get a
general check up. Max may just be bored, as Christine said,but you will feel better if you know there is nothing physically wrong. Of course, they could not tell if there is something mentally going on-but I think you would feel better if he had a physical.( By the way,I used to live in Toms River on Cox Crow Road)

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, Maximus was just at the Vet this past Friday - to have his Tail Pocket Checked, and he got a thorough checkup. I don't know what type of professional to see regarding my concerns regarding Maximus' mental state. It's very odd behavior indeed. He will
just sit and stare or sit in the corner and stare at the wall. Very peculiar.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It's a possibility that he is having petite mal seizure,have you spoken to him,or waved your hands in front of him when he is doing this,to see if he responds?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, Maximus was just at the Vet this past Friday - to have his Tail Pocket Checked, and he got a thorough checkup. I don't know what type of professional to see regarding my concerns regarding Maximus' mental state. It's very odd behavior indeed. He will just sit and stare or sit in the corner and stare at the wall. Very peculiar.

Can you take a video to show us (and your Vet), otherwise it's impossible
to judge his behavior. What did your Vet say as you described this and/or
were labs drawn?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Does he ever have his head pressed to the wall? Head pressing can be serious. I am not trying to scare you but it is something to be aware of. It could be something as simple as he just prefers to sit in the corner!

Dogs Who Head Press Should See A Vet ASAP. Recognizing This Behavior Could Save Your Dog’s Life. » DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family « Keywords: head pressing, neurological condition, metabolic condition, liver shunt

Monty often sits and stares into space but it will be anywhere in the room.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
As Ftse has got older he will often sit in the corner of the room and stare but I have worked out this is when something small has changed or he is just being sulky for some reason and Ftse sleeps long through the day

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I don't thing the sleeping part is strange... my bulldogs sleeps basically ALL the time, no joke. They wake up sometimes for sounds, runs out and barks and wonders around in the garden for a few minutes before going inside to sleep again. The only time they are active for longer than a few minutes is when my husband comes home from work or if I physically play with them.

The staring sounds a bit odd though... does he sit close to the wall and stares at it? Can it be that he's upset about something? When we got Bennie Boeboe sat in the corner for days cos she was upset about the new puppy...

If you call him when he does it, does he respond and snaps out of it?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
No, Maximus does not do "head pressing" against the wall. I've read about that, and yes, that is very serious. He just sits and stares.
Sometimes he responds if I call him, but most times he does not, he just continues to sit and stare. If I lay on the floor with him,
he will pounce on me to give me Kisses, and he will lick my face all over for a good 15-minutes until he's had enough of me. LOL.
He likes "Buddy Time" with me - I sit on the floor with him, just next to him. He likes that. No interaction, No Play. He just likes
someone to sit on the floor with him. He is 88-lbs. His weight is a problem, so he is not very active. He is on Thyroid medication,
and Allergy Medication (Apoquel) and Anti-fungal medication (Ketoconazole) and Eye Medication for Dry eye. Plus he has Hyperkeratosis on his paw pads. He is a major Health Challenge for me, and he is only 5-years old. He is at a Vet every week or every other week - it's stressful and expensive. But I love him to death! He is such a Sweet boy! I'm glad I have him!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aww, he sounds like a sweetheart:luv:

Maybe he's just daydreaming:) Boeboe used to have low blood sugar but she would then sit and lick the air so it's probably not the same thing...

Thank you for taking such good care of him<3

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.