Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder Stones

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boon Docks
    Likes (Received)

Default Bladder Stones

Boon has been having a problem urinating for the last week. Took him in today and sure enough he has bladder stones and they must be removed. They will be flushing his urethra tube to flush the ones that are causing the urination problem back into his bladder then open him up to remove the ones in his bladder. Doc said he will have to go on a special RX diet and this will help but Boon will have this issue again in the future.

Anyone else's bully had this problem? Doc says Bulldogs are notorious for this issue.
    Anyone else have health insured on their bully? I am serious considering buy it.

Boon was hospitalized back in August for an erection that wouldn't go down. They had to knock him out, push it back in and sew it shut until it went down. We heard the tech say, "dude you've been on the computer took long'...LMAO That cost us $1k

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bladder Stones

Sorry to hear about Boon's bladder stones--ouch! I don't have any experience with that, but I do have health insurance for my dogs. From my experience with the insurance company, I would expect them to exclude anything to do with his bladder when you tell them about the bladder stones. This is my first time to have insurance on my dogs. When I adopted Jack, he had been hit by a car and had surgery on his hip. He was recovered when we got him. He also had a terrible ear infection in both ears when we got him home. When I applied for insurance for him, I told them about those two issues. When I got his policy, hips and ears were excluded. VPI/Nationwide Ins. Co. is my company. I don't know if all of them are like that--be sure to check it out.

The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned about the insurance. I'm paying about $140 a month for 3 dogs. I keep thinking if I would save $140 a month, I would have a lot of money by the time something bad happens. Of course, Winnie, my bulldog, hasn't had a single health issue--who would have thought?! Jack ended up having heart worms, and parasites are not covered, so that was about $1,600. Just be sure you know what is covered and what isn't.

Anyway, good luck. I hope Boon recovers from those nasty bladder stones in a hurry!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

So sorry this is happening for your bully, I have experience....

For one, if your vet said that bullys are notorious for bladder stones you could do with a smarter vet. Has the vet told you what kind of stones he has? cystine, urate, calsium oxalate, calcium phosphate or struvite, if not you cold do with a better vet. Each type of stone has its own different peculiarities as to which breed is most often affected and what factors affect the formation. Also the treatment varies.
    My older boy has hyperuricosuria and has had urate stones surgically removed. Against all vets "knowledge" he is doing well with raw food. Almost all dalmatian have this affected HUU gene that causes this condition and unfortunately some bulldogs have it too. And some breeders don't test for it even though the test is available.

Insurance will not pay for anything that has been diagnosed (at least not in Finland), so if you have reason to expect more health issues, maybe it's worth it. I always take the insurance first thing when I get the pup.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boon Docks
    Likes (Received)

The vet said that he will send the stones to the lab to figure out what kind they are. As for insurance, I know that they won't pay for this surgery and possible repeat issues, but it's more for future issues.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

This was the main reason my bulldog died. That and a slow acting vet. Please do everything you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes dolphin, 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boon Docks
    Likes (Received)

Surgery went well and the vet took out over 100 stones. He's still trying to wake up but all is good so far. Ext step to determine what kid of stones so we know if we need to change his diet.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

over 100 stones! Happy it all went well, hope it will improve with the diet.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So glad is all went well .... Keep
    Us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boon Docks
    Likes (Received)

I think we will stick to our vet. After much research, YES English Bulldogs are more susceptible to cystine bladder stones along with a few other breeds .

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    So sorry this is happening for your bully, I have experience....

For one, if your vet said that bullys are notorious for bladder stones you could do with a smarter vet. Has the vet told you what kind of stones he has? cystine, urate, calsium oxalate, calcium phosphate or struvite, if not you cold do with a better vet. Each type of stone has its own different peculiarities as to which breed is most often affected and what factors affect the formation. Also the treatment varies.
    My older boy has hyperuricosuria and has had urate stones surgically removed. Against all vets "knowledge" he is doing well with raw food. Almost all dalmatian have this affected HUU gene that causes this condition and unfortunately some bulldogs have it too. And some breeders don't test for it even though the test is available.

Insurance will not pay for anything that has been diagnosed (at least not in Finland), so if you have reason to expect more health issues, maybe it's worth it. I always take the insurance first thing when I get the pup.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boon Docks
    Likes (Received)

Boon was put on UD diet after the test came back as cystine stones and he loves it. We just have to watch him closely when he pees to make sure the flow is good.

12. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Well, I absolutely hate when vets talk like that. I'm sick and tired of them telling everything that a bulldog can have even if the the individual at hand doesn't have it or that they're "notorious" of any illness. I'm glad that you're happy with him and your bully is doing good. For advice on canine cystinuria you can get more info if you google "mastiff canine cystinuria".

Quote Originally Posted by BoonDocks View Post
    I think we will stick to our vet. After much research, YES English Bulldogs are more susceptible to cystine bladder stones along with a few other breeds .

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

100 stones?!?! wow, who counted?? First weekend we got our bully, 10wks old, she got bit by a spider in the yard and got bumps all over her. Took her to the vet where a good friend works. First thing our friend said was "I hope you have the pet insurance.".. We've had VPI for 10+ years and it's probably a wash.. BUT, unless you are very disciplined and can put money away, it'll come in handy if/when a big event happens. We had a $3,000 bill for TPLO, and it paid about $2,300ish.. Submit every bill and make them deny it.. There's a deductible of course..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads