Thread: HELP PLEASE! Penny woke up with a droopy eye. What is this?!?

Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Default HELP PLEASE! Penny woke up with a droopy eye. What is this?!?

We woke up this morning and Penny's right eye looked like this. When she sits and looks up at you it looks normal- but looking head on, her right eye looks like this. Now, she's eating, drinking, using he bathroom as normal. Energy is normal other than she did sleep a lot yesterday evening, but we were outside for a long time yesterday and her and Lockjaw were running around and playing- so I figured she was just tired.

I wrote my breeder this morning and sent him the pics and he said thatbshe may have gotten something in her eye, to rub some neosporin on it and watch it.

OH- I have been wiping her face/folds and tear stain area with witch hazel. Could she maybe be sensitive to that? I just started that Saturday.

-image-jpeg

-image-jpeg
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP PLEASE! Penny woke up with a droopy eye. What is this?!?

Hi Corrine, I agree it may be an allergic reaction to something, she may have been bitten by something while playing outside, or even irritated it on something like a stick, or on the grass, or it is possible it could be the witch hazel, but probably not since it's just one eye, and her skin and folds are not irritated by it. Have you tried giving her a Benadryl, to see if it is an allergic reaction to something? Does she have any swelling anywhere else like her face? I would keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it doesn't get better. I hope it clears up soon. These guys are so sensitive to so many things. Please keep us posted.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

3. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Corrine, I agree it may be an allergic reaction to something, she may have been bitten by something while playing outside, or even irritated it on something like a stick, or on the grass, or it is possible it could be the witch hazel, but probably not since it's just one eye, and her skin and folds are not irritated by it. Have you tried giving her a Benadryl, to see if it is an allergic reaction to something? Does she have any swelling anywhere else like her face? I would keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it doesn't get better. I hope it clears up soon. These guys are so sensitive to so many things. Please keep us posted.
    I have an appt on Saturday with an out of town vet to eval her for nare surgery- so I just wasn't sure if i should wait until then. No swelling anywhere- no benedryl yet. Bc she had no other symptoms, I went ahead and came to work , but I'm going to go home over lunch and give benedryl and the neosporin. Praying its just a reaction and it gets better!
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

5. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Neosporin is NOT to be used in the eye area… I would get just plain saline and rinse out the area while gently massaging it. This could be the start of cherry eye (which is extremely common in this breed) and you can get that third eyelid to go back in it's place. If it continues to be a problem (IF you notice a tear in her eye or if she tries to rub it) then I would consult a vet immediately, it could be an eye ulcer and they are extremely painful… otherwise this could wait till Sat until you have your scheduled appointment.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    Neosporin is NOT to be used in the eye area… I would get just plain saline and rinse out the area while gently massaging it. This could be the start of cherry eye (which is extremely common in this breed) and you can get that third eyelid to go back in it's place. If it continues to be a problem (IF you notice a tear in her eye or if she tries to rub it) then I would consult a vet immediately, it could be an eye ulcer and they are extremely painful… otherwise this could wait till Sat until you have your scheduled appointment.

Thank you- I'll just do the benedryl then. I was massaging it this morning and there was no discharge and she didn't act like it was hurting. She didn't run it at all this morning- just wanted to sleep. We wake up at 5am to let them out and eat. We leave at 6:30 and there was no change in her demeanor. Both my pups just wanted to go back to bed this morning. Lol- it was a crisp 36*degrees this morning. It was cooler out yesterday too- but I wouldn't think temperature change has anything to do with it?

8. Likes ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Agree, just plain saline wish is great. It will wash away and allergens, dirt, etc. And you can apply it liberally to eye, around eye, and its 100% safe

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

10. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE!

Just went home to check on her and her eye is back to normal. Although I am great full- still curious as to why hat happened. I cleaned her eye really well and have her benedryl just in case.

I appreciate everyone's advise!! Thank you!!

12. Likes TyTysmom, Texas Carol, ddnene, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

some kind of an allergic reaction, happy to see that it's better.

14. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Thank god, reading this now and so worried, whew!

You might want to clue your breeder that Neosporin
    IS NOT to be used around the eyes!

Good call, Tracey @ddnene

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

16. Likes ddnene, Corine Pesantes liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    UPDATE!

Just went home to check on her and her eye is back to normal. Although I am great full- still curious as to why hat happened. I cleaned her eye really well and have her benedryl just in case.

I appreciate everyone's advise!! Thank you!!
    I'd continue with the benedyrl for a couple days.. just to keep the swelling down
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

18. Likes Corine Pesantes liked this post

Remove Ads