HELP PLEASE! Penny woke up with a droopy eye. What is this?!?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We woke up this morning and Penny's right eye looked like this. When she sits and looks up at you it looks normal- but looking head on, her right eye looks like this. Now, she's eating, drinking, using he bathroom as normal. Energy is normal other than she did sleep a lot yesterday evening, but we were outside for a long time yesterday and her and Lockjaw were running around and playing- so I figured she was just tired.

I wrote my breeder this morning and sent him the pics and he said thatbshe may have gotten something in her eye, to rub some neosporin on it and watch it.

OH- I have been wiping her face/folds and tear stain area with witch hazel. Could she maybe be sensitive to that? I just started that Saturday.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Corrine, I agree it may be an allergic reaction to something, she may have been bitten by something while playing outside, or even irritated it on something like a stick, or on the grass, or it is possible it could be the witch hazel, but probably not since it's just one eye, and her skin and folds are not irritated by it. Have you tried giving her a Benadryl, to see if it is an allergic reaction to something? Does she have any swelling anywhere else like her face? I would keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it doesn't get better. I hope it clears up soon. These guys are so sensitive to so many things. Please keep us posted.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Hi Corrine, I agree it may be an allergic reaction to something, she may have been bitten by something while playing outside, or even irritated it on something like a stick, or on the grass, or it is possible it could be the witch hazel, but probably not since it's just one eye, and her skin and folds are not irritated by it. Have you tried giving her a Benadryl, to see if it is an allergic reaction to something? Does she have any swelling anywhere else like her face? I would keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it doesn't get better. I hope it clears up soon. These guys are so sensitive to so many things. Please keep us posted.

I have an appt on Saturday with an out of town vet to eval her for nare surgery- so I just wasn't sure if i should wait until then. No swelling anywhere- no benedryl yet. Bc she had no other symptoms, I went ahead and came to work , but I'm going to go home over lunch and give benedryl and the neosporin. Praying its just a reaction and it gets better!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Neosporin is NOT to be used in the eye areaā€¦ I would get just plain saline and rinse out the area while gently massaging it. This could be the start of cherry eye (which is extremely common in this breed) and you can get that third eyelid to go back in it's place. If it continues to be a problem (IF you notice a tear in her eye or if she tries to rub it) then I would consult a vet immediately, it could be an eye ulcer and they are extremely painfulā€¦ otherwise this could wait till Sat until you have your scheduled appointment.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Neosporin is NOT to be used in the eye areaā€¦ I would get just plain saline and rinse out the area while gently massaging it. This could be the start of cherry eye (which is extremely common in this breed) and you can get that third eyelid to go back in it's place. If it continues to be a problem (IF you notice a tear in her eye or if she tries to rub it) then I would consult a vet immediately, it could be an eye ulcer and they are extremely painfulā€¦ otherwise this could wait till Sat until you have your scheduled appointment.

Thank you- I'll just do the benedryl then. I was massaging it this morning and there was no discharge and she didn't act like it was hurting. She didn't run it at all this morning- just wanted to sleep. We wake up at 5am to let them out and eat. We leave at 6:30 and there was no change in her demeanor. Both my pups just wanted to go back to bed this morning. Lol- it was a crisp 36*degrees this morning. It was cooler out yesterday too- but I wouldn't think temperature change has anything to do with it?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, just plain saline wish is great. It will wash away and allergens, dirt, etc. And you can apply it liberally to eye, around eye, and its 100% safe :)

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
UPDATE!

Just went home to check on her and her eye is back to normal. Although I am great full- still curious as to why hat happened. I cleaned her eye really well and have her benedryl just in case.

I appreciate everyone's advise!! Thank you!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
some kind of an allergic reaction, happy to see that it's better.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank god, reading this now and so worried, whew!

You might want to clue your breeder that Neosporin
IS NOT to be used around the eyes!

Good call, Tracey [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE!

Just went home to check on her and her eye is back to normal. Although I am great full- still curious as to why hat happened. I cleaned her eye really well and have her benedryl just in case.

I appreciate everyone's advise!! Thank you!!

I'd continue with the benedyrl for a couple days.. just to keep the swelling down

Mdaniel1984

Apr 25, 2022
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
I just noticed this when I arrived home looks similar :(

Itā€™s one eye when he looks up looks normal, looks at you has the same thing

I donā€™t have saline just took some water and washed it out really goodā€¦ hopefully it goes away tomorrow

Attachments

• BFACC87F-2E08-4C48-B57F-E045135DC7D6.jpeg
    BFACC87F-2E08-4C48-B57F-E045135DC7D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 385

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just noticed this when I arrived home looks similar :(

Itā€™s one eye when he looks up looks normal, looks at you has the same thing

I donā€™t have saline just took some water and washed it out really goodā€¦ hopefully it goes away tomorrow
You can also use some normal eye drops to help it.. three eyelid is swollen. But you should have vet check just to make sure no issues

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.