natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I had a scary incident yesterday afternoon, but a great lesson came of it !

Rosie ( 12 week old EB ) and Odin ( 2 year old Cane Corso ) were playing pull rope all over the main floor of the house nothing new in that they have a very close relationship, I was watching the baseball final game so my attention was there .
Rosie came back into the room and I looked down and she was walking like a drunk power and I mean staggering , by the time I got to her she had collapsed and started shaking on the floor eye,s closed , scared the hell out of Me , i picked her up put her on the couch checked her breathing , gums were pink and breathing was normal. Rosie to My relief opened her eyes and like a drunk dog playfully chewed on my finger.
I called My Vet immediately on the Emergency line and God Bless Annie ( My Vet ) , she said get some Maple syrup rub it on her gums and tongue once Rosie started to not act like a drunk put a small amount ( 2 Tbls ) in a bowl and let her finish that up , Feed her after she finished the syrup and then monitor her and quiet time for a few hours NO playing ect ect
Rosie recovered after the syrup in minutes very quickly I was surprised how fast and is back too normal in every way today , I thought I would post this just as a reminder that they can play to much and scare the Hell out of you , also as a reminder to adjust there food intake upwards as they grow so fast become more active and need that food energy in the system I think that is what I did wrong to begin with .

031.JPG Rosie and Odin playing pull rope more like Odin dragging Rosie around the main floor but they love it !

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my word, how scary. I would have panicked so bad. I am glad sweet Rosie is just fine now, poor girl. Thank goodness for vet being on call and available :)

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Oh my word, how scary. I would have panicked so bad. I am glad sweet Rosie is just fine now, poor girl. Thank goodness for vet being on call and available :)

Thanks Jessica ya scared hell out on Me , I have the most wonderful Vet Annie , she is a good friend and I even have her home phone she is truly a wonderful vet and person and her staff are just the same as her .

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Wow, that would have terrified me. I tend to panic anyway, no really, it's true, ask anyone! lol This is great info for us to have so we can treat right away instead of wondering what is going on! Thanks.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a diabetic cat for 18 years… Midi would get insulin twice a day. A couple of times he crashed on me, and I would give him Karo syrup on my finger until I could get him to a vet to get his sugars stabilized.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I would of panicked too. Thank God it was such a simple thing.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I had a scary incident yesterday afternoon, but a great lesson came of it !

Rosie ( 12 week old EB ) and Odin ( 2 year old Cane Corso ) were playing pull rope all over the main floor of the house nothing new in that they have a very close relationship, I was watching the baseball final game so my attention was there .
Rosie came back into the room and I looked down and she was walking like a drunk power and I mean staggering , by the time I got to her she had collapsed and started shaking on the floor eye,s closed , scared the hell out of Me , i picked her up put her on the couch checked her breathing , gums were pink and breathing was normal. Rosie to My relief opened her eyes and like a drunk dog playfully chewed on my finger.
I called My Vet immediately on the Emergency line and God Bless Annie ( My Vet ) , she said get some Maple syrup rub it on her gums and tongue once Rosie started to not act like a drunk put a small amount ( 2 Tbls ) in a bowl and let her finish that up , Feed her after she finished the syrup and then monitor her and quiet time for a few hours NO playing ect ect
Rosie recovered after the syrup in minutes very quickly I was surprised how fast and is back too normal in every way today , I thought I would post this just as a reminder that they can play to much and scare the Hell out of you , also as a reminder to adjust there food intake upwards as they grow so fast become more active and need that food energy in the system I think that is what I did wrong to begin with .

View attachment 92240 Rosie and Odin playing pull rope more like Odin dragging Rosie around the main floor but they love it !

Thanks for posting this, it's good information to know in case this happens to someone else. Has the vet tested Rosie for Diabetes? Is low blood sugar a sign of Diabetes or Pre Diabetes? I'm glad Rosie is okay, and your vet was able to tell you what to do.

OP
natski282

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Thanks for posting this, it's good information to know in case this happens to someone else. Has the vet tested Rosie for Diabetes? Is low blood sugar a sign of Diabetes or Pre Diabetes? I'm glad Rosie is okay, and your vet was able to tell you what to do.

No as she is only 12 weeks old and I am pretty sure It was My doing in the end , I had not increased her quantity of food enough I think, she is growing sooooo fast it is crazy I have done so now so will keep a eye on her if there is a hint of anything with My guys I am at the vet lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... how terrifying that must have been.... so happy your vet was able to help you over the phone and get her blood sugar back up. i would have never thought of that.... I would have just ran out the door with the pup to the ER.

thank you for sharing --- this is great info to know

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh dear, so happy she's back to normal. Good thing that you caught it and your vet was available. Thanks so much for sharing, the info may save someone's life!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.