punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I have 4 bulldogs but my question is not about them.. i also have 2 yorkie's that is my husbands.. lol.. seems like everytime i have them groomed they will scratch and scratch right after.. i thought maybe it was the shampoo she was using on them but not sure.. i usually just give them another quick bathe afterwards and all if fine but this time it didn't help.. they will scratch and scratch and its driving me crazy.. i don't see fleas, or any rash or anything.. can my dogs be getting this from the groomer or is it just a coincidence. i have their bodies cut short and i was thinking maybe its so short its causing them to itch but most of the scratching seems to be around their heads where their hair is long.. any suggestions before we head to vet..? they are driving me nuts.. plus i dont like seeing them suffering with it.. Help..
11947559_10206033717341020_4121609132828508259_n.jpg
he's not a bulldog but he thinks he is, but that's ok.. he's just as sweet as they are

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
I have 4 bulldogs but my question is not about them.. i also have 2 yorkie's that is my husbands.. lol.. seems like everytime i have them groomed they will scratch and scratch right after.. i thought maybe it was the shampoo she was using on them but not sure.. i usually just give them another quick bathe afterwards and all if fine but this time it didn't help.. they will scratch and scratch and its driving me crazy.. i don't see fleas, or any rash or anything.. can my dogs be getting this from the groomer or is it just a coincidence. i have their bodies cut short and i was thinking maybe its so short its causing them to itch but most of the scratching seems to be around their heads where their hair is long.. any suggestions before we head to vet..? they are driving me nuts.. plus i dont like seeing them suffering with it.. Help..
View attachment 92212
he's not a bulldog but he thinks he is, but that's ok.. he's just as sweet as they are

Could possibly be an allergic reaction to the shampoo they are using. Next time ask them to use a hypoallergenic shampoo on them. You could give them benadryl for the itching for now and reshampoo them using a hypoallergenic shampoo. If you take them to the vet, she will probably give them apoquel which is a new med on the market that is better than cortizone. Apoquel doesn't have the bad sad effects as cortizone, it works by blocking the itch sensory. My Zoey takes it for her allergies. Since we live close to one another, I have the apoquel if you want to try it on your dogs. There are no side effects to it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Gail, I agree with wvlady1965. It's sounds like it's a reaction to the shampoo or something that then groomer is using, since they only itch after being at the groomer. If it was their food or something at home, they would itch all the time.
Maybe you could try bringing your own shampoo for the Groomer to use on them, so it's the same product you use at home and they would tolerate it better. I hope they feel better soon.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm also thinking it's a reaction to the shampoo the groomer uses.

Try bringing in your and have them use it. This way, you can find out for certain.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks, i will do the shampooing again.. since the groomer is a mobile groomer and comes to the house i will being supplying her with their very own shampoo.. just hoping they weren't catching something from the groomer since she does so many dogs...wish i could just groom them myself so they wouldn't be subjected to catching fleas or whatever else they may be able to get... it isn't real bad but enough to drive me crazy so i can only imagine how they feel.. thanks i will do the shampoo again and go from there.. thanks juanita , i do have abbey on the apoquel. i may have to give them one if it don't get any better soon..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I used to groom my own poodles(4). It would be cheaper for you to buy an Oster A5 clipper, than to keep paying the groomer. Also, since it's only their heads itching,maybe she does not get all the shampoo rinsed off their heads. [MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION]

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks.. i was thinking that also.. one reason is because like i said she is a mobile groomer.. she comes to our house and takes them out to her big box truck thing and does it out there.. she uses my outlet to plug in an extension cord but i often wondered how she brings enough water to bath them.. maybe shes just using a spray bottle.. i don't know because i have never watched her.. but i know they are fresh and clean when they come back in.. i use to take them to another groomer but they act like they are afraid of the other dogs (the big ones) when i take them.. they like the groomer but don't like other big dogs and it scares them.. i like how the mobile groomer does their bodies but like the other groomer how she does their heads.. lol.. your right i need to learn how to just do it myself.. lol thanks.. i think your right about that Lynn..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] It's not hard to clip them-only if you wanted a fancy show cut(which they don't show cut yorkies,anyway!) A mobile groomer usually has a sink with a large water
storage tank.

OP
punky

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
i really thought about trying to do it myself because i don't have anything fancy done with them... my husband use to shave my cat and she didn't mind it at all... she was a long hair cat and she often would pant like a dog.. someone told me that wasn't normal for a cat so of course i take her to vet had all kinds of test run and x-rays for vet to say she's just getting to hot (she is long hair) so every summer she got a hair cut.. our mobile groomer wouldn't do cats but this cat actually acted like she enjoyed it... lol.. what are good clippers.. ?? any suggestions.. i want some that cut good but also that don't get hot because im sure i may take awhile doing it at first.. lol

Littleeagle

Jul 28, 2011
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
...... give them apoquel which is a new med on the market that is better than cortizone. Apoquel doesn't have the bad sad effects as cortizone, it works by blocking the itch sensory. .... There are no side effects to it.

Yes there are side effects. See Apoquel Comments

I'm trying to decide if I even want to use it. I don't think it's worth the risk for my bulldog since his itching isn't as bad as some of you have described. I understand those who are using it and trying to give their babies a better quality of life though. Just want everyone to be well informed. Best of luck to you all.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yes there are side effects. See Apoquel Comments

I'm trying to decide if I even want to use it. I don't think it's worth the risk for my bulldog since his itching isn't as bad as some of you have described. I understand those who are using it and trying to give their babies a better quality of life though. Just want everyone to be well informed. Best of luck to you all.
Where did you find this info??
Never mind…found it. Interesting link.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.