Lyme disease

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Has anyone ever had issues with Lyme disease. Will tested positive today he has no symptoms and was vaccinated in the past. vet said he probably got it when he was a pup before he was vaccinated the first time! I've read 95 %of dogs never have symptoms. He also was started on prednisone for allergies, hope this helps my itchy dog! I got the allergy testing done now the wait for results. Vet doesn't think it's food thinks it's environmental! Anyone have any advice opinion on any of this? Oh here is 2 cute pics of my babies getting ready for Halloween
66491249ac0d238d8d8ca1550ebdf1cb.jpg
88f7ee477c87866d268a4591c9d83d5c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad he's not having the usual symptoms, but that is scary (makes me want to have my boy tested). My guess is they will be keeping a close eye on his urine samples and kidney productivity…there are many kinds of bacteria that make up Lyme, do you happen to know which one he tested positive for? Or if he has co-infections? I believe the result of being positive and having no symptoms is still treating w/antibiotics and keeping a close eye out for any neurological symptoms and organ issues.

The pics are adorable. I wish I knew more about this. All my studying is in human lyme (not canine)…I'm sorry, glad he's feeling well though! If I come across some useful info I will def. forward to you…
I'll tag [MENTION=9689]AmberXo[/MENTION] not sure if she still comes on, but she posted about this last year...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
omg.... TOO CUTE!

if it turns out to be environmental, Benedryl an help and also wiping down with a cool wash cloth after each outing, these do not eliminte the issue, but it does lessen impact.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I was reading up on Lyme disease over the summer, and the one thing that kept coming up over and over was that most dogs that test positive, don't show any symptoms. This is a very good thing.

As for the allergies, like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, wiping them after each outing helps some.

I have mine on Apoquel. If the allergies get very bad, like he's scratching himself raw, it's something to consider. Supposed to be safer than steroids.

OP
lynngosox

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Thanks everyone for the advice!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I have been reading up on this since you have posted as it struck an interest w/me…I live in a very "Lyme ridden" area, one of my closest friends was diagnosed five years back and we had a crazy summer with ticks…so - extra paranoid about it…
I wanted to share one quote I read that may ease your mind a bit regarding testing positive...

"When your dog tests positive with the standard titre test, he/she is testing positive for the antibody, but is not a test for the actual, current presence of the organism that causes the disease."

You mentioned that the vaccine was given, so I am hoping this is what contributed to the positive…I will pm you the links I found, in the mean time, please keep me updated on this, especially if any symptoms arise.

OP
lynngosox

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Ok thanks so much [MENTION=10681]Laurie[/MENTION]

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
Brynnlee was positive for Lyme as well, we treated it as both tests came back positive - we tested twice to be sure it was Lyme, per my vet. As mentioned above how the test for the titre and the test for the organism differs - therefore she tested posted for them, never did show any of the symptoms, but I choose to treat it anyways - we think she may have got it before I ever had her as the flea/tick prevention her old owners had her on is the equivalent to walmarts flea/tick prevention, but I did treat her for Lyme's disease and then we retested her and she tested negative for it and I have never had any issues since. Seems to be fairly easy to treat if caught in time - frustrating though I know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.