Weight loss, hair loss, Constant itching, Bitting paws,

dls0087

Oct 11, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cairo
Hello!

Our Bulldog has been losing weight, looking sad and depressed all the time. He scratches all day, rubs and rolls his back on the floor to scratch it. He has been losing weight and has hair coming off his coat in spots. Took him to the vet said it wasn't Demodex. The vet said to give him bendaryl, but it isn't working. He looks like he is always in pain. Have taken him back to the vet, (petsmart) and they can't tell us anything that is really going on. Can someone give advice? Hair is missing in little spots, constantly itching, weight loss. He does have a natural / grain free diet that we feed him. He isn't fed any dry food. Looking for immediate relief!

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Can you give a little more details? How old.. how much weight in what time period. can you post pics of hair loss? How long has this been going on.. Any chance it's environmental, like pollen, mold, fleas, .... Have you tried giving him a bath, heard oatmeal shampoos are soothing.. Is he ok otherwise, breathing, eating, drinking, pee n poop good?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@ dls0087

This sounds like a food allergy to me...... how old is your baby? What brand and protein food are you currently feeding?

Try to avoid, chicken based foods and grains.... lots of Bulldogs are sensitive to these foods and have the sysmptoms you mention. Not saying that is the whole issue, but it is a start.

Also if you could post some picture that will help too

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@ dls0087

This sounds like a food allergy to me...... how old is your baby? What brand and protein food are you currently feeding?

Try to avoid, chicken based foods and grains.... lots of Bulldogs are sensitive to these foods and have the sysmptoms you mention. Not saying that is the whole issue, but it is a start.

Also if you could post some picture that will help too

Agree, although you are feeding a natural grain free kibble, what is the protein in the kibble? You may need to switch to a single protein (process of elimination) to figure it out. Read the ingredients on the food closely, regardless of what the food is called. (Example: it may be called Beef, but when you read the ingredients it also contains chicken, etc.)

It does sound food related, and maybe staph or yeast. If he is red, inflamed, and losing patches of hair, I think the vet needs to prescribe something stronger. When Tyson had bad allergic flare up, along with yeast vet prescribed: Ketoconazole, Cephalexin, and Temaril. Maybe ask the vet about these to get what is already there under to control, and get him comfortable while you do the food change. @dls0087

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hello!

Our Bulldog has been losing weight, looking sad and depressed all the time. He scratches all day, rubs and rolls his back on the floor to scratch it. He has been losing weight and has hair coming off his coat in spots. Took him to the vet said it wasn't Demodex. The vet said to give him bendaryl, but it isn't working. He looks like he is always in pain. Have taken him back to the vet, (petsmart) and they can't tell us anything that is really going on. Can someone give advice? Hair is missing in little spots, constantly itching, weight loss. He does have a natural / grain free diet that we feed him. He isn't fed any dry food. Looking for immediate relief!
Do you have a canine dermatologist in your area? Or a vet familiar w/bullies? Petsmart vets (Banfield?) are great for 6 month regular checkups, vaccinations ect…but may not be experienced/knowledgable enough to know what is going on. I would get a second opinion if you are able, it's bothersome that they sent you away w/just a Benadryl suggestion.
In the mean time, if you haven't already, search the forum for all the keywords you put in your thread…hair loss, weight loss, hair missing in spots, constant itching ect…you may have to be your bullies own advocate - if your vet can't help you - and try to figure out what is going on from other people's experiences/suggestions. Good luck, hope Cairo feels better soon!

JohnnyUtah

Oct 17, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
I'm 100% positive that your bulldog has Hypothyroidism. He's not producing enough of a hormone called thyroxine that controls metabolism. Take him to your Vet and have his thyroids tested. If your Vet dismisses the idea, try a new Vet. I have an 11 year old Bully that was completely free of health problems until two years ago when he started exhibiting every symptom you described in your post, including non-stop ear infections. I had him on the prescription hydrolized protein food also (Royal Canine).

I took him to 3 vets, a total of 15 times over the last 2 years until I figured it out 6 months ago by a few simple google searches. They put my bully on a medication called Thyro permanently, which has to be given every 12 hours and an allergy medication called Aloquel once a day. He's doing excellent at the moment but he still has minor relapses periodically where he has to be put on a steroid to get the itching under control immediately. My bully is also extremely allergic to flea bites. I have to bathe him every time he play with other dogs because just a single flea will leave welps all over his skin.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.