Help-My puppy possibly swallowed a chicken wing bone

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm hoping someone out there has been through this before. Last night my boyfriend and I had pizza and wings take out, as he was throwing a wing in th garbage he thought it didn't make it in the garbage and that maybe Murray had gotten it, I ran over to Murray and in his mouth throughly but saw nothing and he seemed fine and I didn't think much more of it. This was last night around 9. Then he woke up around 5 this morning and vomited a little bit but nothing came up, I gave him a half of a Pepcid which was something my vet had recommended one other time when he was vomiting, waited like an hour he didn't get sick again and seemed fine and then I fed him breakfast and he seemed fine but I've noticed throughout the day his stool has been looser and looser and I went through the garbage there were 3 uneaten wings and only 8 bones :( that being said, I didn't count them before I ate them. I texted my vet who said as long as he's not continuing to vomit he should be ok and to feed him a bland diet of hamburger and rice for 7 days. Just looking for some advice if anyone's been through a similar situation and how it all worked out. Thanks so much

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this worry with Murray, and I hope he is okay. I went through a similar experience with Bulldozer, he swallowed a bone from a honey garlic spare rib when we had Chinese food. Hubby had left his plate on the couch for 1 second, and Dozer grabbed a bone from his plate. We called the Emergency Vet, and they said to keep an eye on him and to give him a piece of bread because this can protect the stomach from any sharp bones. He was fine and he has also swallowed 4 socks, a dishcloth and Nerf Bullets, and has always been able to either poop it out or vomit it out. I would watch him closely, and watch for signs of obstruction like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or excessive drooling from the mouth. Keep an eye on his poop and watch to see if he passes it. You can also give him some high fibre canned food to help him pass the bone. Dozer acted normal, played normal, and ate, peed and pooped after swallowing socks, and then eventually passed them.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wouldn't worry to much about it unless he really starts getting sick then I'd get him in asap. The loose stools could be anything and the bland diet should fix him up.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you so much for responding! I'm making him his bland beef and rice right now and I hope it helps! At this point it's been like a day and a half do you still think I should give him the bread?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
[h=3]What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chicken Bones[/h]Since there isnā€™t much that you can do after the chicken bones have been ingested by your dog, you simply need to monitor him closely for the next few days.

1. Keep checking your dogā€™s stools to see if the bones pass. Watch for blood in the stool, or any signs that heā€™s straining to defecate. If so, take your dog to the vet.
  2. You should also keep an eye on your dogā€™s temperament. If he becomes moody or listless, take him to a vet immediately.
  3. Perhaps the best thing you can do is try to ā€œcushionā€ the tiny bones inside your dogā€™s tummy by overfeeding him a little more over the next couple of days. Piece of bread and cooked rice (thatā€™s completely cooled first) are ideal. Theyā€™re gentle on a dogā€™s stomach and digestive tract. You can serve up a small helping of plain white rice alone, or mix some cooked rice in with your dogā€™s normal dog food and/or some low-salt chicken broth along with broken up pieces of bread.
  4. Then, you just wait and see. Chances are, everything will come out fine in the end.
  5. In case youā€™re wonderingā€¦ do not induce vomiting. It is generally not recommended to induce vomiting to recover solid objects like chicken bones because these sorts of sharp objects can potentially cause problems on the way back up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for responding! I'm making him his bland beef and rice right now and I hope it helps! At this point it's been like a day and a half do you still think I should give him the bread?

How is the day going.... any improvement?

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this worry with Murray, and I hope he is okay. I went through a similar experience with Bulldozer, he swallowed a bone from a honey garlic spare rib when we had Chinese food. Hubby had left his plate on the couch for 1 second, and Dozer grabbed a bone from his plate. We called the Emergency Vet, and they said to keep an eye on him and to give him a piece of bread because this can protect the stomach from any sharp bones. He was fine and he has also swallowed 4 socks, a dishcloth and Nerf Bullets, and has always always either pooped it out or vomited it out.
I would watch him closely, and watch for signs of obstruction like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or excessive drooling from the mouth. Keep an eye on his poop and watch to see if he passes it. You can also give him some high fibre canned food to help him pass the bone. Dozer acted normal, played normal, and ate, peed and pooped after swallowing socks, and then eventually passed them.
when dozer swallowed those things did he get diarrhea? How long did it take to pass?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
when dozer swallowed those things did he get diarrhea? How long did it take to pass?

In two of the incidents he didn't get any diarrhea, vomiting, or any other symptoms, we didn't know he had eaten anything, he just passed a sock or the dishcloth one day and we don't know how long it had been in his stomach. On one incident, he got diarrhea, and he was throwing up, and he was lethargic and drooling a lot. I took him to the vet and they took an X-ray, they could see a shadow on the picture and she could feel a mass in his stomach. The vet gave him some IV fluids because of the diarrhea and vomiting, she gave him some pain medication and sent him home with a high fiber food to help him move his bowels. That night he pooped out a sock. The last time which was 2 years ago, I saw him grab one of my grandsons socks that he had left on the couch. I was on the phone and he grabbed it so fast, I couldn't get it away from him, he swallowed it. I knew the signs to watch for from the last sock, but he didn't get any symptoms, he acted normal, ate, drank, peed and pooped normal. I watched his stool for 2 weeks, and exactly 29 days after he swallowed the sock he threw it up one morning. That's the only time that we actually saw him swallow a sock, and so we knew it was inside him, but it took a month before he passed it, and never showed one sign of anything being wrong.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
PƃĀ¼ppy
[h=3]What To Do If Your Dog Eats Chicken Bones[/h]Since there isnā€™t much that you can do after the chicken bones have been ingested by your dog, you simply need to monitor him closely for the next few days.

1. Keep checking your dogā€™s stools to see if the bones pass. Watch for blood in the stool, or any signs that heā€™s straining to defecate. If so, take your dog to the vet.
  2. You should also keep an eye on your dogā€™s temperament. If he becomes moody or listless, take him to a vet immediately.
  3. Perhaps the best thing you can do is try to ā€œcushionā€ the tiny bones inside your dogā€™s tummy by overfeeding him a little more over the next couple of days. Piece of bread and cooked rice (thatā€™s completely cooled first) are ideal. Theyā€™re gentle on a dogā€™s stomach and digestive tract. You can serve up a small helping of plain white rice alone, or mix some cooked rice in with your dogā€™s normal dog food and/or some low-salt chicken broth along with broken up pieces of bread.
  4. Then, you just wait and see. Chances are, everything will come out fine in the end.
  5. In case youā€™re wonderingā€¦ do not induce vomiting. It is generally not recommended to induce vomiting to recover solid objects like chicken bones because these sorts of sharp objects can potentially cause problems on the way back up.

Referring to point 3: it is also a possibility to feed sauerkraut/pickled cabbage - the sauerkraut parts can wrap sharp or pointed objects/pieces so they can pass the intestines without perforating them. The sauerkraut can be fed raw (health-food stores, in Germany sold in bags) or cooked (canned) and needs to be narrow and from a particular length (not chopped):

Google-Ergebnis fĆ¼r http://kalorien-guru.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Sauerkraut-Kalorien.jpg

If your dog doesn't like the sour taste, you can rinse it with water or water it for some time. It can be fed with cooked smashed potatoes - those potatoes also can help to wrap pieces. It also can be mixed with a bit bouillon to make it more tasty.

Personally I never had to deal with such a situation/never had to feed it. But I know someone who gave the sauerkraut successfully in several cases (her young Labrador swallowed sticks in sharp pieces several times).

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION]

Oh man, I could of wrote your thread two years ago. In fact, I did (well almost the exact same thing http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...alk/31684-swallowed-buffalo-chicken-wing.html )

Hubs was eating Buffalo wings and dropped one. Blue was on it faster than well.. you know.

Anyway, he pooped it out a few days later. Just keep an eye on his movements and check to see if he passed it. I remember my vet saying give lots of bread to make him go.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION]

Oh man, I could of wrote your thread two years ago. In fact, I did (well almost the exact same thing http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...alk/31684-swallowed-buffalo-chicken-wing.html )

Hubs was eating Buffalo wings and dropped one. Blue was on it faster than well.. you know.

Anyway, he pooped it out a few days later. Just keep an eye on his movements and check to see if he passed it. I remember my vet saying give lots of bread to make him go.
thank you so much for asking, the more I'm hearing that I'm not the first person this has happened to the less I feel like a horrible person that it happened! He's doing alright we're about day 4 on the bland diet. Truthfully? The first day I didn't look for it but I haven't seen it yet...but I also haven't been like poking around in his stool looking for it which perhaps I should! His stool is still a little loose I gave him more bread and chicken broth tonight but he seems like he's feeling fine. I'm wondering if I should wait a few more days and take him to have an X-ray to see for sure if it has passed or not, would love anyone's opinion on that!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Yes - how is Murray? I hope your little boy is ok :pray:
thank you both so much for asking! He's doing pretty well but I haven't seen sign of the bone yet :( I'm wondering if maybe he chewed it would be in little pieces that would be small to see...we've got a few more days on the bland diet which Murray is loving! And who could blame him, ground beef and rice is a pretty good dinner! And I'm trying to decide if I should still take him to have X-rays to see if it's passed or not

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.