Bully With Cleft Palate

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Hi, my ten month old bully has a cleft palate. He has surgery last summer. The entire soft and hard palate was open. The soft palate has completely healed but the hard palate still has a 3.5cm hole. The vets want us to redo the surgery, telling us it may take 3 or 4 tries. Each surgery requires MONTHS of recovery, in which our dog is not allowed to chew ANYTHING! Last time we had to keep him in his pen most of the day and night without even a blanket, as he is a real chewer. We just don't know what to do. Should we do the surgery again? The concern is if we don't he could get aspiration pneumonia, which could kill him. BUT, the surgery is so horrible for him to recover from and it might not work. We just don't know. Should we give him a longer life with lots of medical treatments, or a shorter, but quality life? Has anyone been through this? Any advice?
Thanks

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I haven't... but can they put g-tube in his stomach? That would help him with eating.

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
I don't know what g-tube is? He actually can eat without any problems. He is 51 pounds and we have put him on weight control food:) When he was first born we had to feed him with a bottle because he couldn't suck. The breeder didn't know that he had a cleft palate, and I had never had a dog before so I didn't know that having to be fed with a bottle was a bad sign! I guess the concern is that food will go up into his sinuses and then into his lungs and that could cause infection, damage, and pneumonia. The surgery is really hard to recover from. It involves months of him being in his pen with nothing at all to chew on. We even had to take his blanket away. I just don't know if I should do the surgery again or not -- they say it might take four tries, but that is so much recovery time, and it still might now work! Sometimes we think that maybe it would be better if we gave him a real quality life, rather than a longer one! It is very hard to decide. Right now his knee is also popping out, so he is, once again, stuck in his pen for up to 2 months. I just don't know how many of these things we should put him through!

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
My heart goes out to you and your dog. My advise is to research as much as possible and let your knowledge and intuition guide you. Good luck.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Honestly I don't know what you should do. It is a tough choice, and hopefully someone who has been through it can help you stay positive.

I remember about 9 months ago a lady signed up here who had a puppy with severe hip displaysia. I believe she was given the option to return the puppy, and the breeder would put it to sleep, and she could get a new puppy. She also had to make some very tough decisions regarding surgery as well.

We supported her through the whole process, even though in the end she had to make all the decisions. Sometimes it is just nice to put it all down somewhere and read your own thoughts on it.

So we shall support you through the process and also support whatever choice you decide to make. It is always easier to be on the outside looking in, but maybe- just maybe, you will find the answers you are looking for. Whether it be from a member who has been through it, our support, or even by reading your own thoughts.

My heart goes out to you and your baby.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION]: I have a good friend who has bred EBs for over 25 years. She had a puppy with a cleft palate 5 years ago. I'm going to private message you with her email address. I checked with her and she'd be happy to share her experience with you.

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thank you guys! I appreciate the support a lot.

Most Reactions