Shelf life for antibiotics

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
What is an expiration date for pills?? We have some leftover Keflex, about 14 mos old, and wondering if it's still ok for a UTI?

Thanks

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
They don't really expire per say, they just may not be as "strong" as if they were new. Does that make sense? They should be fine to still give though. I've given Tyson older meds as well for his ears with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION], I've used very old mess before with success. But if you do not have 10 days worth it probably won't cure the UTI. Hopefully you caught it early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree, I have used some old meds. and they seem to work just fine! I hate to waste stuff, and I just saw a doctor on TV talking about the same thing, and he says just because it has an expiration date does not mean it is no good. He actually said it keeps for years. If pills are crumbled to bits, then they are too old [MENTION=8541]Daphnee[/MENTION]

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Kind of what I've been reading... antibiotics are 1-3 yrs shelf life(1-3right?!?!?).. as long as stored safely, it just looses potency.. if not stored correctly, can get bacteria and other bad stuff.. Just a little wigged out about the stinky smell, not real bad, kinda what you'd expect from an antibiotic, but still stinky... A refill is just $4 so, trying for that without a vet visit... Thanks..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.