Anxiety at the Vet's office (and my guilt)

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Tucker is scheduled to be neutered on the 16th. Yes, I am having anxiety, as he has never had anything invasive done, but I have meds to take. I worry about him being scared, and what makes it worse is that I worry he will not trust me after I have taken him there and left him for the surgery. Fortunately, I will get to pick him up later in the day, but I will be on pins and needles until I do.

Last week, I took Tucker to the vet (not the one performing the neutering), just to have his cherry eye examined. Poor Tucker was so scared that his back legs were trembling. I tried reassuring him, but he was still afraid. I even had Sophie with us, and she was so excited to be there, as she loves running into other dogs there. She thinks all dogs love her, lol.

Anything to suggest for Tucker's vet anxiety? Is there something I could ask the vet for, in order to relax him prior to arriving? We have over an hour drive there, and Tucker gets antsy in the car for long trips, as it is. even though he is almost 8 months old, I got him when he was 4 months old, and he has a few quirks that I think came from his earlier months. He has fears of some things that are just unfounded. My poor baby.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
You can't give him anything before the surgery, but next time he has a vet visit, you can give him Rescue Remedy. I give it to brutus. I drip 4 drops on a cookie and it helps chill him out. I ordered mine from amazon. He will be fine for his neutering. I think it is worse on us then on them! Strong prayers for you guys until he is home!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
One thing to remember too, they feed off of us. So if can feel that your anxious, he'll be anxious and scared. I know its hard, but you have to try and be calm, so that can be relayed onto him. I would reward him at the vet office when you go, so he doesn't associate it as "bad" ... bring some of his toys too, anything he's familiar with to make him feel more at ease.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One thing to remember too, they feed off of us. So if can feel that your anxious, he'll be anxious and scared. I know its hard, but you have to try and be calm, so that can be relayed onto him. I would reward him at the vet office when you go, so he doesn't associate it as "bad" ... bring some of his toys too, anything he's familiar with to make him feel more at ease.

Perfect advice.... Also treats and more treats! And try, as hard as it is to not pet/reassure when they are anxious or stressed-- by doing so you are telling them it is the correct behavior

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie

Exactly what I was going to say! In any event, there's no need to worry that he won't trust you for leaving him there for surgery. Dogs live in the present, so when you pick him up he'll be thrilled to see you and all will be forgotten. [MENTION=14393]Mom of Tucker[/MENTION].

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Thank you for all of the helpful tips. I am such a softie when it comes to my babies. The surgery is a week from tomorrow, and I know it is minor. However, if anything were to happen with Tucker, I would be devastated. He is just like one of my children, and I used to worry about them when they were younger as well.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.