brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So everyone knows the torture I go through with Brutus and his food and accompanying allergies. He did great on The Honest Kitchen, but lost too much weight so I put him on Blue Buffalo Simple. It is a single protien of Duck, which Brutus did well on. He was on it for about 2 weeks and now has a raging ear infection. Stupid me did not realize the Simple is not grain free. Ugh, my poor baby has an ear the color of a fire engine because my brain cells are dead!! I now have him on Blue Buffalo Basic which is the same as I was feeding, same protien, but grain free. I started him on antibiotic ointment for his ear and the vet is coming tomorrow. Bad mommy!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
:ohmy:.. It happens. He'll be fine. Don't kick yourself too hard, we all make mistakes. :hug2:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Been there, done that. Don't be so hard on yourself, he'll be better in a few days :)

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
That sounds like something I would do, Rosalie. He'll be okay!

My vet will also make house calls. You have to pay more, but sometimes it's worth it. When we had to have our last boxer put to sleep, my vet came and did it here at home. Such a better experience than taking them to the vet's office to do it.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
awe, poor Brutus. Your vet comes to the house? That's awesome!!
He does come to the house. Brutus has anxiety so it is so much easier on him. He tolerates the exam and when the vet is done, he runs and gets his ball to play with him. It is so much better and just slightly more money.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
He does come to the house. Brutus has anxiety so it is so much easier on him. He tolerates the exam and when the vet is done, he runs and gets his ball to play with him. It is so much better and just slightly more money.
That's awesome! And - by the way - no "bad mommy" would go out of their way for anxiety and extra costs like that…so do NOT feel bad about the grain! You caught it early on also, so double pats on the back (DPOTB)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He'll be better in not time, you ARE a good mom.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Rosalie you are a GREAT mom… we can't be on top of everything at ALL times. It's virtually impossible, we just do the best that we can girl… ;)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We ALL do the best that we can!! Vegas will do fine on one food for a couple yrs then not tolerate it, then I have to switch. Luckily he has been on Earthbourne Holistic Lamb for 3 yrs now and does great!! When I joined this site I was feeding Iams and wondering why he stunk and had ear infections. and open sores, all the time!!!!, LOL. Live and Learn. There is NO WAY I would be where I am today without this site!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I disagree he has a good Mummy, you have nothing that we all haven't done Rosalie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So everyone knows the torture I go through with Brutus and his food and accompanying allergies. He did great on The Honest Kitchen, but lost too much weight so I put him on Blue Buffalo Simple. It is a single protien of Duck, which Brutus did well on. He was on it for about 2 weeks and now has a raging ear infection. Stupid me did not realize the Simple is not grain free. Ugh, my poor baby has an ear the color of a fire engine because my brain cells are dead!! I now have him on Blue Buffalo Basic which is the same as I was feeding, same protien, but grain free. I started him on antibiotic ointment for his ear and the vet is coming tomorrow. Bad mommy!

How is he doing.... ear clearing up?

Heck, this is nothing compared to the time I got Banbks high :up:

Here is the orginal post back in 2012..... :D

Funny story from Thursday night -

Once a month I take Banks for her laser treatment and I give her half-tablet of Xanax to calm her for the ride over (she HATES the car). Well, she also started on a neurological medicine so she does not feel the pain in her back in between laser sessions. WELL -- I did not know the two should not be mixed - OOPS! I gave her both meds at 4:10 PM.... we get to the vet at 5:30 and she goes right back for her treatment... I am in the waiting room with Cheli for the hour... she comes out at 6:30 and is SOOOOOO not listening to anyone and pulling to get back with the girls (she knows where they keep the treats). I'm thinking, what the heck is her problem, why is she not listening to me!!!

Ok, we're in the car and she always just lays in the corner, of the passenger seat floor with her head tucked under the dashboard which she did for the hour ride home. We get home and she is walking really strange.. dragging her front paws and acting like she has not had food in YEARS!! Ate her dinner in seconds (faster than normal)... then we feed Cheli and Banks runs over, pushes him out of the way and starts inhaling his dinner. Lewis had to pull her away as she would not listen. Then I am eating a PBJ and she is jumping up on my legs to try and get it from me - now, she always begs/stares while we are eating, but she NEVER jumps on us. At this point, it is now about 7:45... I say to Lewis what is wrong with her.. "she is dragging her paws and acting strange -- it is like she is drunk??" He agrees - we chat for a few seconds and I decided to call the vet office - tell them everything and ask -- 'should I have not combined her Gabapentin with the Xanax?'.

Janie goes to talk with Dr. Rossignili.... she comes back on the phone giggling ' Yes, Banks is high!' and Dr. Rossignili said (very thick Italian accent) "Never do that again". We (me and Janie) at this point are hysterical and I ask will she be OK.. should we take her to the ER. Nothing we could do as it was already in her blood stream -- UGH!! Only thing we could do is to get her to drink a LOT of water in order to flush her system.... how do we do that!?? PLAY... we were crying laughing as she had no control of herself... banging into stuff, tripping over her paws, running Cheli over - she was a true BULL in a china shop. We got her to drink almost a full bowl of water -- potty big time and she literally, passed out at 10:30. She slept with Lewis that night and he said she was OUT, seriously out cold and snoring, which she never does!

She was totally back to her ole self the next morning! :whew:

Sorry -- no pictures or video, battery was dead in the camera and the b/f was beyond his normal level of paranoia, er, I mean concern so I figured it best to just keep Banks moving.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is he doing.... ear clearing up?

Heck, this is nothing compared to the time I got Banbks high :up:

Here is the orginal post back in 2012..... :D

Funny story from Thursday night -

Once a month I take Banks for her laser treatment and I give her half-tablet of Xanax to calm her for the ride over (she HATES the car). Well, she also started on a neurological medicine so she does not feel the pain in her back in between laser sessions. WELL -- I did not know the two should not be mixed - OOPS! I gave her both meds at 4:10 PM.... we get to the vet at 5:30 and she goes right back for her treatment... I am in the waiting room with Cheli for the hour... she comes out at 6:30 and is SOOOOOO not listening to anyone and pulling to get back with the girls (she knows where they keep the treats). I'm thinking, what the heck is her problem, why is she not listening to me!!!

Ok, we're in the car and she always just lays in the corner, of the passenger seat floor with her head tucked under the dashboard which she did for the hour ride home. We get home and she is walking really strange.. dragging her front paws and acting like she has not had food in YEARS!! Ate her dinner in seconds (faster than normal)... then we feed Cheli and Banks runs over, pushes him out of the way and starts inhaling his dinner. Lewis had to pull her away as she would not listen. Then I am eating a PBJ and she is jumping up on my legs to try and get it from me - now, she always begs/stares while we are eating, but she NEVER jumps on us. At this point, it is now about 7:45... I say to Lewis what is wrong with her.. "she is dragging her paws and acting strange -- it is like she is drunk??" He agrees - we chat for a few seconds and I decided to call the vet office - tell them everything and ask -- 'should I have not combined her Gabapentin with the Xanax?'.

Janie goes to talk with Dr. Rossignili.... she comes back on the phone giggling ' Yes, Banks is high!' and Dr. Rossignili said (very thick Italian accent) "Never do that again". We (me and Janie) at this point are hysterical and I ask will she be OK.. should we take her to the ER. Nothing we could do as it was already in her blood stream -- UGH!! Only thing we could do is to get her to drink a LOT of water in order to flush her system.... how do we do that!?? PLAY... we were crying laughing as she had no control of herself... banging into stuff, tripping over her paws, running Cheli over - she was a true BULL in a china shop. We got her to drink almost a full bowl of water -- potty big time and she literally, passed out at 10:30. She slept with Lewis that night and he said she was OUT, seriously out cold and snoring, which she never does!

She was totally back to her ole self the next morning! :whew:

Sorry -- no pictures or video, battery was dead in the camera and the b/f was beyond his normal level of paranoia, er, I mean concern so I figured it best to just keep Banks moving.

That is a great story! The vet came yesterday, and Brutus does have a raging ear infection, but I had started treating it already and the vet agrees with the meds I have him on , so I will continue for another week. Both Frankie and Brutus otherwise have checked out excellent. Blood work for both came back this morning and looked great, no Heart Worm (thank god), although we did decided to put both back on conventional HW meds. Frankie is a fluffy 65lbs and Bru is 62lbs! We are good for another year! yay!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.