Not sick but drinks a lot of water each morning

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello I haven't been here for a while now because my 3.5 year old male bulldog has been healthy and happy as usual. For the past year or so I have noticed " Buddy" drinks a fair amount of water each morning right before we go out to go potty. I had his routine blood work done back about a year ago when this first started and the vets told me is was normal. I know sometimes Buddy will sleep with his tongue out and sleeping like that may make him feel the need to drink water but I am getting a bit concerned. I have an appointment already with the vet on Friday morning but I am wondering if this can be something normal that other bullie owners may have experienced ? Thank you

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a diabetic cat and of course that was the first thing that came to my mind… if your vet is checking his blood work, and you don't notice him eliminating in the house then I wouldn't worry.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Mine do this also even 9 week old pup , the older dogs did this having the tongue out while sleeping which is very normal as it helps them breath as they sleep mine also like to have there head slightly raised as they sleep again helps in breathing . I must say that tongue in the morning looks like a old tire dried out and such and thats why they drink so much to loosen things up I would bet .

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank you. I am hoping it is nothing and it is possible that he just feels the need to drink water to get his tongue back moisturized. We'll see what the vet says

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As long as he is not drinking a lot more than usual all day long, I would think all was okay. One of mine takes a long drink in the morning, and on at night before bedtime. it's just her habit. If your dog is diabetic, it would be drinking alot during the day,too, and having accidents in the house. I had a diabetic Shih Tsu for 7 years, [MENTION=12957]Bulldoginsfl[/MENTION]
Hope all is well!

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
My guys drink lots of water. Always have. I used to restrict the water with Taco because I was worried he was going to have accidents in the house, but now I always make sure they have water 24-7, and we haven't had any issues since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
As long as he is not drinking a lot more than usual all day long, I would think all was okay. One of mine takes a long drink in the morning, and on at night before bedtime. it's just her habit. If your dog is diabetic, it would be drinking alot during the day,too, and having accidents in the house. I had a diabetic Shih Tsu for 7 years, @Bulldoginsfl
Hope all is well!

Question with a diabetic is there insulin injection or pill how does one regulate the blood sugar levels , I had heard to give cooked pasta to a diabetic dog is that true ? sorry a bit off topic

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks everyone. I hope all is well. He is the sweetest lil guy in the world.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8958]natski282[/MENTION] No pasta for diabetic dogs. Pasta is a starch, which turns to sugar. Bread,pasta,sweets....no no's. I had my dog on a prescription diet for several years. Then things happened, and I could no longer afford it. I searched the stores for a food with similar ingredients, and found a dry food. She actually stayed more stable on it than the prescription food. I checked her urine every morning with the sticks from the drug store,and adjusted her insulin accordingly. She had insulin shots. She eventually went blind, then deaf, but like the pink rabbit, she kept on going! In the beginning, she was in hosp. a few times, as we couldn't get her regulated, but then all went well. She lived to be 14. Sorry [MENTION=12957]Bulldoginsfl[/MENTION] Best wishes that you baby is okay!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
@natski282 No pasta for diabetic dogs. Pasta is a starch, which turns to sugar. Bread,pasta,sweets....no no's. I had my dog on a prescription diet for several years. Then things happened, and I could no longer afford it. I searched the stores for a food with similar ingredients, and found a dry food. She actually stayed more stable on it than the prescription food. I checked her urine every morning with the sticks from the drug store,and adjusted her insulin accordingly. She had insulin shots. She eventually went blind, then deaf, but like the pink rabbit, she kept on going! In the beginning, she was in hosp. a few times, as we couldn't get her regulated, but then all went well. She lived to be 14. Sorry @Bulldoginsfl Best wishes that you baby is okay!

Thanks so much for that info you are a amazing person and great MoM ty

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone. I hope all is well. He is the sweetest lil guy in the world.
any update?

Both my guys do this as well.... always thought it was becasue they sleep with tongue out and their mouth is dry

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Mine drink water all the time. Ruby thinks she is a world class snorkeler and likes to snorkel in the Kio pond for the pump. Yeah, I have replaced the pump several times thanks to everyone watching her so close. She likes to feel the water run in her mouth. Amber will drink water from anywhere.....pond, toliets, your drink, it doesn't matter. My girls love the water and will play in puddles if I let them. Its a fasination for them.......that and anything with wheels.......that is game time for them. If he isn't having problems urinating he is probably fine. Good luck!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.