Help Needed! Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Have not posted on this site for a few years, and seem to have mislaid my prior post somehow so hope this is not a double post.

Our boy Aibou is now around nine and is medicated for various health issues in particular for joint soreness and also he gets two different eye ointments as nearly blind.

Unfortunately another real issue seems to be rearing its head. About six months ago he started acting strange eg getting stuck behind furniture (in a room he had lived in all his life) and pacing. The symptoms seemed to be consistent with canine cognitive dysfunction, although it also was explicable in terms of him going blind. Fortunately he returned to normal and didn't really display symptoms of this for about six months, even though his sight is worsening and we moved to a new home.

However in the last few days he has had repeated episodes (generally about half an hour long) where he seems to be in a distressed state, panting and pacing. He did not even seem to take much notice of me then. Also when I took him for a walk he walked for about 20 minutes without sniffing or peeing once (extremely unusual) before he came back to normal on the return walk.

So he is having these episodes of non-usual behaviour which I am guessing is neurological.

If this continues we will be taking him to a vet for something to calm him if nothing else - but I would be extremely appreciative of any comments from anyone who may have experienced anything similar with their bullies.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• SDC12007.jpg
    SDC12007.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 129

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry about all your baby is going through--- i have no experience and send you all positive thoughts and prayers.

I agree it seems to be neurological issues

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry, has a Vet assessed him yet?

Sending hugs & prayers there is therapy or
meds to help him.

Please update us.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2729]hoegaandit[/MENTION] So sorry to hear about your senior having problems. There is a medicine called Anipryl(sp?) that has been prescribed for dogs with this. I guess it is like
some meds. prescribed for Alzheimer's patients. The description you give of your dogs behavior is exactly like CCd. I would ask your vet about this medicine
it may help your boy. Best of luck,and Hugs for you and your "baby".

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Thanks for the comments. Just as an update he seems to have come right again. It may be that he is going blind and gets extremely upset if there are any changes made and then that sends him into a state. Recently my partner's mother came to stay, and we also moved a foam mattress out of his space (-he normally sleeps on the couch). Actually his space is the lounge which we usually block off as my partner's daughter is scared of him. (He is huge for a bulldog - probably 85lbs + and generally a dominant dog). Fortunately my partner's mother is very experienced with dogs and straight away got on good terms with him, so I think that got rid of his anxiety. Anyway it is great he is back to his normal self again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.