OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Scanning through the threads I see most people refer to a yeast smell as "fritos" or "corn chips" which I understand 100%. But Opie when he gets little infections they don't smell like that. They smell more sour. Is this something other than yeast?

In between Opies toes often get pretty red so we usually either soak them and or put some Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP 0.1% on them. (If anyone knows any alternatives to this so I don't have to buy from vet please tell me.) Sometimes I'll wipe his toes with duoxo pads as well, but those don't seem to help all that much.
Right now his front paws are terrible and he has a little infection going on in one of his nose wrinkles. He smells so sour.
I just wanna know if I am treating this right or not? Yeast or something else?
Could this be an allergy or should I consider switching his food? He's been eating the same stuff fro a bout year now and it's one of the only we've tried that doesn't screw with his stomach.
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Grain Free Turkey & Potato.
I ask this because he's always gotten red in between his toes but it's never been every single one before. He's not licking them or noticing until I put stuff on them.
His nose wrinkle is usually cleared within a couple days treating them with duoxo and that cream.

ETA: After googling some more I just read that bacteria feeds off that cream...anyone know if this is true? If so looks like I haven't been helping aid the problem very well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would look to get white potato out of the diet, but can you post a few pictures please

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Yeah I have been doing the epsom salt for two days now. This time around I have been doing hydrogen peroxide and epsom salt. I was thinking of trying apple cider vinegar after reading on here.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I saw you mentioned this on another thread about this same thing. I am going to go to our local store tomorrow evening and check what they have. They carry all the 5 star foods. I've been considering switching him for a while now and this has really just pushed me for it. Thank you.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom Yeah I have been doing the epsom salt for two days now. This time around I have been doing hydrogen peroxide and epsom salt. I was thinking of trying apple cider vinegar after reading on here.
@2BullyMama I saw you mentioned this on another thread about this same thing. I am going to go to our local store tomorrow evening and check what they have. They carry all the 5 star foods. I've been considering switching him for a while now and this has really just pushed me for it. Thank you.

:) Make sure you dilute the ACV if you try that. I used it once for Tyson, and he hated me bc his paws got super inflamed and I think they were burning :( I had to go re-rinse and dry. I felt awful, I guess I didn't dilute it enough.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
:) Make sure you dilute the ACV if you try that. I used it once for Tyson, and he hated me bc his paws going super inflamed and I think they were burning :( I had to go re-rinse and dry. I felt awful, I guess I didn't dilute it enough.

Oh no! Poor guy!! Thanks for saying something, I was just gonna go for it.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] When I get off work tonight I'll snap some pictures and put them up! Thanks

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
Last night his paws looked normal...next time it flairs up I'll get a picture

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I would look to get white potato out of the diet, but can you post a few pictures please

Is sweet potato better?
The past week I have been looking for a new food for him and I am at a serious loss. The only one I have found that seems to be good is Fromm Pork and Peas.
He is allergic to chicken, grain bugs him, and he always done best on limited ingredient food. He's a sensitive boy.
Also if we were to change is food how soon would we notice a difference in his paws and everything. They are flaring up again so pictures will be coming.

Gosh, bulldogs can be so frustrating.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Is sweet potato better?
The past week I have been looking for a new food for him and I am at a serious loss. The only one I have found that seems to be good is Fromm Pork and Peas.
He is allergic to chicken, grain bugs him, and he always done best on limited ingredient food. He's a sensitive boy.
Also if we were to change is food how soon would we notice a difference in his paws and everything. They are flaring up again so pictures will be coming.

I noticed a difference during one of our food switches RIGHT away! The red yeast took over after day 3 (I think) and by the end of the first week it was brutal. There is a method to switching gradually and I was torn on this when I noticed the negative results from that food switch, I wanted to stop it right away…hopefully yours won't go that way. Positive changes can happen just as quickly or take a few months…it all depends on your dog's system.

He's still flaring up even w/the ACV? Did you buy the kind w/the mother in it? That is one of the best ways to fight the problem from the inside…also works great as a rinse during bath time.

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I noticed a difference during one of our food switches RIGHT away! The red yeast took over after day 3 (I think) and by the end of the first week it was brutal. There is a method to switching gradually and I was torn on this when I noticed the negative results from that food switch, I wanted to stop it right away…hopefully yours won't go that way. Positive changes can happen just as quickly or take a few months…it all depends on your dog's system.

He's still flaring up even w/the ACV? Did you buy the kind w/the mother in it? That is one of the best ways to fight the problem from the inside…also works great as a rinse during bath time.

Wait, he should be consuming the ACV? I just soaked his little paws. Would the ACV be something I would be giving him on a consistent basis?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Wait, he should be consuming the ACV? I just soaked his little paws. Would the ACV be something I would be giving him on a consistent basis?
Yes, just a tiny amount in his water so he can't really taste it (a cap full). I use it daily and when I first started the result was immediate (w/in 2-3 days) whiter/softer/shiner coat.
That may be all you need (knock on wood). Just make sure it's RAW Organic (with the mother) it should be cloudy w/chunks/hairy stuff floating around, not clear!
PM'd the link

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is sweet potato better?

Yes, Fromm Pork-n- Peas is what I had to use with Banks... it was the only non-white potato I could find that woked for her. sweet potato is fine for whatever reason it works and does not seem to add to yeast issues

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

You can add a cap full in his water. But it has to be the raw, organic kind. Look for the brand Braggs. :)

OP
OpieRay

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
You guys all rock!! Thank you so much :)
I'm gonna stop by the store and pick up some of the good ACV, I had a generic brand that I use for my own hair laying around.
We still have a ton of his food he is currently on now so I will see if the ACV does it for me before making the switch!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
You guys all rock!! Thank you so much :)
I'm gonna stop by the store and pick up some of the good ACV, I had a generic brand that I use for my own hair laying around.
We still have a ton of his food he is currently on now so I will see if the ACV does it for me before making the switch!
just a side note…it's also good for humans!! I took shots of it all through last winter and was the only one in my household that didn't get that awful stomach flu (my girls got it twice). I swear by the stuff and am never w/out it in my cabinet lol. One shot 3x a day during the flu months :yes: *if you can stomach it…my hubby HATES it and refuses to take it - hence, why one out of the two of us caught the bug lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.