DozerTheBulldog

Sep 23, 2014
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hello Everyone! My name is Ashley. I am hoping to get some advice from some well-seasoned bully owners regarding my Dozer's tail pocket. Dozer is 6 years old. I adopted him almost exactly (a little more than) one year ago. When I adopted him, he had a pretty bad ear infection and I believe an infection in the tail pocket. We have managed to clear his ears up completely (absolutely no issues in several months) and I was able to clear the infection in his tail pocket. He is on better food now (Natural Balance limited ingredient duck & legume) with occasional yogurt and bits of banana as treats.

When I got him, his tail pocket had a brown discharge and foul smell, but after regular cleaning there has been no discharge or smell in a very, very long time. He never really cares for the cleaning routine (he tries to sit down, or walk away, or go play with his toys thinking that a distraction will prevent the cleaning). Our routine has always been witch hazel, followed by a douxo wipe, a thorough drying, and then some neo-predef powder once every day. About a week ago, I noticed he was bothered in a different way. He seemed like it was bothering him to have it cleaned. No crying, running away, or anything like that, but he just seemed bugged. I decided to take a look (if I gently pull his little nub up and pull his skin flap down I can see into his pocket) and I saw two sores! I do not know what to think! They are not deep in, kind of right in the middle. The sores are white-ish in color. No bleeding. Pretty round. It almost looks like he's just missing a layer of skin. They are not pussing although they have that white-ish color. It kind of reminds me of when you were little and would pick off a scab and it was discolored and moist looking after a bath. There is no swelling, no discharge, no hidden debris, no discoloration on the wipes, no smell at all, only redness right around the edge of the sores. His tail pocket is not too tight for maintenance. I have small fingers and I am able to thoroughly clean it without any issue.

I really don't think this is a yeast issue as there is no smell, but then again I don't really know. He did have his anal glands expressed about two weeks ago, but he got a bath (like always) within a couple hours of having them expressed. Could there be an infection from some of the gland liquid getting in there? Have I created sores by using the chlorahexidine douxo wipe every day? I read somewhere that the chemicals are harsh and can cause sores. Is this true? I am not even sure how to get a sore like this to heal! It looks like it needs to scab up, but how can it do that when I am cleaning everyday and it is already a moist environment? Has anyone ever had something like this happen?

I have set up a vet appointment for two days from now. My vets are great, but honestly are typically not much help in finding a way to fix the problem. They are by far the best around, but they still do not know much about the EB breed. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

Does sound like a healing sore, but I would want a vet to take a look to make sure, just as you are doing. in the meantime, I would cut back on the cleaning as it might be irritating the skin, maybe every other day till the vet gets a look?

Whre are you in MI... we might have a member near you that can recommend a bully-knowledgeable vet

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
First, Welcome to EBN. Dozer is a handsome boy.

To me it sounds like you are doing the right thing by keeping the tail pocket clean. Bentley's tail-pocket maintenance includes Huggie baby wipes. When his tail-pocket flairs-up, and there have been a few this past summer, we use Malecetic Otic Plus or the chlorohexedrine with eye make-up remover pads to clean his tail-pocket until the pads come back relatively clear/clean. Then we go back to the maintenance routine.

The sores do not sound like a good thing...I would most definitely see your vet.

I hope Dozer gets better soon. sending positive vibes your way. Please keep us posted.

OP
DozerTheBulldog

DozerTheBulldog

Sep 23, 2014
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you! I will cut back on the cleaning and see if it helps. I just hate knowing anything could be bothering him! He is still very energetic and playful like normal. Even after the cleanings, he will almost immediately start playing with toys like he always has.
I am located in Southeast Michigan, very very close to Toledo. I don't know personally know any other bully owners, so if anybody has a recommendation, it would be very much appreciated!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I will cut back on the cleaning and see if it helps. I just hate knowing anything could be bothering him! He is still very energetic and playful like normal. Even after the cleanings, he will almost immediately start playing with toys like he always has.
I am located in Southeast Michigan, very very close to Toledo. I don't know personally know any other bully owners, so if anybody has a recommendation, it would be very much appreciated!

check this list.... I have to ruin or would for you ;D

English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online