Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Max's face wrinkles are again causing problems, they are red, raw and irritated. I use Mal-a-Ket wipes, Desitin, baby wipes, and still they will not heal up.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what I can do to heal these very sore face wrinkles ... ?

Thanks for your help.

- Patrick

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
What food are you feeding him? I responded on another post this morning that my Stig's wrinkles used to be like that, he lost hair in his 'tear-stain' wrinkles and caused it to look raw. Actually, one time they got so bad that a customer at Petsmart came up to me asking if his wrinkles were bleeding. :eek: After a month of switching food, he stopped losing hair in that area.

I use a 'flush' that I got from my vet to clean his wrinkles. This flush was recommended to clean his hives he used to get before we got a control of his diet, in case that some get infected. It's $20 a bottle which is a little expensive, but I wanted to continue using it for his wrinkles because of the potential of it getting 'raw-looking' again. Another benefit is that you can really notice a difference after a few consecutive days of cleaning.

So imo it's most likely the food.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
While EBD that have big wrinkles WILL have some issues, they can be managed. Wipe daily with NON-scented, NON-lotion baby wipes. Wipe dry with another dry cloth, etc. We take a dab on our fingers of DESITIN, GOLDBOND or even just baby powder and wipe through the area. The vets (and on-line ordering sites) can sell you a medicated pad that is very good for these problems. Be sure and wipe by the "rope" over the nose, on top of head if they have it and even by the tail area. Anyplace where there are folds need to be wiped and kept clean and dry.
ABEBD

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Using medicated pads and baby wipes is not really helping to keep the area DRY. Both the pads and the wipes only add 'moisture' to the already irritated and reddened raw area.

Goldbond? As in Powder? I wouldn't even begin to know how to apply powder between the wrinkles.....and I don't think powder is a good idea for that area of a dog's face.....

The Desitin ointment doesn't really appear to be helping a whole lot....
so I'm still at a loss ....

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
With any moist wipes, and even the flush that I use, we need to dry the area after either with a towel or cottonball.

Then I apply cornstarch in his wrinkles with a q-tip. It's perfectly safe. Just be careful not to get any in the eyes. Same thing with Goldbond. I usually clean his wrinkles at night when he's half asleep. At least that way he won't move too much or even budge at all.

A lot of of owners here use either Desitin, cornstarch, Goldbond or none! Also, Desitin only works when the area is completely dry (according to what I've read here).

Last edited:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Cleaning wrinkles daily is important, and once you get in the habit, it really isn't a big deal. I haven't gotten Gertie and Ida to the place where they enjoy it, but they put up with it fairly well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
With any moist wipes, and even the flush that I use, we need to dry the area after either with a towel or cottonball.

Then I apply cornstarch in his wrinkles with a q-tip. It's perfectly safe. Just be careful not to get any in the eyes. Same thing with Goldbond. I usually clean his wrinkles at night when he's half asleep. At least that way he won't move too much or even budge at all.

A lot of of owners here use either Desitin, cornstarch, Goldbond or none! Also, Desitin only works when the area is completely dry (according to what I've read here).

[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] I agree with the above .... and it is so important to dry the wrinkles afterwards. when I first found this website I started to get into the habit of wiping Maggies wrinkles with baby wipes for sensitive skin, but didn't realise that I had to dry straight afterwards at first. As soon as I started to drying out her wrinkles really well they got so much better. They were red and sore before that!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I use tear stain pads (Pro-Pet) to clean HRH's face wrinkles. Then I dry with a tissue. I haven't needed to do anything else yet.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE:

Well, Maximus' wrinkles still aren't looking good at all, they remain red and raw and irritated,,,,

I've cleaned them with baby wipes, with Mal-a-Ket wipes, and dried them with plain Kleenex tissues, than applied either Desitin ointment or Gold Bond powder, and nothing..... they are not healing....

I'm going to keep at it and hope for the best ......
I don't think the powder will do anything to heal the raw red irritated skin. He is currently on 2 antibiotics due to an infection he had this week which caused a Temp of 104, but I will continue to clean them
wipe them, dry them and use the powder and see what happens.

Thanks to all of you....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ask your vet for some panalog ointment. It is probably yeast or some type of bacteria causing the inflammation and this stuff works wonders! Also see the article about tear stains I wrote. You can find it in the EBN articles board. I cannot copy and paste the link on my iPod :(

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
What food is Maximus on?? The only reason I ask is that Maggie has been on Fromm ever since I found this site and realised what I was giving her was :poo:!!

However, even on the Fromm she has developed an allergy to chicken, and we had a lot of problems with her face smelling, and then interdigital cysts which became infected. The other thing I noticed is that her tear stains came back ... and a lot of that was due to the fact that I noticed her eyes were watering more. So despsite wiping her wrinkles religiously it was the continuous watering of the eyes that was making them red and sore! It might be something to consider??? She's back on the Fromm salmon now and the tear stain soreness has all gone ... just battling the interdigital cysts now which take FOREVER to go away!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I also wonder if maybe you just need to not use anything on his wrinkles for a while and see what happens - meaning wash them with a damp cloth and try them but no cream, ointments, or anything? It could be something you are cleaning him with that is causing the irritation...or, as other have suggested, something in his food that is not agreeing with him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
... just had another thought ..... when Maggie is feeling ill her eyes seem to water more, and so we do have problems making sure her eye wrinkles don't get sore. I know maximus has been ill lately which is what made me think of it ...

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
First thing...to clear up those nasty sore wrinkles...NOTHING works as well as Pinxav. It "stains" so use it sparingly...But it will clear up any rash fast.

[Learned this when my SIL had a baby and we were vacationing at the ocean...diaper rash + ocean water = raw tushie Pinxav is what was recommended and it cleared up almost over night]

So I've used this on my Tank's wrinkles as well...Just again use it sparingly...and be careful around the eyes.

ALSO...Benadryl...ALLERGY ONLY...What does your dog weigh? 1 pill is 25 mg...so you would give that do a dog that weighs 25 lbs... And go from there...a dog 50 lbs would take two. It maybe an allergy related thing...

But food also can cause issues...believe it or not. I did read others ask you what you were feeding. I switched my food with my bulldogs and was AMAZED at how little I now need to clean their wrinkles...Tank used to have sore and puffy wrinkles at times...and now...NEVER! So that is another area you may want to venture into figuring out.

But definitely once you clean those wrinkles dry them really good.

Fairqueenj

Feb 19, 2012
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I am having the same problems with Lucy's face. I clean the folds every single day and they still stay red and inflammed and bleed on and off. I have tried many things. Someone please tell me what I can do to help her and thanks so very much!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.