What could have caused this?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I went to clean Samson's face last night and I noticed the wrinkle under his right eye was very irritated, goopy and raw looking. I have NEVER had an issue with his wrinkles except when I had him on that god awful Nutro, between 1 year and 1.5 years his face looked terrible but then I discovered Natural Balance. That cleared him right up and his face has been beautiful ever since. All I have ever had to do is wipe his face regularly with a warm, wet washcloth. His face isn't super wrinkly. Last night I used two fingers to spread open the wrinkle and cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide then wiped it dry, I did that this morning as well. Is that what I should have done?

There has been 2 changes lately, not sure if those could be the cause. I had Samson on these hip and joint supplements for about a month. I noticed 2 weeks ago that he started scratching his face more. His chin area got red from the scratching, not yeasty red but irritated red from scratching. So 2 weeks ago I stopped giving them to him. Around the same time I started with the supplements I introduced the Natures Variety Instinct duck and turkey formula. Before giving him that food he had been on a fish based diet for over 3 years and has always done great, we did Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon for like 2.5 years, then 2 bags of Fromm Surf & Turf then one bag of the NVI salmon, did fine on all of those. Could it be either of those things you think? To be safe like I said I stopped with the supplements and I ordered the NVI salmon this time which should be here Tuesday and I will start on that RIGHT away. If anyone has any insight on this to share it would be greatly appreciated :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's 'tear stain' wrinkles used to look raw too. Not infected, but the hair in the areas somehow lessened. I noticed now that he doesn't lose hair there anymore, and it's most likely due to his food change.

I would start with ceasing the supplements too before changing the food since it's easier on his digestive system.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well I stopped the supplements almost 2 weeks ago and since his wrinkles just started looking like this, goopy/yucky and raw, within the last day or so I am thinking its the food.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry but I am no help ... Maggies face smelt, then she got sore wrinkles followed by the interdigital cysts that got infected. I'm thinking that it was the Fromm chicken ...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would guess- only a guess- that he doesn't like the turkey. If I were you, I would get him back on the salmon, and every few days give him just a half scoop of the turkey. This way you are still altering protiens but not to the full extent.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I would guess- only a guess- that he doesn't like the turkey. If I were you, I would get him back on the salmon, and every few days give him just a half scoop of the turkey. This way you are still altering protiens but not to the full extent.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] That was my thought too. I know he did fine on the duck in the Fromm Surf & Turf. As for turkey, I know he did not do well on Innova adult, back years ago it was the first food I tried after nutro and that food's main protein is turkey. But that wasn't a grain free food so I really didn't know if it was the turkey and chicken or the grain. I think at this point I can say no chicken, turkey or grain for Samson!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As you know Vegas eats the same food as Samson, he did Salmon a couple of bags then I switched to Chicken, he did not to well at all on the Chicken, I switched back to Salmon and he is just fine. I am not going to try the turkey because it is to close to the chicken. I was thinking Duck, but then I think, Why Change at all? He does so well on the Salmon. It is me that is bored with it, not him, he wolfs down every morsal and looks at me for more at both feedings. It is his snacks that I am changing around, I usually give him two small snacks a day I have been alternating from fruits and veggies of all different kinds.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Fromm Beef Frittata is the ONLY Fromm product that is both Grain Free AND Chicken Free! Maybe try that.?? :lug: Samson :heart:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Boy, wish I had an answer for you. Ida's tear stained are still horrible, so I've quit bothering to do the Angel Eyes, it made no difference. Her face isn't raw, goopy, smelly, or yeasty. She has just got dark brown tear stains, plain and simple, no matter what I do or don't do. So guess I could try white paint (that's about the only thing I haven't tried), that's just the way it is.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boy, wish I had an answer for you. Ida's tear stained are still horrible, so I've quit bothering to do the Angel Eyes, it made no difference. Her face isn't raw, goopy, smelly, or yeasty. She has just got dark brown tear stains, plain and simple, no matter what I do or don't do. So guess I could try white paint (that's about the only thing I haven't tried), that's just the way it is.

Perhaps try her on the grain free diet and see if it helps?

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Awe poor samson, how is he doing TessaAndSamson?

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] He's still scratching at his face and his eyes are watering more than usual but I think I have been managing it so its a little better. I've been cleaning his face off with a wet warm washcloth twice a day. Then cleaning the problem wrinkles with peroxide then drying them which has definitely been helping. I also uped his allergy meds, he is prescribed 2-3 a day and I normally only give him 2 but for the last few days I have been giving him 3. My bag of salmon NVI from petflow won't be here until Tuesday :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Got any hamburger or salmon? You could give him the bland diet until it arrives.... Just a thought.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I was thinking the same thing. Hope the food change helps him.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] LOL Too funny, thats 3 people today! My mother-in-law was telling me to do the same thing this afternoon! Looks like Mr Sam will be having a beef and rice breakfast :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online