Oral Papilloma Virus and My Jewelie Girl

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well for my 2,000 post, I thought it should be for the love and education of all canine pet owners.

My Jewelie girl came down with some wart-like growths on the side of her mouth. As I was inspecting the growth, I accidentally picked one off and found that the thing was attached. Jewel bled a little bit as I applied pressure with a Kleenex and stopped the bleeding. I put the now specimen in a plastic bag and as luck would have it, we had a vet appointment the following day. I gave it to our vet who sent the growth to a lab which confirmed the diagnosis of Pappilloma.
c18fff0e0f8540f96460ff502e7d55de.jpg

Here is a link about the subject: Oral Papilloma Virus in Dogs

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! I found one of these on Buster about a year ago and the same thing happened to me, it healed but I never knew there was an actual name for it. Thanks for the info.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Wow! I found one of these on Buster about a year ago and the same thing happened to me, it healed but I never knew there was an actual name for it. Thanks for the info.

Hi Phil, You're welcome sir. I was told by the vet that they can be something else more serious and they only way to know is if a biopsy is performed.

On the lighter side, my Bentley is running all over saying Jewel has cooties. Yuck...girls have cooties. I told him to quit saying these things because he may come down with a case. We are trying to keep the kids from sharing toys etc.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Both of mine have it too right now. Vet said it usually goes away on it's own. We think in our case, they came out because they're both on Apoquel and it's suppressing their immune systems so the warts came out.

I just saw a dental vet for it on Monday. He said they usually go away on their own. But if Wellie gets worse, or it grows, we can have them removed. He has one large papilloma and few small ones.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Both of mine have it too right now. Vet said it usually goes away on it's own. We think in our case, they came out because they're both on Apoquel and it's suppressing their immune systems so the warts came out.

I just saw a dental vet for it on Monday. He said they usually go away on their own. But if Wellie gets worse, or it grows, we can have them removed. He has one large papilloma and few small ones.

Our vet, I love her so, said the bigger ones could be surgically removed and the quote was short of$1,000 and we said that is OK we will wait as they are not affecting her. Yes they are unsightly but sorry...anesthesia costs too damn much and she was under for her ACL surgery and more recently for her teeth cleaning. I think they can wait.

Yes ma'am...I believe it is Jewel's diet since she is on the low fat Royal Canin Gastrointestinal...I wish Fromm would come out with such a diet formula that would be more nutritious. I'm giving her Nu-Vet supplements. Now we have to use the best medicine in the world..."Tincture of Time."

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.