General Question Questions about neutering my puppy? Any help or advice is appreciated

TobytheTank

Sep 23, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Good Morning Everyone :)

My english bulldog goes by the name of Toby. He is currently 9 months of age and I am interested in neutering him for a couple of reasons. One of the main reasons is for health concerns that can occur when a dog is not neutered. Another reason is because I am not interested in breeding with him and the neutering will help keep him under control for training and behavior purposes.

I currently go to a Vet in Whitehouse Station in New Jersey. The vet has experience with English Bulldogs and I was recommended to use him by a fellow bulldog breeder. The vet gave me an estimate of how much the neutering would be for my english bulldog. The estimate came out to $480-$490.

If anyone has advice on wether this is too high please let me know, or if anyone in New Jersey is aware of any other vets that are well experienced. I know many people get it done by the state animal center for much cheaper but because of my breed I am skeptic of using their services.

Any advice would be useful! thank you everyone!!

Sincerely,

Toby

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

My english bulldog goes by the name of Toby. He is currently 9 months of age and I am interested in neutering him for a couple of reasons. One of the main reasons is for health concerns that can occur when a dog is not neutered. Another reason is because I am not interested in breeding with him and the neutering will help keep him under control for training and behavior purposes.

I currently go to a Vet in Whitehouse Station in New Jersey. The vet has experience with English Bulldogs and I was recommended to use him by a fellow bulldog breeder. The vet gave me an estimate of how much the neutering would be for my english bulldog. The estimate came out to $480-$490.

If anyone has advice on wether this is too high please let me know, or if anyone in New Jersey is aware of any other vets that are well experienced. I know many people get it done by the state animal center for much cheaper but because of my breed I am skeptic of using their services.

Sincerely,

Toby

Hi Toby,

I know you're in Jersey, @nycbullymama has an amazing vet she uses for her boys, that are very experienced with bulldogs, esp in surgery. Definitely worth the trip into the city when you know you're dealing with a good vet. Our babies are not like the average breed, experience is a must due to anesthesia. She can chime in with the name for you.

I would not go with just anyone, that is for sure. They need 24 hr supervision & immediate supervision when waking up, so experience is MUST.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Sincerely,

Toby

Hmm.. wonder if I know your breeder.

Mine were neutered at the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan on 62nd st. off of York Ave. near the FDR drive.
It's a vet hospital that's open 24/7 and is always staffed by vets, not just techs.
The doctors there are very aware of the risks anesthesia poses to brachycephalic breeds, and take extra precautions. They have someone with them the entire time and they watch them like hawks.

The vet that neutered my two is Dr. Pamela Schwartz. She's Board certified and her specialties include soft tissue surgery.
If you're interested, here's her info. Pam Schwartz, DVM, DACVS, CCRP | Animal Medical Center

BUT, they're not cheap. It's a non profit research hospital and they charge quite a bit for run of the mill procedures. It's the only place I trust when it comes to my bulldogs though. They've always
received top notch care.
They will charge more than the estimate you received though.

There's another place in Staten Island called Richmond Valley Veterinary Practice. They're close to Jersey.
Most bulldog people from North Jersey go there, and even many from South Jersey and Long Island do as well.

They have extensive experience with bulldogs, in fact, that's what they're known for.
I've been their twice and saw Dr. Christopher Powell. He definitely knows the breed, but I was told every vet there does.
Richmond Valley Veterinary Practice Their prices are more in line with other vets.

OP
T

TobytheTank

Sep 23, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Toby
Thanks for the Advice [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.