histiocytoma or hot spot?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
My husband and I were away in Canada for the last week. My mother in law came down and watched the pups. When we got home yesterday I noticed that my frenchie mix had a sore on his paw. Sully has had both hot spots and histiocytomas before. I think this looks more like a histiocytoma but it's a lot bigger than I've seen on him before.

My mother in law claimed that she didn't see it until I pointed it out, which just makes me think it formed very quickly...so still it could be either a hot spot or histiocytoma.

It does not seem to be really bothering him too much, just looks nasty.

I'm headed away again for a week for work by my husband is going to be around so I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet before I go just to ease my worried mind...

Thoughts??

975649cfe0b87850bba6ffef5a9ddb2c.jpg

1a3c2ef2c32aa3de2f3e8c269c475851.jpg

3d08075ddfdbff01015f6d018117494d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I should add that the top picture is a more accurate depiction of the color - the bottom two is weird lighting making things look more yellow/red

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
One more note... The reason I initially thought it was a hot spot was because the lawn maintenance people came and seeded the yard the day before we got back and sully is allergic to everything under the sun.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had never seen a hotspot swell like that..... hysot-thingy usually look more like a wart --- I am leaning to a cyst, I would soak in epsom salt a couple times a day and see if there is any change. I also tagged Lisa to get her thoughts

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I had never seen a hotspot swell like that..... hysot-thingy usually look more like a wart --- I am leaning to a cyst, I would soak in epsom salt a couple times a day and see if there is any change. I also tagged Lisa to get her thoughts

My thoughts exactly. He has had both hotspots and hysto - this looks like neither. I just might make a vet appointment so I can have a clear mind before I have to hit the road again on Sunday. I know my husband is going to have a heck of a time trying to soak his paw by himself lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My thoughts exactly. He has had both hotspots and hysto - this looks like neither. I just might make a vet appointment so I can have a clear mind before I have to hit the road again on Sunday. I know my husband is going to have a heck of a time trying to soak his paw by himself lol

I have cleared one up with Listerine once (plain yellow one)... try pouring some of that on it and see it is helps

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree, it looks like a cyst to me too. We've always done Epsom salt soaks, works great, and will get the inflammation and size down in a few days.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I'm leaving tomorrow for a week long business trip so I decided to take Sully to the vet so my husband didn't have to take him / he could properly treat him.

The vet said that there are a few possibilities - and in order of what he think it is: 1. Trauma/infection (bug bite that got infected OR cyst) 2. Ringworm 3. Tumor.

So current treatment is antibiotics and anti fungal wipes. We have a scrapping that went to the labs to determine if it is ringworm but for now he wants to topically treat it - and the antibiotics were given in case it is an infection/cyst.

The ringworm results takes about 2 weeks to come back but if it is ringworm he wants to get him on oral treatments too. He said that it takes a while for ringworm to grow and a while for it to go away

If it is a cyst (and doesn't respond to the antibiotics) or a tumor we will need go back in a couple of weeks to have it removed.

So now we will wait and see...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This totally looks like a hystiocytoma and they usually crop up overnight too without warning.

These can take a couple of months to disappear.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm going to save this thread so I can do an article on hystiocytoma, may I use your pics [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION]?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I'm going to save this thread so I can do an article on hystiocytoma, may I use your pics [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION]?

Absolutely, but I'm still not sure if it is histiocytoma but if you feel that it is a good representation of it - feel free to use the pics. He did have one on the under his paw once pic below. Feel free to use that one too [emoji3]

1b707333e76381355421809afc651e56.jpg

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Btw, my husband and I decided that it is not ringworm- it's a definite lump. So we are not going to use the ring worm topical treatment. Sully didn't like it too much and until we get confirmation that it is ringworm we are going to hold off on burning his skin with an unnecessary treatment. We are going to stick with the antibiotics just in case it is an infection or a cyst.

kayleeeeclark

Feb 25, 2020
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf
C9901615-0D84-49C1-A2BC-C50EF876C044.jpegHi! My dog has this exact spot on his paw & I was wondering if you found out what is was? Because itā€™s been really worrying me. Thanks!

Attachments

• A64F221C-3781-4EFB-8478-D162F7E48C7B.jpeg
    A64F221C-3781-4EFB-8478-D162F7E48C7B.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 748

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
View attachment 118569Hi! My dog has this exact spot on his paw & I was wondering if you found out what is was? Because itā€™s been really worrying me. Thanks!

That does not look like a hotspot to me but Iā€™m not an expert. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to lumps and bumps unless I know 100% itā€™s a histiocytoma so if it were me, Iā€™d probably have it checked by a vet for peace of mind.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello n Welcome!!!

Iā€™m no expert in histiocytoma but usually they look more like warts sticking out like the first 2 photos. I donā€™t see yours sticking outwards. Jake got a few hot spots since I got him. I finally made the link is when he gets stressed going somewhere heā€™s not comfortable with seem like a pattern heā€™ll get a hot spot come out a few days later. I shave around it, wash it with dawn dish soap, add NuStock for 3 days and itā€™s gone/going.

Histiocytomas
E6B96A82-B5D1-4DF8-87A2-C7B59444DE6F.jpeg
0E06A74D-7B84-483E-8B74-F9099EA9ED2D.jpeg

Hotspots
830577E9-7052-4836-9618-8BE00D092AA1.jpeg
FB51190A-489C-495A-852B-4ECF3F048CC7.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.