Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION] not sure how I missed this thread, but I just caught up. I'm so sorry for all you have been through. Powers is gorgeous. You are in great hands and have been given great advice and support. I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'll be thinking and praying for you guys!! Love the costume pics btw. I'm a newer bully owner, so I can't offer too much, but I'll be checking in and praying! He really is stunning!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION] giving him some pumpkin (not pie mix-pure pumpkin) can also help with diarrhea. So happy he is still doing well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He can throw rice all he wants in my book as long as he is eating ! :D.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Hi, everyone. I hope everyone has been having a good weekend so far. Sorry I've been out again. Admittedly, I've picked up a second job for the holidays to help alleviate the hospital bill Powers got when he first got sick.

Powers is doing pretty well. Appetite, thirst, and energy are as usual. Only real thing that's happened lately is that he started getting really, really awful diarrhea on Thursday. This is the first time he's ever went #2 in his crate (done it a few times), so it's apparently a bit for him, too. I've had him on the bland diet for right now to see if that'll help calm his stomach. Any other suggestions? He'll be at the vet this week for a follow-up, so I can also check for suggestions from the vet then.

Thanks, everyone! Here's a picture of him throwing rice everywhere yesterday.

View attachment 93116

Just like quite a few people here I'm just catching up on the adventures of Powers. First I would like to say that you certainly chose a very fitting name for him! :)

While my guy does not have HOD he certainly grew very fast when he was a pup -5LBs a week until he was about 9 months. He was constantly hot and whiney. I can't imagine what it must have felt like to grow that fast (and then in Powers case, have bones just doing what they want!). The way we use to cool him down was to have a frozen towel on the kitchen tile and have him lay on it. We wouldn't soak the towel and freeze it but just lightly sprayed it with water and froze it.

As for the diarrhea, The gang has you covered with the canned pumpkin suggestion - it really works wonders. I did notice you mentioned that Powers was eating more (possibly from the steroids). Over-eating can also cause diarrhea so if he is still pigging out, that might be the cause of the diarrhea.

Did you ever decide on changing foods yet? Or is it still too soon for you to start that transition given all the other things going on with him right now?

When Curls was a puppy he had constant soft serve poop - not hard, not watery, somewhere in between and I was feeding him Buffalo Blue Wilderness, which is rated fairly well. I went on a limb and decided to change his food to Fromm's pork and peas and since then he has had perfect #2's

Anyhow, I hope this helps and please keep us posted on Powers. He is a lucky guy to have someone like you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Powers is just Precious in his Halloween Outfit, he looks so Happy, I Love His Two Toothfers.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone! I'm sorry I've been quiet for some time, just been very busy with work.

Powers has been doing very well. Still on Prednisone, but a lower dose and he hasn't been sick since the last vet visit. His energy and appetite are usual, and I think he's adjusting fine to his growing pains. The only issue I'm having now is that he's having little bald patches pop up where he's losing a little hair. The vet had seen this as maybe an immune system thing tied to his bone condition, and I'll see what she thinks about it the next time I take him in. Do you all have any experience with hair loss? What did you do to address it?

I don't have many pictures of him lately, but here's a fun one that you all may like (you'll have to click to see it on this one). I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, give your Bullies extra hugs and treats. They are truly one-of-a-kind...

Feeding Time for Powers - GIF on Imgur

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, everyone! I'm sorry I've been quiet for some time, just been very busy with work.

Powers has been doing very well. Still on Prednisone, but a lower dose and he hasn't been sick since the last vet visit. His energy and appetite are usual, and I think he's adjusting fine to his growing pains. The only issue I'm having now is that he's having little bald patches pop up where he's losing a little hair. The vet had seen this as maybe an immune system thing tied to his bone condition, and I'll see what she thinks about it the next time I take him in. Do you all have any experience with hair loss? What did you do to address it?

I don't have many pictures of him lately, but here's a fun one that you all may like (you'll have to click to see it on this one). I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, give your Bullies extra hugs and treats. They are truly one-of-a-kind...

Hey Chip.... good to see you posting! Glad to hear Powers is progressing and adjusting to all that is going on. He is one handsome boy!
As for the loss of hair... do they start as a scab and then the fur falls off easily? If yes, it is most likely staph infection which is usually due to a weaken immune system.... add some probiotics to his meals (plain yogurt) will help.

Merry Christmas!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Chip! It's wonderful seeing a great update from you. Sending Powers many Christmas hugs! I pray he continues to get better & stronger as he grows!
Don't forget about us! Yes, I agree with Christine on weakened immune. I'd get him on some probiotics & maybe a multivitamin. Keep in touch!

-Jessica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
MERRY CHRISTMAS PRECIOUS POWERS, SO HAPPY YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL. YOU ARE REALLY A BEAUTIFUL BULLY BOY.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.