fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. I'll be getting Powers from the vet in about two hours, but for now here's what's going on.

I stopped by to see him after work yesterday and he looked quite sad. This is natural since his face is swollen to no end and his legs are going through the excess growing process now, too. But, he was still waggy when he saw me and when we took him outside to go to the bathroom he was better able to stand up on his own. Also was panting/smiling a bit since it's a little warm right now. He was on fluids, antibiotics, and prednisone.

This morning my vet called me as I was pulling in to work. I quote her, saying that he looks "a hundred times better" this morning. He is apparently eating, drinking, walking around, the usual stuff. He still has his goofy puffy face, but at least his pain is managed fairly well at this point. Because of this progress, she said she'd feel okay if he went home tonight. We'll just be using prednisone instead of the NSAIDs for a couple of months to manage his growth pains. I'll see if I can post another update tonight, but so far so good. :)

Bonus pictures from yesterday at the vet. I wish he would have told me he wanted to be a zombie for Halloween. Then I wouldn't have needed to buy him a costume! (And yes, he has a costume. I'll save those pictures for the end of the month!)

WP_20151012_17_22_08_Pro.jpgWP_20151012_17_33_01_Pro.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, everyone. I'll be getting Powers from the vet in about two hours, but for now here's what's going on.

I stopped by to see him after work yesterday and he looked quite sad. This is natural since his face is swollen to no end and his legs are going through the excess growing process now, too. But, he was still waggy when he saw me and when we took him outside to go to the bathroom he was better able to stand up on his own. Also was panting/smiling a bit since it's a little warm right now. He was on fluids, antibiotics, and prednisone.

This morning my vet called me as I was pulling in to work. I quote her, saying that he looks "a hundred times better" this morning. He is apparently eating, drinking, walking around, the usual stuff. He still has his goofy puffy face, but at least his pain is managed fairly well at this point. Because of this progress, she said she'd feel okay if he went home tonight. We'll just be using prednisone instead of the NSAIDs for a couple of months to manage his growth pains. I'll see if I can post another update tonight, but so far so good. :)

Bonus pictures from yesterday at the vet. I wish he would have told me he wanted to be a zombie for Halloween. Then I wouldn't have needed to buy him a costume! (And yes, he has a costume. I'll save those pictures for the end of the month!)

View attachment 92186View attachment 92187

Dag gone growing pains. The hell with em' - poor guy does look sad. I bet he hates being there. He will be so excited when Daddy picks him up today! Be sure to post him in his costume in our contest going on now:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-enter-bulldog-halloween-costume-contest.html

Did they give you an insight on future, like how long it will take for his growing pains, etc?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad he's feeling so much better. We have a member here who's pit bull went through growing pains as well. It was difficult to watch what he he had to go through, which was similar to what Powers seems like is currently experiencing. He stayed at the vets for days, if not, weeks. But now he's a rambunctious character.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Yes, I'm confident that he'll be fine with a little TLC. The vet says this disease will essentially coincide with his growth plates and growth in general. Meaning, it'll probably be around 12 months of age before the unnatural growth stops. I'm hoping that as we continue these little phases he'll begin to adapt to them better and react more favorably when they happen.

I imagine this situation as something he and I will look back upon and be thankful that we stuck through and that we had each other. As someone with no prior parenting experience, Powers has definitely taught me a lot and made me more appreciative of some of the little things in life.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, I'm confident that he'll be fine with a little TLC. The vet says this disease will essentially coincide with his growth plates and growth in general. Meaning, it'll probably be around 12 months of age before the unnatural growth stops. I'm hoping that as we continue these little phases he'll begin to adapt to them better and react more favorably when they happen.

I imagine this situation as something he and I will look back upon and be thankful that we stuck through and that we had each other. As someone with no prior parenting experience, Powers has definitely taught me a lot and made me more appreciative of some of the little things in life.

They are indeed pretty amazing little things aren't they. I am so happy he's been such a fighter & trooper this far. He owes it all to YOU. Great Daddy!

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Yes, they are. :) I've always been fascinated by the breed and I'm glad that I can be a part of the "club" now!

I do have another question for you all that I keep forgetting to ask. When your babies were going through any growth spurts, did they get sick or react in any way similar to Powers? Especially during this weekend, it really feels like Powers' head is becoming "regular" bulldog size, proportion-wise. I wonder if this has been throwing him off, too, along with the extra bone growth. Thanks!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

I agree, I bet he'll be just fine with a little TLC.
Also wanna say I think you're doing beautifully "raising" your little guy. You're one hell of a puppy parent!! :hug::kisskiss:.

Please give Powers a huge kiss from me and my boys.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy to see his sweet fave and read the positive progress and future for you! and your boy!!

As for your question... Normal growth spurts there is a lot of sleeping and hiccups--- not sure on the vomit it could be from the meds... Ask your vet about it and they may suggest Pepcid or something to coat his belly

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Christine, thank you for the input on my question. :) Can't say he hiccups all that much, but there has been a lot of sleeping today.

I got Powers home and he's been doing all right. He ate a little before laying down and spending most of the evening sleeping at my side. Woke up and then peed the carpet on the way to the door; having to "go" more often is supposedly a side-effect of his prednisone, so I'll need to be mindful of that.

I read through the new material my vet gave me once we discovered the bony growth was not limited to his jaw. I guess the proper name for Powers' condition has been "upgraded" to Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD). In the literature she gave me, there is a line that reads "These cases may have involvement of the mandible and be clinically similar to cranial mandibular osteopathy." So, it sounds about right. I'll let you know how everything goes this week. Good night, everyone. :)

WP_20151013_18_13_02_Pro.jpgWP_20151013_18_13_08_Pro.jpgWP_20151013_18_16_40_Pro.jpgWP_20151013_19_45_03_Pro.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Christine, thank you for the input on my question. :) Can't say he hiccups all that much, but there has been a lot of sleeping today.

I got Powers home and he's been doing all right. He ate a little before laying down and spending most of the evening sleeping at my side. Woke up and then peed the carpet on the way to the door; having to "go" more often is supposedly a side-effect of his prednisone, so I'll need to be mindful of that.

I read through the new material my vet gave me once we discovered the bony growth was not limited to his jaw. I guess the proper name for Powers' condition has been "upgraded" to Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD). In the literature she gave me, there is a line that reads "These cases may have involvement of the mandible and be clinically similar to cranial mandibular osteopathy." So, it sounds about right. I'll let you know how everything goes this week. Good night, everyone. :)

View attachment 92205View attachment 92206View attachment 92207View attachment 92208

he is such a sweet boy... love that face!

Yes, predisone makes them pee a LOT... need to tighen the potty schedule to accomidate more time outside.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh man, predisone makes them pee a ton..lol.. Blue goes about every 2 hours when he's on it.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Is it still relative to his intake or does it also just happen more at random? He seemed to hold it normally last night, but I am here at work wondering how he'll fare until I get home.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is it still relative to his intake or does it also just happen more at random? He seemed to hold it normally last night, but I am here at work wondering how he'll fare until I get home.

I can't really remember if it was random, but I know it was not intake related just seemed like they can not hold it as long

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I can't really remember if it was random, but I know it was not intake related just seemed like they can not hold it as long

hmm.. I think Blue did drink more too. It's been a while since he was on steroids so I can't remember exactly. But aside from him peeing every couple of hours, I'm
pretty sure he drank more too.
What I do remember is the prednisone also made him pant. I remember this because I called my vet and she said it was one of the side effects.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
hmm.. I think Blue did drink more too. It's been a while since he was on steroids so I can't remember exactly. But aside from him peeing every couple of hours, I'm
pretty sure he drank more too.
What I do remember is the prednisone also made him pant. I remember this because I called my vet and she said it was one of the side effects.

This is where I am at.... it has been so long since I allowed my guys on pred, that I really can not fully remember.... but I think you might be right on the intake

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online