TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, everyone! Sorry that I've been away for a few days. My mother's birthday was on Saturday so I spent most of the weekend visiting her and the family.

Jessica, Powers has been doing well. The vet appointment was basically just for him to be seen by his regular vet and the staff (six of them came into his room giving him all forms of smothering, glad that he made it through). She sent me with some probiotics to give with his food for a bit. Also, when his antibiotics are finished, we'll be doing another chest x-ray just to make sure we're clear of any pneumonia symptoms. A bit of an unrelated question, but is Bil Jac really a bad food? Everyone I've talked to has seemed pretty approving of it, though I noticed the food section on the forums here gives it a very low rating. Any insight as to why?

Donna, I actually live in Richardson, too! Close to Richland. The emergency vet I used was in Mesquite off Belt Line and Northwest Drive. The reviews seemed quite favorable, so I didn't mind the extra drive. As for the disease, so far it's been practically new territory for all involved, but everyone seems to be in agreement based on his x-rays. From the reading I've done, the disease isn't directly fatal, so I'm hoping he'll manage through in these coming months. But I'll definitely keep that Trinity Mills location in mind should something come up again. While the emergency vet was good, I am still open to another location if needed.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm gonna try to finally post up a "happier" introduction sometime this week.

Yeay! You didn't forget about us! Glad he is doing so much better! When it comes to food, I couldn't tell you exactly why, but I will say its based off the ingredients used, where the ingredients are sourced from, recalls, etc.

Can't wait for the "happier" intro and some updated pics of Mr. Powers :) Please deliver hugs from me & Tyson!! PS. We're in Katy (Houston) heyyy fellow Texan.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Hi, everyone! Sorry that I've been away for a few days. My mother's birthday was on Saturday so I spent most of the weekend visiting her and the family.

Jessica, Powers has been doing well. The vet appointment was basically just for him to be seen by his regular vet and the staff (six of them came into his room giving him all forms of smothering, glad that he made it through). She sent me with some probiotics to give with his food for a bit. Also, when his antibiotics are finished, we'll be doing another chest x-ray just to make sure we're clear of any pneumonia symptoms. A bit of an unrelated question, but is Bil Jac really a bad food? Everyone I've talked to has seemed pretty approving of it, though I noticed the food section on the forums here gives it a very low rating. Any insight as to why?

Donna, I actually live in Richardson, too! Close to Richland. The emergency vet I used was in Mesquite off Belt Line and Northwest Drive. The reviews seemed quite favorable, so I didn't mind the extra drive. As for the disease, so far it's been practically new territory for all involved, but everyone seems to be in agreement based on his x-rays. From the reading I've done, the disease isn't directly fatal, so I'm hoping he'll manage through in these coming months. But I'll definitely keep that Trinity Mills location in mind should something come up again. While the emergency vet was good, I am still open to another location if needed.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm gonna try to finally post up a "happier" introduction sometime this week.

Chip, I always refer to Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor when I am considering changing foods. Right now, mine are doing okay on Taste of the Wild, and it is easy for me to find in my small town.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@fitchalcyone

The reason for the low rating is because of the ingredients. It has two different types of by product meals in the adult formula (the one dog food adviser reviewed).
First is chicken by product, the second is chicken meal by product.

While they did mention that the chicken by product is organs only, we don't know exactly which organs are included. The second is chicken meal by product.
This is just pure crap. Anything can be included in it. In other words, parts of the chicken that no one would ever eat or have a use for. Innards, waste, feet and even feathers. It's just the worst parts of the chicken, no real nutritional value.
And because it's chicken meal by product, there's a ton of it.
Remember, meal is created by getting rid of all the water (think dehydrated) so you're left with pure protein. That's why it's preferable to fresh (but only in kibble) as fresh contains mostly water- so pound for pound, you'll always get more protein out of meal when compared to fresh.

After those three ingredients, you now have cornmeal. It's a cheap grain. The better dog foods don't have it.

While there are worse foods than Bil Jac, there are also much better ones. Feeding Bil Jac is like putting your dog on a fast food diet. Maybe not Mcdonalds bad, but think TGIF bad. At least that's my opinion.

Also, there are laws in what you can name a dog food. So always look for something that has a named protein in the title. Never buy something called, e.g. "A Bulldogs Dinner" because it's going to be mostly by-products and grains.
Look for something called "Bulldog Chicken Dinner" because if there's a named protein in the name, the chicken needs to make up a certain % of the ingredients. This is according to FDA regulations. More info. here:
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...s-pet-food-according-fda-regulations-lot.html

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Thank you for that info! Perhaps a food "window-shopping" day is in order today with Powers. He's graduated to the backseat since his pneumonia. Little baby is getting spoiled quick. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for that info! Perhaps a food "window-shopping" day is in order today with Powers. He's graduated to the backseat since his pneumonia. Little baby is getting spoiled quick. :)

AWESOME!!!!

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, again, everyone. If I can ask for some advice, please.

As accompanies Powers' CMO, he is currently running a fever. It's probably been since Wednesday, but not until yesterday did it really affect his energy or appetite. While this apparently is part of his growing pains until the disease finishes, I'm just a little nervous since this is the first time I'm hitting it. Powers is pretty weak today and has only had water. I've had to carry him around most places as he's even having a hard time standing up. Spoke with the vet this morning and she said to continue giving him his Rimadyl to address the fever and his pain. I'll be dropping him off at the vet's office Monday morning before work and he'll get his chest x-rays to verify the pneumonia is out (original reason), and also see if there's anything else causing him to be so weak right now. With that said, what do you all usually do for your babies during a fever? He hasn't really exhibited many other symptoms, just warm and starting to drool now. Thanks in advance, everyone.

I found a pretty good picture online of what is essentially going on with Powers. It's an actual skull rather than an x-ray, so it gives insight into the situation. Also a picture of him from Thursday when he was goofing around. This week has been a little up-and-down again.

gr91.jpgWP_20151008_21_45_12_Pro.jpg

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am sending Prayers and Positive Thoughts for Precious Powers, can he be operated on his jaw to help him? Please keep us informed on what the Vet said. I Love Sweet Powers.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, again, everyone. If I can ask for some advice, please.

As accompanies Powers' CMO, he is currently running a fever. It's probably been since Wednesday, but not until yesterday did it really affect his energy or appetite. While this apparently is part of his growing pains until the disease finishes, I'm just a little nervous since this is the first time I'm hitting it. Powers is pretty weak today and has only had water. I've had to carry him around most places as he's even having a hard time standing up. Spoke with the vet this morning and she said to continue giving him his Rimadyl to address the fever and his pain. I'll be dropping him off at the vet's office Monday morning before work and he'll get his chest x-rays to verify the pneumonia is out (original reason), and also see if there's anything else causing him to be so weak right now. With that said, what do you all usually do for your babies during a fever? He hasn't really exhibited many other symptoms, just warm and starting to drool now. Thanks in advance, everyone.

I found a pretty good picture online of what is essentially going on with Powers. It's an actual skull rather than an x-ray, so it gives insight into the situation. Also a picture of him from Thursday when he was goofing around. This week has been a little up-and-down again.

View attachment 92060View attachment 92061

Since he is on the Rimadyl, you can't do much else from a med stand point..... try to keep him hydrated use ice cubes or a turkey baster to get water in him. Let him sleep as it will help fight the fever.... if her get more lethargic or refuse meals, I would think about a vet visit today.

continued prayers

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. Quick update on Powers today. Didn't really want to leave his crate all day and for some reason his head looked really big today! It wasn't until later when I had him standing up that I verified that his lower jaw is crazy swollen right now. It almost looks like his head just popped up a couple of notches today (we always joked that his head was very small to his body and it was only a matter of time before his head caught up [see last picture for his funny proportions from about six weeks ago]). The good news is his temperature seems a lot better now, as only his forehead is slightly warm to the touch. Yesterday his entire body was noticeably warm. He didn't eat again today but was happy to go for water. You can tell that his jaw is making him quite uncomfortable, but thankfully he'll be seeing the vet in the morning.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your time. :)

WP_20151011_11_38_29_Pro.jpgWP_20151011_16_10_13_Pro.jpgWP_20151011_21_11_56_Pro.jpgWP_20150809_08_55_02_Rich.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, everyone. Quick update on Powers today. Didn't really want to leave his crate all day and for some reason his head looked really big today! It wasn't until later when I had him standing up that I verified that his lower jaw is crazy swollen right now. It almost looks like his head just popped up a couple of notches today (we always joked that his head was very small to his body and it was only a matter of time before his head caught up [see last picture for his funny proportions from about six weeks ago]). The good news is his temperature seems a lot better now, as only his forehead is slightly warm to the touch. Yesterday his entire body was noticeably warm. He didn't eat again today but was happy to go for water. You can tell that his jaw is making him quite uncomfortable, but thankfully he'll be seeing the vet in the morning.

View attachment 92123View attachment 92124View attachment 92125View attachment 92126

Poor sweet baby, I'm ready for him to just get past this so he can enjoy being a pup. Sending lots of prayers and good vibes today for his xrays, and testing. I hope everything goes well. Will be looking out for updates. Love that last pic of him outside, he is such a little stud. xoxo Powers!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

View attachment 92123View attachment 92124View attachment 92125View attachment 92126

He is so damn sweet..... good luck today -- will be watching for n update

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. I just got a call from the vet.

The good news is that Powers' lungs look clear from the x-rays. The not-quite-good news is that the x-rays show that the bony growth may not be limited to his lower jaw. The vet is seeing the same growth occurring in his rear legs, which would explain his reluctance to walk or stand. I forgot to upload a couple of pictures I wanted to ask you all about, but they were essentially large bumps on his backside. I'm at work and don't have them on me at the moment. It turns out that these were abscesses that are being attributed to everything Powers' body is experiencing right now and its reaction. The game plan now is to keep him there overnight and begin to put him on a steroid treatment in place of the Rimadyl. She said that this method should yield some improvements within a couple of days, so hopefully more good news is on the way.

I didn't call this bad news because for some reason I feel a little better this time around. We've gone through the first phase of this and I believe that Powers will be the little tank he is and get through this. Also, he'll be staying at his regular vet this time as opposed to that emergency clinic, so I feel a lot more comfortable with the people he'll be around. As always, I am thankful for your prayers. I'll keep you all posted. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, everyone. I just got a call from the vet.

The good news is that Powers' lungs look clear from the x-rays. The not-quite-good news is that the x-rays show that the bony growth may not be limited to his lower jaw. The vet is seeing the same growth occurring in his rear legs, which would explain his reluctance to walk or stand. I forgot to upload a couple of pictures I wanted to ask you all about, but they were essentially large bumps on his backside. I'm at work and don't have them on me at the moment. It turns out that these were abscesses that are being attributed to everything Powers' body is experiencing right now and its reaction. The game plan now is to keep him there overnight and begin to put him on a steroid treatment in place of the Rimadyl. She said that this method should yield some improvements within a couple of days, so hopefully more good news is on the way.

I didn't call this bad news because for some reason I feel a little better this time around. We've gone through the first phase of this and I believe that Powers will be the little tank he is and get through this. Also, he'll be staying at his regular vet this time as opposed to that emergency clinic, so I feel a lot more comfortable with the people he'll be around. As always, I am thankful for your prayers. I'll keep you all posted. :)

Positive thinking is what we all need to keep going for your boy! Happy to hear his lungs are cleared up.... one big step in the right direction

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
One step at a time, and so happy his lungs are clear!!! He is a tank!! and he will get through this just like he did the other! We're all rooting for you little Powers :) Thanks for the update!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.