sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Reading along and hoping for more good news on Powers prognosis...he's so lucky to have you!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Great to hear that Powers is eating! I usually have some Nutri + gel in the house for if my guys are not feeling well and not eating. It has a lot of energy and nutrients and in gel form so it absorbs easily like straight from the gums. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way....
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION]

Nu gel plus is available on Amazon. But estimated ship date is October 26th. Doesn't hurt to order it and have it on hand.

In the meantime, there's something here called Tomlyn Nutri-Cal for dogs. It's similar to the Nu Gel Plus but I can't vouch for it as I've never tried it.
Might be worth a shot though- it's available at Petco so if there's one near you, you can try calling to see if they have it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is really great to hear, if he continues to eat he can only get better. Heavy heavy prayers to you both. Thank you for posting back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One of my neighbors came with me today to see Powers (Powers actually met him on the first day he came home with me). He's a little familiar with what's been going on, but on the way to the hospital I briefed him on the situation and what possibilities there were with this visit. I packed Powers' favorite toys, his treats he ate growing up (I rotate through various flavors now but save some of his "baby" ones as extra-special treats), various sorts of food (including the puree; thank you for that recommendation), and some clear Pedialyte. Heading in, the veterinary tech gave me the briefing I've heard all weekend about his state and how it's looking grim, and I told her I'd like to speak to the doctor about everything again. A nurse came in with Powers and he had a fair amount of energy today, especially happy to see my neighbor and my mom, who came along, too. Powers was beginning to have too much fluid in his system so they removed his IVs that day and also got him off the fentanyl drip. His protein was low and they were worried he would need a secondary method of feeding soon.

As the nurse was describing Powers' day, I pulled out his treats in their foil bag, and like clockwork Powers walked up to me and sat his wrinkly butt down. I was in awe and tearing up. I went through the motions just like I did when he was growing up, breaking it in half so it was manageable for his baby mouth. With little hesitation, Powers gobbled them up as he always does. I was shocked and wanted to keep this momentum up! Pulled out the chicken and rice "sludge" and got a spoon in front of Powers. He started licking at it and got a few spoonfuls in. I got his dry food and he ate a little out of my hand! I was bawling like a giant baby at this point, because contrary to what was apparently happening earlier in the day, Powers was now eating.

The doctor came in and we had a talk about everything going on and what to expect and watch out for in the coming days. Heading into the visit, I made it clear (again) that the tube idea made me very uncomfortable and I wanted to try having Powers at home to see if that would help any. She seemed supportive of him being "ready," as nothing they'd administer him now wasn't anything I could do as well. We left with Powers and an antibiotic (for maintaining the pneumonia [he shows no symptoms but they want him on it for a while longer]) and anti-inflammatories for the pain. He is home now and sleeping a good deal. He is not yet "normal" judging by his behavior, but I can tell the pneumonia being gone has helped his activity quite a bit. He's been walking all over the apartment reclaiming his territory, haha. Frankly, he is still weak and it shows, but I am hoping these coming days will readjust him and he starts eating normally again. This is the number one concern right now for the doctors, as he needs to be intaking a lot over the next few days. I'm going to need to experiment in the kitchen for a while to see what interests him the most.

As for the bone disease, it is what it is. We are surely far from finished with dealing with it, but at least we have taken a step forward. No one can guarantee Powers will make it through it, but I am eternally thankful for the man upstairs and knowing that Powers and I are meant for each other. I appreciate everyone who prayed for us during this extremely trying weekend, and I've found out in short time what an amazing community you are. I'll be getting Powers to his regular vet this week so we can essentially baseline where we are at now and devise what we need to do in the coming weeks to get Powers back to a better state. I'll keep you all updated as I go. We're not out of the woods yet, but at least we're headed in that direction.

View attachment 91689

Such great news --- baby steps! He will get there .... thank you for keeping us updated --- continued prayers and positive thoughts being sent

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm so happy for you and baby boy!!! Excellent update! Thank you God for these blessings!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
we almost lost one of our puppies once and our vet gave up on him.. our breeder told us to give him stage two baby food, chicken or beef.. has the nutrients in it that they need..he pulled through and turned out to be the biggest pup.. glad hes eating and praying for you both..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
we almost lost one of our puppies once and our vet gave up on him.. our breeder told us to give him stage two baby food, chicken or beef.. has the nutrients in it that they need..he pulled through and turned out to be the biggest pup.. glad hes eating and praying for you both..

That's a great idea!! I use Earth's Best Organic baby food (stage II Apples and Blueberries) when mine have their shots, my old vet taught me that trick. Their faces are glued into the small jar the entire time but I never thought of it for this!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
yeah our bulldog had 7 puppies, when they turned 4 weeks old one of the pups got really sick and couldn't eat off its mom.. i took it to the vet and the vet told me.. "well,you had 7".. no kidding,, as if this one dies you will still have 6, i told her that is the reason i am here (at vet) because i wanted 7 puppies... she just said sometimes these things happen... i was so upset.. came home with my puppy and called my breeder.. she told me to take it away from mommy and give it the stage two baby food.. i had to use a syringe the first couple times and do it every half hour..he would only eat a teaspoon at first but by next day he was eating it out of my spoon.. i still buy it sometimes when i have a bully with upset stomach.. and by the way,, we got a new vet... love her..

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. Sorry that I've been a little quiet today, I've been catching up on responding to my friends, donors, emails, etc. that have piled up over the weekend, all the while fitting in every minute I could with my baby.

This morning Powers has been more of his usual self. He wasn't visibly as weak and he ate more of his food. Right now he is having some of his dry Bil-Jac mixed with the chicken/rice puree I made for the Monday visit. He seems to be just fine with it and has gone through a third of his full bowl today. Still not as much as usual, but it's definitely progress. Conveniently, he'll eat the treats I'm giving him to no end, haha. I will be on the lookout for the Nutrigel, Riikka, and I will definitely try that satin ball recipe, nycbullymama. It sounds fun to try, does anything in that list need to be cooked? Tracey, thank you for the input regarding the insurance. I was afraid of the pre-existing restriction being the case, but do you think any fever/pneumonia he may get as a result of his limited jaw mobility would count as that or just a new occurrence? In any case, I'll start looking around to see. And Gail, your story is so sweet and I'm glad "Number 7" pulled through and that he's doing well. I'll keep those food recommendations in mind, too.

Sometimes I wonder what all went on in that hospital. It's funny how he looks practically normal now (minus the shaved legs and wobblier walk) even though they were telling me doom and gloom each day. I have to give them benefit of the doubt, and at the very least I'm grateful for them getting Powers through the pneumonia. I think more than anything that's what was hindering him (along with the meds maybe making him uninterested in eating). So far it almost seems like the jaw pain isn't bothering him that much. Granted, yes, it's quite apparent that his movement is compromised (he's playing with his toys, but often chewing from the sides right now), but it doesn't seem like there's much hesitation to it.

Thank you once again, everyone. I'm so happy to have read all of your posts of support, recommendations, and prayers. I'll keep the updates going and maybe finally get to start venturing out of this one thread on the forum. :)

WP_20150929_17_56_29_Pro.jpgWP_20150929_19_06_30_Pro.jpgWP_20150929_20_09_36_Pro.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Some Advice Requested & Introduction

Hi, everyone. Sorry that I've been a little quiet today, I've been catching up on responding to my friends, donors, emails, etc. that have piled up over the weekend, all the while fitting in every minute I could with my baby.

This morning Powers has been more of his usual self. He wasn't visibly as weak and he ate more of his food. Right now he is having some of his dry Bil-Jac mixed with the chicken/rice puree I made for the Monday visit. He seems to be just fine with it and has gone through a third of his full bowl today. Still not as much as usual, but it's definitely progress. Conveniently, he'll eat the treats I'm giving him to no end, haha. I will be on the lookout for the Nutrigel, Riikka, and I will definitely try that satin ball recipe, nycbullymama. It sounds fun to try, does anything in that list need to be cooked? Tracey, thank you for the input regarding the insurance. I was afraid of the pre-existing restriction being the case, but do you think any fever/pneumonia he may get as a result of his limited jaw mobility would count as that or just a new occurrence? In any case, I'll start looking around to see. And Gail, your story is so sweet and I'm glad "Number 7" pulled through and that he's doing well. I'll keep those food recommendations in mind, too.

Sometimes I wonder what all went on in that hospital. It's funny how he looks practically normal now (minus the shaved legs and wobblier walk) even though they were telling me doom and gloom each day. I have to give them benefit of the doubt, and at the very least I'm grateful for them getting Powers through the pneumonia. I think more than anything that's what was hindering him (along with the meds maybe making him uninterested in eating). So far it almost seems like the jaw pain isn't bothering him that much. Granted, yes, it's quite apparent that his movement is compromised (he's playing with his toys, but often chewing from the sides right now), but it doesn't seem like there's much hesitation to it.

Thank you once again, everyone. I'm so happy to have read all of your posts of support, recommendations, and prayers. I'll keep the updates going and maybe finally get to start venturing out of this one thread on the forum. :)

View attachment 91748View attachment 91749View attachment 91750

Things are only going to go up from here as he regains his strength! Been looking out all day for updates. This for sure is a great one [emoji3]

Continue whatever is working for you, as long as he's eating!! I'm sure being in the hospital was crummy for him all hooked up to IVs and people he doesn't know. He's still just a baby so I'm sure it was overwhelming for him; Just like you or I would feel uncomfortable sick in a foreign place. But he needed that, and it's a good thing you didn't wait longer.

Have a wonderful night, and please deliver hugs to Powers from me & Tyson!!! And thanks for the pics, you can tell he's feeling better! What a stud muffin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless You Powers, so Wonderful you are feeling Better, you look so happy since you are at home with your Dad. God Bless You Sweetie.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

View attachment 91748View attachment 91749View attachment 91750

Love the pics. He sure does look better. You're a great bullie daddy!

As far as I know, you just mix all the ingredients together, form balls and feed it raw. Just freeze the balls and thaw as you're using.
But, I'm finding out if the oatmeal needs to be cooked (don't think so though) and will tag you to let you know.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION]

Was just told you do not cook any of it. Not the beef, oatmeal, nothing. Just mix it together, form balls and feed. I would do very small balls to encourage him to eat. Like mini meatballs.
Good thing is it's very soft so it shouldn't be too difficult for him.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION] - how is powers today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Man, it sure is good to see those pics of you and Powers! I'm so grateful that he's doing better. God bless you both!

Most Reactions