1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I know this is off the wall but before Chumly died I had to try everything to get him to take his pills, I could not get them down his throat. What I did finally was wrap them in various meats, cheese etc. then dip it in canned cat food! Something about that smell of cat food was like crack to him! He scarfed it down. Maybe you could put just a small amount of cat food on top of his food and see if the smell attracts him. I have also heard baby food works well.

I am so sorry this is happening and do hope he gets better, poor boy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has given great suggestions and i agree make a chicken purée and bring to him.... Do what you need to help him and please give hum hugs and kisses from all his friends at EBN

You a great bully Dad and Powers is very lucky he got you as his skin-dad

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm so sorry I've been on vacation and have read through this entire thread, I'm so sorry this is happening.

I have had to tube feed a young puppy and it became second nature after time. For both him and I. I am not sure if they have actually done the same type of tube feeding as I did, but basically I prepped the milk or mush and warmed it to body temp, attached a catheter, slid it down his throat into his tummy (the catheter was marked to where his tummy goes). Pushed it in and he was done.

If this is what they speak of doing, I encourage you to give it a try.

I also do believe in trusting your instincts and if you believe this will truly believe his quality of life is not worthy, you have our support in getting through that horrible decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm just getting to this thread and my heart aches for you both. We had to make the heart wrenching decision to let a puppy go because of some special needs he wouldn't be able to overcome.
You will know in your heart if and when Powers can't do it anymore.
that being said....puppies are pretty resilient little things. Maybe being home and back into a routine with you will help him.
Whatever decision you make, I'm sure you will choose the best thing for your little guy. Thinking of you both! :heart:

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
One of my neighbors came with me today to see Powers (Powers actually met him on the first day he came home with me). He's a little familiar with what's been going on, but on the way to the hospital I briefed him on the situation and what possibilities there were with this visit. I packed Powers' favorite toys, his treats he ate growing up (I rotate through various flavors now but save some of his "baby" ones as extra-special treats), various sorts of food (including the puree; thank you for that recommendation), and some clear Pedialyte. Heading in, the veterinary tech gave me the briefing I've heard all weekend about his state and how it's looking grim, and I told her I'd like to speak to the doctor about everything again. A nurse came in with Powers and he had a fair amount of energy today, especially happy to see my neighbor and my mom, who came along, too. Powers was beginning to have too much fluid in his system so they removed his IVs that day and also got him off the fentanyl drip. His protein was low and they were worried he would need a secondary method of feeding soon.

As the nurse was describing Powers' day, I pulled out his treats in their foil bag, and like clockwork Powers walked up to me and sat his wrinkly butt down. I was in awe and tearing up. I went through the motions just like I did when he was growing up, breaking it in half so it was manageable for his baby mouth. With little hesitation, Powers gobbled them up as he always does. I was shocked and wanted to keep this momentum up! Pulled out the chicken and rice "sludge" and got a spoon in front of Powers. He started licking at it and got a few spoonfuls in. I got his dry food and he ate a little out of my hand! I was bawling like a giant baby at this point, because contrary to what was apparently happening earlier in the day, Powers was now eating.

The doctor came in and we had a talk about everything going on and what to expect and watch out for in the coming days. Heading into the visit, I made it clear (again) that the tube idea made me very uncomfortable and I wanted to try having Powers at home to see if that would help any. She seemed supportive of him being "ready," as nothing they'd administer him now wasn't anything I could do as well. We left with Powers and an antibiotic (for maintaining the pneumonia [he shows no symptoms but they want him on it for a while longer]) and anti-inflammatories for the pain. He is home now and sleeping a good deal. He is not yet "normal" judging by his behavior, but I can tell the pneumonia being gone has helped his activity quite a bit. He's been walking all over the apartment reclaiming his territory, haha. Frankly, he is still weak and it shows, but I am hoping these coming days will readjust him and he starts eating normally again. This is the number one concern right now for the doctors, as he needs to be intaking a lot over the next few days. I'm going to need to experiment in the kitchen for a while to see what interests him the most.

As for the bone disease, it is what it is. We are surely far from finished with dealing with it, but at least we have taken a step forward. No one can guarantee Powers will make it through it, but I am eternally thankful for the man upstairs and knowing that Powers and I are meant for each other. I appreciate everyone who prayed for us during this extremely trying weekend, and I've found out in short time what an amazing community you are. I'll be getting Powers to his regular vet this week so we can essentially baseline where we are at now and devise what we need to do in the coming weeks to get Powers back to a better state. I'll keep you all updated as I go. We're not out of the woods yet, but at least we're headed in that direction.

WP_20150928_20_56_28_Pro.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Some Advice Requested & Introduction

I'm in tears learning what he's going through. You've received invaluable advice and I will continue praying that he will make it through this.

So glad that he's able to eat something! The bond that Bulldogs have with their humans is strong, they will instantly glow when we're around. And vice versa!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
God Bless You Powers, keep eating and get strong, we are all Praying for You Powers, We Love You, Prayers are coming Your way Powers and Positive Thoughts Sweet Boy.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I was just reading this, what an emotional journey you've been on this past week. I'm SO happy to read that Powers is home and improving, he is stunning<3

Welcome to EBN to you and Powers :) Sending positive thoughts for continued improvement for little Powers.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great to hear that Powers is eating! I usually have some Nutri + gel in the house for if my guys are not feeling well and not eating. It has a lot of energy and nutrients and in gel form so it absorbs easily like straight from the gums. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way....

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's wonderful news- he's definitely heading in the right direction.

The pneumonia had an effect on his eating. When mine had it, he didn't want anything either. Now that it's cleared up, you'll get a much better idea of what he's really willing to eat.

I completely forgot about Satin Balls. It's a recipe for dogs that need to gain weight quickly.

Here's a basic one:

This is the original recipe:
10 pounds hamburger meat (the cheapest kind)
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil (*see note)
1 1/4 cup of unsulphured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

"However, if you just want to try them out or have a small dog, I recipe this scaled down version (1/10th or the original)."

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin (no idea what this was but found it on Walmarts site).
2 tablespoons oil (* see note)
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

* The only thing I suggest you change is the oil; vegtable oil has no health benefit, so substitute it with an oil that does (like flax seed oil which is high in healthy omega 3s).
Also, I would wet the cereal to keep everything soft.

Fingers crossed that today's update is a good one.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sorry I'm so late to this thread...

Welcome to EBN, and I'm so very sorry that you are going thru this… first of all I want to say what a PHENOMENAL Bully Dad that you are!!! You are definitely giving your baby every fighting chance, and I really hope and pray that he does pull thru, of course you will have all our support.

I want to add that pet insurance IMO would be a mistake, anything that Powers has been diagnosed w/at this point would be considered pre-existing and I know for a FACT that Trupanion would not cover any of it. If you can find an insurance that would help you out in this situation then by all means… I dealt w/a horrible situation w/Trupanion and I wanted to give you a heads up!!!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@fitchalcyone
I am in full blown tears. I'd been checking in all night for an update. Waking up to this is amazing. Praise the Lord! While there are still other issues, this step is tremendous. He needs to regain his strength through nutrients to continue getting better! Those little spoonfuls of the chicken purée along w treats, and some pedialyte although seems like a little is huge! I just know that he'll keep eating, a little more by day. I would keep it bland for now, with the purées or boiled soft chicken. Things that will hit the belly easy Bc he's weak. Don't do full blown kibble for a while. A few bites here & there is fine if he'll take it though :) Also, as Ellie mentioned, the satin balls are a great idea. Packed full of calories, fat & nutrients!

We are all beyond thankful right beside you. Thank you God for your glorious hand in this situation.
Praying that the anti-inflammatories and pain meds help the jaw so he's at least comfortable and able to eat! I pray the problem settles it self out as he grows.
Looking forward to your update today! I just know he's beyond happy to be home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thank god Powers is finally eating. I think being home with you will help tremendously. I will continue to pray for you both.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Sending lots of hugs and prayers and so many positive thoughts to you and Powers. Thank you for all that you are doing for the little guy. He is so lucky to have you and he is such a trooper too!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online