TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
They've tried just about everything in the food aspect, from liquified to treats to syringe-feeding (in which he would often spit out most of it). The tube is a very big mixed bag and risk, given his condition. Along with the procedure being a risk in general, he is more susceptible to pneumonia and choking because of his restricted jaw movements. The main doctor predicts the tube may be a forever thing, and I'm still trying to find ways to justify that on a 6-month old puppy.

Right, with his current condition, going through surgery is high risk. What did they say in terms of letting you take him home? How is he doing with the pneumonia? I hate that its come to this, did you consult your regular vet as well to see if she had any insight?

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
The primary doctor I've communicated with throughout his stay seemed fairly supportive of the idea, while the one staffing today is not very confident in that option. My vet is out today due to an emergency, so I haven't spoken with her yet. :(

For the pneumonia, I think he's shaken off most of the symptoms, but the malnutrition is affecting him now. He's been running a low temperature for a couple of days.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The primary doctor I've communicated with throughout his stay seemed fairly supportive of the idea, while the one staffing today is not very confident in that option. My vet is out today due to an emergency, so I haven't spoken with her yet. :(

For the pneumonia, I think he's shaken off most of the symptoms, but the malnutrition is affecting him now. He's been running a low temperature for a couple of days.

Considering everything, if taking him home gives him any ounce of a chance, I'd take it. Maybe he will eat at home, if you hand feed him - anything, some boiled chicken, or something. What about pedialye? Will he drink?

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
I'm going to try and fight for it again tonight. I'm just seriously hoping I am not fighting at his expense. I am hoping he will do something different then if they let me.

He's apparently only been drinking water from the hose when they'd run the water in front of him and he'd just lap it. From a bowl he still won't do.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
can you blend some boiled chicken, green veggies, a little broth and some rice? make it a puree and bring it to him? you have a better shot of having him lick
it up if it smells really good, plus it would be you feeding him.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'm going to try and fight for it again tonight. I'm just seriously hoping I am not fighting at his expense. I am hoping he will do something different then if they let me.

He's apparently only been drinking water from the hose when they'd run the water in front of him and he'd just lap it. From a bowl he still won't do.

Pick up some Pedialyte on your way. Get a bowl, and pour it slowly to mimic the hose. See if he'll drink it. Don't let them tell you no, he's your dog, see if he take its. It at least has some kind of nutrients and electrolytes in it.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
We've tried a "buffet" of foods over there at the hospital that the nurse would leave me and Powers alone with. He'd show interest, but not to the point where he'd eat it. I was thinking of just trying to bring his dry food so see if somehow that got him thinking of home. Also his favorite rope toy. I'm sure he wouldn't bite down on that right now but I'm just trying to do anything I can that may make him pull through this.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Jessica, I will try that too. Thank you for the suggestion. As always, I'll keep you all posted. Thank you all for your kind words and time out of your day to pray for him.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Forget what the nurse gave you. Seriously, get some chicken, boil it, and then puree it with the water. Home cooked chicken is a dogs best friend. None can resist the smell!

The Pedialyte is good idea. Just don't get the grape flavor one.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Forget what the nurse gave you. Seriously, get some chicken, boil it, and then puree it with the water. Home cooked chicken is a dogs best friend. None can resist the smell!

The Pedialyte is good idea. Just don't get the grape flavor one.

I'd try anything at this point, it doesn't hurt. If its liquid, you can mimic it being poured and see if he'll lick it up. @fitchalcyone Do you have a blender? The tiniest bit of anything he can get in is great.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Hi, everyone. I'm a little tired tonight so I'll just leave a brief update for now...

I got a call from the doctor around 6 this evening. She told me that the radiologists reviewed his x-rays and came to the determination that what we're dealing with (along with the bronchopneumonia) is something called mandibular osteopathy. What's happening is Powers' lower jaw is continuing to develop bone beyond what should have been done by now. This may persist for months, there's no real projection that can be made. With that, they have put him on anti-inflammatories along with his pain meds to see if this encourages him to finally eat. We're at a wait-and-see situation for now; they've gone over some potential future actions with me, but I'd rather not go into them just yet because naturally I don't want to go those routes.

Jessica, I'll come up with a better reply tomorrow to your advice and I really do appreciate the encouragement. A lot of information is sitting in today so I'm a little all over the place right now. I'm going to rest up shortly and then wake up with hopefully a clearer mind. I'll try to do a little research and see what the overall picture is looking like. More updates to come...

Have you let the breeder know about the mandibular osteopathy? This sounds like it could be genetic, and I would think a reputable breeder would have a health guarantee. I know this doesn't help with the emotions you are going through right now, but maybe you could get reimbursed for some of your expenses? Or the promise of another puppy in the future? I only suggest this because I went through a similar situation in June that was truly heart-wrenching. However I was able to get through it, and have two wonderful bully babies who I love to the moon and back.

As for the tube feeding, I do not understand why your vet was so against this, as I would think it is safer than syringe feeding. My Shiner was fed via tube, but his condition was so deteriorated that it was not even a factor. I did the same thing as you, and did not get insurance for Shiner. However, I now have insurance through Trupanion for my two, and I pay $90 a month. So far, they have been healthy, and if it takes paying for health insurance to keep them healthy, I am all for it!

I sure hope Powers can pull through this. I am sending prayers your way.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Thank you! I'll try all of these tonight. I'm even trying to bring neighbors he knows with me. If they're comfortable with it, even their dog (his best friend and first puppy he met on the day I took him home). These are definitely trying times...

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Ginger, Powers' main vet had the same concerns that the doctors with him now are having. The main issue isn't so much the stomach tube on its own, but combined with the bone disease. If he's to vomit even once during these next six or seven months while the condition is still occurring, it's hard to say what will come of that. This disease has added so many variables, which has made neither decision comfortably seem better than the other.

The breeder does have a health guarantee and we spoke on the phone today to clarify the situation. Per the contract, he is not responsible for any vet costs but is obligated to provide me another puppy when I decide the time is right. Yes, of course no one will ever replace Powers should it come to that, but it is a small consolation in light of everything now and one way of knowing not all of my costs were in vain.

I made the mistake of putting off his insurance but will make sure to repeat that again, especially after this. Fingers crossed I'll be able to open a plan under his name soon...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you! I'll try all of these tonight. I'm even trying to bring neighbors he knows with me. If they're comfortable with it, even their dog (his best friend and first puppy he met on the day I took him home). These are definitely trying times...

You are doing GREAT. Powers is so lucky & blessed to have a dad like you - who is fighting for him, and not giving up. I admire your strength! We will all be waiting for updates!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm praying he eats...Jessica's right he really is lucky to have a dad like you.:pray::pray::pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online