RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry this is happening to and the little guy. Just read about mandibular osteopathy and hopefully you have a mild case here and the growing stops soon. Sending positive and healing thoughts your way.
I know it must be hard, but please tell the breeder so they don't use the same dogs again.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Some Advice Requested & Introduction

Relax, rest, and breathe easy. It's always a lot to take in, but I'm confident things will work out, he just needs to get past this patch. Once he's more stable, you could also consider getting a second opinion (from another doc) just to see if they agree on future treatment, etc. Like Riisi said hopefully his case is mild. Will continue praying for Powers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. This will be a brief update again as I'm once again pretty beat for the day. I'll be back in the morning to add pictures to everything.

Powers now is having low temperature readings (99 degrees as of last check), so they've been putting him near warmers to get him to a normal range. Still not eating (though they syringe-fed him a little), but they tell me the only way he'll drink water is through the water hose out back (which made me laugh a little because he's one of those dogs who chomps at water sprinklers). The doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss what we plan on doing next, as he's running on about a week with no real food intake. She's mentioning feeding tubes or quality of life decisions as the potential next fork in the road.

Do any of you have any experiences with having to make these decisions? What are your rationales behind each scenario? I'll spend the morning doing more research, but for now I don't know a lot about tube-feeding at home and what costs and maintenance that entails. I don't want to give up on Powers, but I also want to make sure I'm doing this for his good over mine. I know this sounds pretty intense, but it's a real decision I'm having to consider in the near future. Thanks again, everyone.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Wow not much that i can add but yes it is worth it
My heart aches when i read this posting, sending more prayers and well wishes - fingers and paws crossed
Huge hugs :pray::heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@fitchalcyone
Chip-
I'll tell you what, they are alot of work, and a breed of their own. They are nothing like a retriever or lab. They are much more high maintenance, HOWEVER I'm sure you've noticed this slowly on your own already, the love they have for us is unreal. Like no other breed I've ever owned. They are so loving, and loyal, but honestly they aren't for everyone because not everyone can handle the amount of time, work, love, care, they need; along with financially as well.

While it hasn't been easy for you in the beginning rest assure it does get easier. He's still a pup, but will mature, and grow out of alot of the young spazing moments, or shark bite phase. My Tyson is now 9 yrs old and he is the most docile, loving, cuddle bug.

Insurance wise: This is something that you have to personally decide on. Honestly, with a bulldog you will need some sort of fund. Insurance will not cover anything that's already going on, because they will consider it pre-existing, but its not a bad idea for future. I have heard good things about Trupanion, and wished I had gone with them. We are with VPI, and while they have covered a majority of Tyson's bills, with insurance you still have to pay at the time of service, then submit the bills to the insurance carrier. So we personally have a credit card on reserve that solely belongs to Tyson. We use that for all his needs, and then wait for the reimbursement and pay that towards the card.

You will learn something new everyday with him, and I will tell you that you are doing an AMAZING job so far. You have researched enough to find us, and this forum is a wealth of knowledge. All together, we've probably been through it all, everything you can think of. We are here for you, and will help as much as we can. Powers was "meant" for you, that's just the way it goes. I know he's going to pull through this, he'll need you there to help him, push him, and care for him in his recovery.

We're so happy you are here, and I will be checking in for updates!! Please give Powers a big hug from me & Tyson!

Perfection !!! Great post Jessica

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, everyone. This will be a brief update again as I'm once again pretty beat for the day. I'll be back in the morning to add pictures to everything.

Powers now is having low temperature readings (99 degrees as of last check), so they've been putting him near warmers to get him to a normal range. Still not eating (though they syringe-fed him a little), but they tell me the only way he'll drink water is through the water hose out back (which made me laugh a little because he's one of those dogs who chomps at water sprinklers). The doctor is supposed to call me tomorrow to discuss what we plan on doing next, as he's running on about a week with no real food intake. She's mentioning feeding tubes or quality of life decisions as the potential next fork in the road.

Do any of you have any experiences with having to make these decisions? What are your rationales behind each scenario? I'll spend the morning doing more research, but for now I don't know a lot about tube-feeding at home and what costs and maintenance that entails. I don't want to give up on Powers, but I also want to make sure I'm doing this for his good over mine. I know this sounds pretty intense, but it's a real decision I'm having to consider in the near future. Thanks again, everyone.

Sending lots pf love prayers and positive thoughts

I have no experience with these issues and am sorry you and your baby are going through all this.
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION].

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Oh gosh. Do they know why he's getting worse? Are the meds not doing anything? They can keep him hydrated via IV. I've never been in the situation, and I hate that you are going through this :( I'm a very emotional person & would do everything I could to save him. But I also understand the quality of life side. I would see what they recommend, possibly call around & seek 2nd opinions. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, other than keeping you both in my prayers. May God show you the correct path, praying for a breakthrough, and for Powers to make some progress. Poor sweet baby.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
As far as I know, the meds are at least keeping him relatively comfortable. Each night I visit him he seems "okay," though you can still tell that something is on his mind and distracting him from being himself. He has been kept hydrated by them through IVs as well, thankfully.

I haven't heard from the doctor yet today, but I'm just waiting on laundry to finish before I head over there to visit and discuss the situation further. I have a lot of questions ready for her regarding the tube process should I go with that, and then I hope to speak to Powers' main vet tomorrow to see what she thinks, as well. The emergency clinic has been good about updating her with progress, so I'll see if she has seen the new information and get her input. She is in love with Powers (she also has a Frenchie) and I've always felt comfortable with discussions with her. I'll keep you all posted with what happens. Thanks so much, once again.

powers x-ray.jpg_DSC2395.jpgWP_20150925_21_29_19_Pro.jpgWP_20150926_22_14_32_Pro.jpg

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so sorry to hear this. You're doing everything you can for him and you're a great bulldog dad.

Maybe soon he would be healthy enough to spend some nights at home and perhaps that would lift his spirits and encourage him to eat a bit? My Ruckus had pneumonia when he was a puppy and it was awful. It took weeks and weeks for him to fully recover. Bulldogs are tough, sending positive thoughts your way!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Some Advice Requested & Introduction

If only he knew how many people are praying for him to get through this.

Be sure to let him know tonight ;)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
As far as I know, the meds are at least keeping him relatively comfortable. Each night I visit him he seems "okay," though you can still tell that something is on his mind and distracting him from being himself. He has been kept hydrated by them through IVs as well, thankfully.

I haven't heard from the doctor yet today, but I'm just waiting on laundry to finish before I head over there to visit and discuss the situation further. I have a lot of questions ready for her regarding the tube process should I go with that, and then I hope to speak to Powers' main vet tomorrow to see what she thinks, as well. The emergency clinic has been good about updating her with progress, so I'll see if she has seen the new information and get her input. She is in love with Powers (she also has a Frenchie) and I've always felt comfortable with discussions with her. I'll keep you all posted with what happens. Thanks so much, once again.

View attachment 91627View attachment 91628View attachment 91629View attachment 91630

Checking in on Powers.
How is he doing?

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm very late to all of this, but I just want to send my love and support for you and sweet, beautiful Powers.

You are an amazing dad, and Powers is blessed to have you. I look forward to updates on this sweet boy.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone.

As of today, Powers still isn't eating. He has shown some mouth movement during my visits (licking his nose, small chewing motions), but only on a few occasions and never with food. The doctors are stressing that with him not eating for so long, I'm very close to needing to make a decision on what to do. Frankly, I'm not happy with either option because it sounds like I will lose him either way (tube or euthanizing). I asked the doctor last night during my visit what she thought about me taking him home once the pneumonia symptoms were finished and see if he may take to eating in a more comfortable setting (home). The only problem is, at home he will be removed from all of the IV medications he is currently on that have been keeping him afloat.

I'm really not sure what to do right now. This is a decisive moment I am not prepared to have to make and I'm worried that my stalling isn't helping Powers' situation, either. Everything is a gamble right now and I'm just under a lot of stress.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, everyone.

As of today, Powers still isn't eating. He has shown some mouth movement during my visits (licking his nose, small chewing motions), but only on a few occasions and never with food. The doctors are stressing that with him not eating for so long, I'm very close to needing to make a decision on what to do. Frankly, I'm not happy with either option because it sounds like I will lose him either way (tube or euthanizing). I asked the doctor last night during my visit what she thought about me taking him home once the pneumonia symptoms were finished and see if he may take to eating in a more comfortable setting (home). The only problem is, at home he will be removed from all of the IV medications he is currently on that have been keeping him afloat.

I'm really not sure what to do right now. This is a decisive moment I am not prepared to have to make and I'm worried that my stalling isn't helping Powers' situation, either. Everything is a gamble right now and I'm just under a lot of stress.

What did the doc say in reference to taking him home? Have they tried wet canned food? The tube would at least give his body nutrient he needs to regain strength. He may not need it forever. Is that correct?

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
They've tried just about everything in the food aspect, from liquified to treats to syringe-feeding (in which he would often spit out most of it). The tube is a very big mixed bag and risk, given his condition. Along with the procedure being a risk in general, he is more susceptible to pneumonia and choking because of his restricted jaw movements. The main doctor predicts the tube may be a forever thing, and I'm still trying to find ways to justify that on a 6-month old puppy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.