fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone. I know it's not exactly fitting that my first-ever post here is in the health forum, but I figured any intro is better than none. My name is Chip and I finally pulled the trigger on a English Bulldog puppy in May. I've wanted one for years and this one sort of fell into my hands (though that's an interesting, albeit long, story I'll save for another time). His name is Powers and he's currently 6.5 months old. I'll include a few pictures below; you'll probably see why he was my pick from the litter.

So, I'm here introducing myself in the health section because, frankly, Powers is sick. Since 9/13, he's been very out of it. On any given day, Powers is a very energetic puppy, loving to play with his toys, go outside and socialize, and hating bedtime. Up to this day, he has been using his day to sleep or cuddle with me. He doesn't eat very much at all but will go for the water regularly. He went to see his vet on 9/20 and she gave me antibiotics to address his fever and eyedrops for more eye discharge than usual. His antibiotics are a week's supply, and I return to the vet on Saturday for follow-up.

For you all experienced with bulldogs and their times of sickness, what signs should I generally be looking for to gauge how his recovery is going? His energy level hasn't really improved on day 4 of his meds, and I'm wondering if I should get him looked at before the follow-up on Saturday. He's been sick before (upper respiratory infection), but that lasted about a week and he returned to his bouncy self. I'm just getting a little worried and I hope I'm doing this whole "parenting" thing correctly. Thank you all in advance for your input.

WP_20150605_18_06_41_Pro.jpgWP_20150919_10_03_48_Pro.jpgWP_20150919_21_57_03_Pro.jpg

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=14841]fitchalcyone[/MENTION]
Hi Chip, welcome to you and sweet Powers. What did the vet diagnose him with? And what meds is he on? Also, as far as food goes, are you giving him his usual food, or are you doing bland? If he's been sick, and you're not already - I would do a bland diet, some boiled chicken & rice, and I'd add a little pumpkin in there. When they aren't feeling well, alot of times they will eat the bland.

What other symptoms is showing? Besides sleeping....

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is a definite pick of the litter, I'm wondering too what you are feeding him? Alot of times the antibiotics that vets give could be causing the listlessness and sleeping because they are making him not feel like himself.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Is Powers drinking normally? Could he have eaten something he should not have? I would not wait till saturday to have him seen,especially if he is not eating. Does he eat a high value treat like cheese?

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Hi, everyone, and thank you for the warm welcomes. I'll try to address the questions by order of posts.

The vet diagnosed him with a fever and then mucous in his stool. He's on amoxicillin capsules and tobramycin eyedrops for his leaky eyes. Last week he was more receptive to the chicken and rice method, but I cooked a new batch yesterday and he really hasn't touched it much at all. Symptom-wise, he is just lethargic and not up for much of anything. Even with his neighborhood friends (humans and dogs alike), he isn't as interested as usual. Also, lots of drooling. I know bulldogs characteristically can be pretty mellow, but I am not yet experienced in how well this translates when they're sick.

For his usual diet, I feed him Bil Jac dry food. This was recommended by his breeder, and I've followed it since day one. Going more specific, he is eating the large breed adult formula, again a recommendation by the breeder.

Powers will drink a lot of water throughout the day, and that's pretty much it. Treat-wise, I rotate through various Bil Jac flavors. Sometimes I'll mix it up and give him boiled chicken as treats, but not often.

Thanks, everyone.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi, everyone, and thank you for the warm welcomes. I'll try to address the questions by order of posts.

The vet diagnosed him with a fever and then mucous in his stool. He's on amoxicillin capsules and tobramycin eyedrops for his leaky eyes. Last week he was more receptive to the chicken and rice method, but I cooked a new batch yesterday and he really hasn't touched it much at all. Symptom-wise, he is just lethargic and not up for much of anything. Even with his neighborhood friends (humans and dogs alike), he isn't as interested as usual. Also, lots of drooling. I know bulldogs characteristically can be pretty mellow, but I am not yet experienced in how well this translates when they're sick.

For his usual diet, I feed him Bil Jac dry food. This was recommended by his breeder, and I've followed it since day one. Going more specific, he is eating the large breed adult formula, again a recommendation by the breeder.

Powers will drink a lot of water throughout the day, and that's pretty much it. Treat-wise, I rotate through various Bil Jac flavors. Sometimes I'll mix it up and give him boiled chicken as treats, but not often.

Thanks, everyone.

Did the vet xray his stomach? Lethargy & drooling are big red flags to possible obstruction. Is there anyway he could eaten something he shouldn't have? A rock, an acorn, part of a toy, etc??

I personally would ask the vet for an x-ray, how are his stools?

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
No x-rays were conducted during his last visit. I don't recall him eating anything foreign; I'm usually pretty watchful of what he's putting into his mouth. Stools aren't solid for a few days now. Mainly just a goopy mess of diaherra, though not much since he's not getting much food in his system.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No x-rays were conducted during his last visit. I don't recall him eating anything foreign; I'm usually pretty watchful of what he's putting into his mouth. Stools aren't solid for a few days now. Mainly just a goopy mess of diaherra, though not much since he's not getting much food in his system.

Please ask for the xray, these guys are quick when it comes to swallowing things. My Tyson had swallowed 3 socks we had no clue, his symptoms were lethargy, drooling, lip smacking, diarrhea and then neglecting food. Also towards the tail end he started vomiting the food he would eat. It's your call, but I would definitely be asking for that next, especially since you are not seeing any signs of improvement. The antibiotic should show some sort of improvement at around day 2-3. I would press on his belly and see if he's sensitive in any areas. But don't wait too long please, bc (God forbid) he did eat something, things can turn from bad to worse quick depending on where the object is. They can become septic, or the item can get logged in their intestines. You don't know how many times we've seen it here with our own babies. @2BullyMama - Her Banks had a rock in her belly!

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
Thank you for the input, Jessica. Do you think I should err on the side of caution and try an emergency clinic or wait until Saturday?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for the input, Jessica. Do you think I should err on the side of caution and try an emergency clinic or wait until Saturday?

Can you get him to his vet in the morning? I would do ER if you see him just completely turn for the worse, or if he starts vomiting. You are his best judge since you know him best.

OP
fitchalcyone

fitchalcyone

Sep 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Powers
His vet appointment is on Saturday. He has vomited little bits of food that he's had, but nothing randomly. I forgot to mention that he's been going around with his mouth open a little as if he's breathing through it instead of his nose. When he eats or drinks it seems like it's harder for him to do than usual.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
His vet appointment is on Saturday. He has vomited little bits of food that he's had, but nothing randomly. I forgot to mention that he's been going around with his mouth open a little as if he's breathing through it instead of his nose. When he eats or drinks it seems like it's harder for him to do than usual.

Okay, I didn't know he had vomited already. Breathing is scary & super serirous with the breed - I'd get him to a clinic right away. Xrays first, then maybe ultrasound dep on what the xray shows - he may have something lodged. or something in his lungs - infection wise. Is he hacking or trying to clear phlegm? ** If that does occur, and he's having an issue clearing, shoot a shot of lemon juice down his throat. It will help tremendously to clear it out for him**

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Please keep us posted, I really pray its nothing serious, but I would get him checked out for sure as soon as you can, I would not be waiting til Saturday. Praying for sweet Powers.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
vomiting and breathing issues are very serious. mine had aspiration/pneumonia and had the same symptoms.
i would take him to a veterinary hospital and have them do chest x-rays for the lungs at least.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, the symptoms you are describing could be very serious. These guys are OK until their not. They go down hill very fast. My vote is regular vet first thing in the morning or emergency vet. Definitely do not wait until saturday. I'm sorry if I sound a bit alarmist to you but I have seen this too many time to count, thesee guys are quick to grab something they shouldnt. Especially toys and socks and underwear.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online